It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only 50%-60% Of Americans care who will run their country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This year, roughly 120 million people voted out of an estimated 231 million eligible voters.

The ratio of voters to non-voting citizens was roughly the same in 2012, 2008, 2004. Even less in 2000, 1996, 1992.

Our population was highest(Out of the dates mentioned) in 1992 (Yet had the lowest turn out of voters.), and have been steadily decreasing ever sense.

This means over the past nearly 30 years, only 50-60% of American people have taken the initiative to go out and vote.

What is the other 40-50% doing/thinking?

Could be a number of things:

Not caring about politics at all.
Too lazy to go vote.
Don't like any choice they have.

What do you think about these numbers and what they reflect? I know it is probably naive to expect 100% turn out at the voting polls. But I was expecting at least 70% to have been voting over the years, instead I find that it's about half, or a little more than half!
edit on 11-11-2016 by DeadCat because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2016 by DeadCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Half the people think it doesn't matter which crook we are allowed to choose from is running things.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadCat

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these paid protesters were among these 50-60%.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

What is the other 40-50% doing/thinking?

I've been debating, paying attention, researching, stressing, worrying... and voting for so many years and SO LITTLE of what I want to see happen has actually happened.

So... if I was part of the 40-50% that didn't vote.... considering so little of what I want to see happen actually happens... who is the idiot? The "idiot" that doesn't bother to engage and lives his/her life care-free or me... the "idiot" that spends so much energy trying to debate/negotiate/change things...?

I sort of feel like the idiot at the moment....

Disclaimer: This message has been brought to you by several glasses of pino grigio

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

You can be outraged if you want. But ask yourself, should those low life's vote? We all learned what democracy is, and they are obviously apathetic and don't keep up with current events. Thank them for sitting out.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well, some fall into categories where voting is irrelevant or not possible...the aged, the infirm, the ill, the ones with work or personal schedule conflicts, the ones without means, the ones with pressing or unexpected problems in their lives, the ones who don't speak english and feel too uniformed to make a selection or to understand the process....etc.

20 million people alone in this country have felony records and are largely not permitted to vote.

Not all of it is about apathy.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Find the middle path.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I have heard this argument before about the non voting masses being lazy.

I personally believe it is the difference between the brainwashed and those who never tuned in to become brainwashed.

Voting for a ruler is absurd, we lost our republic long ago, immediately following Jackson.

Sovereignty does not require leaders, this has been lost on all except a few of the founders and those who understand their own psychology.

These puppets that are put on the screen do not represent any of "we the people" they represent the dollars that put them there, this "sElection" is case and point.
edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago11America/Chicago1130pmFriday11 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

You can be outraged if you want. But ask yourself, should those low life's vote? We all learned what democracy is, and they are obviously apathetic and don't keep up with current events. Thank them for sitting out.

I'm not outraged at all, just surprised.

Great point. xD

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Perhaps some of them have realized that it doesn't really matter which puppet of the corporate mafia is currently pretending to be in power.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I'm disgusted to make that point, it is what it is.

top topics

join