It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars - Rogue One Trailer 2

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Looks like this could be the best Star Wars movie ever made

The cinematography looks absolutely beautiful
The CGI looks as Star Wars should look from the pilot in the X-wing scene to the actual space, air and land battles
The costumes have been nailed down perfectly
It's got Donnie Yen
The story on paper sounds great

The only question I have is, why would they need the female leads father as a key engineer to build it when at the end of episode 3 we see the Death Star already in construction based on the Engineering plans provided by the Geonosians. What makes the father key to the construction (apart from possibly shoehorned into the story to purposefully add that engineering vent which ultimately helps the rebels destroy it) ?

Of course the trailers for episode 7 looked fantastic too but that wasn't as epic a film as the trailers made it out to be, but this will hopefully has a better chance to be original in sense of story as it's a prequel to episode 4 (basically episode 3.5) and won't have the same people as the main story (bar Vader and Mon Mothma)
edit on 16/10/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I agree with you, this one I'm actually expecting to be great.

The way I understand the situation is that the girls father is the mind behind the planet destroying laser. Something to do with the crystals that power it.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

The original cut was not well received so many scenes were reshot to give it more of a war story type feel.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

The only question I have is, why would they need the female leads father as a key engineer to build it when at the end of episode 3 we see the Death Star already in construction based on the Engineering plans provided by the Geonosians.

Actually if you think about it, it makes sense.

there are 19 years between episode 3 and 4 and we see a young Jin in the flash back so if she is in her mid twenties in this movie then the time line could actually work out.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Here is a fan theory video that makes some sense.

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Cool so it's related to Kyber Crystals

I found this on one of the star wars wikis

After the fall of the Galactic Republic and the rise of the Galactic Empire, Sidious—publicly known as Emperor Palpatine—and his Empire constructed the Death Star, a battle station capable of destroying entire planets. Kyber crystals were used as part of the Death Star's superlaser[1] and the Empire continued to search for new crystals five years before the Battle of Yavin. One such crystal was located by the rebels from Lothal, who discovered its location and destroyed it. The destruction produced a large shockwave, destroying everything in its path

I wonder if the clip we see on the planet with the fallen massive Jedi statue at 39 seconds is from Lothal and further in the trailer we see a huge explosion from the ground near some ruins at 2min 03seconds, which I presume is the shockwave from the crysals destruction ? Might not be related but certainly seems to tie together

And Episode 4 starts after Leia having received the stolen data for the Death Star so the films timeline can't be far off and would fit in with the Lothal story, I see some shots from Yavin IV too and the Great Temple of Massassi in the trailer as well at 44 seconds

Watched that video a few weeks back and it certainly makes sense
edit on 16/10/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What do we have here-- yet ANