It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trooper's widow urges voters to reject legalizing marijuana

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=21427228]pointessa[/post why do some people think that passing new laws will fix things? its already illegal to drive drunk but, people still do it. I could go on and on. no more war on drugs. it has not worked and has filled our prisons and we are footing the bill. I say legalize and tax the sh*t out of it.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
a reply to: searcherfortruth

Thousands are killed by drunk drivers yearly, where is the outrage and demands for illegality?

Oh yeah, ......

you are absolutely right alcohol does seem to be the sacred cow among drugs. Sometimes I am quite amazed by the way it is portrayed in movies. I don't watch very many movies and yet I did watch one about a pilot who had a drinking problem the pilot was played by Denzel Washington... I'm sure you know the movie...in the movie he comes into work drinking everyday. Yet on this one occasion he performs a miraculous feat in order to save most of the people on the aircraft from being killed. It is almost as if the drinking is glorified in that movie.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Let us all take note, and end this topic:

Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows

This discussion is now over.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

oh my god this is terirble 1 cannibis related death out of how many years, 1 cras hon the road out of how many people driving high? probabilty is very slim in terms weed and accidents.

i smoke weed all the time not for medicial just coz i like it and have many growing friends. i dont drink as itsd poision. i work a deent career and smoke in evenigs and at weeknds. i love driving high and drive so much better as i drive slower and more vigilant.

i do agree that people driving high should have the same rules as drink driving. if i get caught i will probably get banned but being in the UK police aint as bad as USA.i know many people who drive and smoke, have the crashed? no. but eveyone is different due to what they can handle and how strong the stuff is.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
If the anti-legalization people were serious about the things they say then they would go in a different direction. I guarantee that well over 90% of heroin and crack addicts smoked tobacco products (scientifically proven to be addictive) before moving to the harder drugs. Therefore, based on the anti-league's own gateway argument, tobacco is the REAL gateway drug. So, shutdown big-tobacco and everything will be butterflies and zebras.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I don't get the hate.. if someone loses a loved one to anything.. they may well make impassioned pleas or to take steps to prevent that from happening to someone else. Just because she was the wife of a police officer doesn't make her a special snowflake you should single out and throw your distaste towards government or the police.

Many actors, sports figures, etc. (i.e. people with spare $$$) often do the same, when their own children or family are afflicted by a disease. They probably couldn't care less about a multitude of diseases and ailments, but.. once it strikes closer to home, they are suddenly a huge advocate of finding a cure, or preventing future cases.

This lady lost her husband to a drunk driver basically, and so she is upset and wants to prevent it in the future. She'd probably be better served to have the same sorts of laws apply for driving while under the influence of the weed, rather than trying to ban it outright.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Just heard on the radio, a study shows that smoking mj actually improves night vision

www.theguardian.com...

Interesting.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

I agree completely with what you have said I have seen cases and know of a personal case where the mind can become very keen and I have never seen anyone affected to the point where they're driving was impacted in any significant or deteriorated way..

In reading more about the case of the trooper that was killed... witnesses to the accident said that the man went across 3 Lanes of traffic and struck the trooper.....that in my opinion is obviously not the effects of marijuana the man either fell asleep or dropped something on the floor and went down there to get it. Unfortunately there are no statements from the driver as to exactly what happened.

Although if it was the last nacho cheese Dorito that he went down there after I'm afraid there may be a strong case against the cannabis
edit on 28-10-2016 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

And how many people have died from pot again... I'll wait while you check for those stats.

Seriously, Cannabis is more or less the only substance on this planet that CAN'T kill us. You can die from to much air, too much water, too much anything... except pot. Our bodies have a natural blocker (pregnenolone) that prevents us from overdosing from the THC and other cannabanoids, meaning that for all intents and purposes it's the safest thing on this planet for us.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

dumb story

weed is good for everything.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaCook

originally posted by: NuncaPiensas

originally posted by: DaCook

originally posted by: NuncaPiensas

I feel sadness for the trooper and his family who lost him.

However, this is not a case of marijuana being the cause of the troopers death. It was caused by the actions of the person who killed him.

This person would have made the same poor choices with alcohol, marijuana, or any other substance.

Good post, kinda hit the nail on the head. Guns don't kill, people do. For sure pot did it. Does it every time and always has.

Denny

I take it that your comments about pot are sarcastic ones.

I am just hoping to see the day when we are hit with a virus....a virus that finally makes mankind actually stand up and be responsible for their own faults.

When responsibility is the norm, not blaming anything they can get away with to divert blame.

What the hell is that about? When I went to college, pretty much everyone I knew smoked pot n drank some. Just college kids being college kids, we even occasionally had sex. Shame on us! Hell, we used to do parties, smoked pot, drank, n if ya got lucky... had a little sex. Obviously god would have spited us all n destroyed our town.

Problem is all my roommates got advanced degrees. Some are physicians, some attorneys, some did other things like being teachers. Sorry, I've helped teach over a hundred surgical courses, oversaw industry standards thousands of surgeons n my best friend and former roommate is an attorney. Sorry that I was never a responsible person. Damn to this day, I'll smoke a little pot, drink some, n if I'm lucky... have a little sex. Hope god does't get me. But no one I know murdered anyone. Sorry to disappoint.

Denny

I believe we're having something of a communication snafu here.

What I was saying was that people are always looking to blame actions they committed on some external focus.

Alcohol.
Cocaine.
Religion.
L.Ron Hubbard.
Marijuana.

If I killed someone because of a car accident, I killed them. It was not the marijuana that said "Hey, smoke me." followed by the marijuana saying "Hey, get behind the wheel of a car.".

Attorneys are making tons of money getting people off on excuses. Even "affluence" is now at least acceptable enough to be entered into a court case.

Denny, I was not saying that anyone who smokes marijuana is automatically a bad person. I was referring to our culture of placing blame rather than accepting blame. Whether it is the person who stupendously decided to get high, then get in the car and drive...or, the person who says marijuana should be made illegal because it MAKES people consume it, and then make life threatening choices as a result.

The gun doesn't kill. It's the person that pulls the trigger that kills.

Now, pass that spliff, willya?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Not really.

Has making it illegal made it any worse?

Same answer.

It has made it worse for me so yeah.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Why not legalise heroin too? After all "it's just a plant", just like cannabis is "just a plant".

Or opium? (Same plant as heroin)

Plants can't be dangerous.

/sarcasm

Fair question.... why not legalize it?

Explain to me what purpose any recreational drug law actually has?

In my view, drug laws serve no purpose other than to generate revenue and confiscate private property. Talk to anyone who loves our drug laws and they all say the same thing. 'People who use will steal from you'... we have laws against stealing. 'People who use will kill or hurt others to get their fix'... guess what? We have laws against that too! So please explain to me like I was a 5 year old- what purpose does it serve to add on a drug charge to any other crime that may have occurred?

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy

originally posted by: sputniksteve

Thousands are killed by drunk drivers yearly, where is the outrage and demands for illegality?

Oh yeah, ......

you are absolutely right alcohol does seem to be the sacred cow among drugs. Sometimes I am quite amazed by the way it is portrayed in movies. I don't watch very many movies and yet I did watch one about a pilot who had a drinking problem the pilot was played by Denzel Washington... I'm sure you know the movie...in the movie he comes into work drinking everyday. Yet on this one occasion he performs a miraculous feat in order to save most of the people on the aircraft from being killed. It is almost as if the drinking is glorified in that movie.

Watch "Vampire Diaries" first season.

They demonize Marijuana while at the same time glorify teenage drinking.

It's disgusting.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

It is a human right to consume meth, coc aine, heroin, and any other drug in any quantity we choose as human beings. Our body is our choice. You don't get to decide what I do in my house. Prohibition is proven to kill more people than criminalization could ever come close to killing.

All those drugs have already LEGAL in pharmaceutical form. Want meth? Get Aderal. There are what hundreds of psych meds that affect driving. Cocaine was legal by pharma form and was discontinued by the manufacturer. The only ones they want banned are the ones big pharma has no patent on. Coincidence? Aderal is legal because there is patent on it, yet the effect is the same as meth! I have not looked into heroin but I've heard there are a lot of drugs just like it very legal in the form of big pharma profitable forms. But of course there are probably hundreds of meds that can affect driving and many of them come with labels about that!

We don't have to worry about any bans becuase you DO get to decide what I do on the public road after I get there. But, it would only be appropriate to stop me from driving if I have (A) caused an accident that lead to a personal physical injury (B) driven so recklessly as to be confident that (A) would happen.

What would be morally wrong is to use drivers licenses as revenue collection tools where if a driver is poor then they don't get to drive because they can't afford big fines and fees, but if a driver is rich they can just go ahead and plow over everyone killing people left and right because they have the money for the fines and fees. Thats what is morally wrong, not sniffing coke on a day off on the weekend, that would be irrelevant and none of your business.

ALL substances can be consumed in moderation. It is for us to decide what to plant and what to do to modify those substances on our private property. And it is the governments job to GTFO and leave us alone until damage happens. Once damage happens, the laws are plentiful with resolutions although too expensive.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AlbanArthur

Thank you for bringing that movie to my attention perhaps I shall watch it in the future.

As far as letting cannabis completely loose ...the biggest problem facing that right now is our transportation system....it is extremely dangerous.

I just want to reiterate a few facts about our transportation system that people may not readily think about. Just stop for a minute and think about the fact that everyday millions of people go out onto the roads and highways in this country and hurdle toward each other at speeds in excess of 60 miles an hour....passing within mere feet of one another.

This is equivalent to driving at 120 miles an hour towards a stationary solid object and passing it by just a couple of feet and doing it over and over again every day. On average every year well over 30,000 people are killed due to our transportation system . And literally millions are injured in accidents created on our highways and roads.

Now just start thinking about the peripheral damage caused by these deaths and injuries
How many millions of people lose a family member or close friend.......?

The bottom line is the type of system that we have in place now... requires too many people to have to maintain too high of a level of responsibility over too long of a period of time.

I hope this doesn't derail the thread but I feel that the transportation system is half of the story of this story and cannabis is the other half.

edit on 29-10-2016 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

the man went across 3 Lanes of traffic and struck the trooper.....that in my opinion is obviously not the effects of marijuana the man either fell asleep or dropped something on the floor and went down there to get it.

i reckon thats what it came down too. plus your always paraniod that the person behind you is an undercover police officer so you tend to drive well anyway

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Why not legalise heroin too? After all "it's just a plant", just like cannabis is "just a plant".

Or opium? (Same plant as heroin)

Plants can't be dangerous.

/sarcasm

Well....has making any of them illegal really made our country better?

Why do we criminalize psychological/medical issues, anyway? Should we start putting people with the flu in prison, too?

Actually they do keep people confined for diseases. It's called quarantine. Making substances illegal and quarantining sick people certainly hasn't made our country any better.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
yet she's fine with alcohol i presume...

3 side effects of marijuana....

crashing a vehicle is seldom (if ever) the cause. cautious driving is if, a mild correlation, the result of a part of the brain knowing its in an altered state and restrict carelessness in the motor skills. unlike heroin or other which subdues (retards) one's motor skills, and impairs everything. canaboid stimulates specific 'feel good nerves'.
this is layman terms...
edit on 13-12-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

If she was killed by a drunk driver I wonder if she would want alcohol to be made illegal.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join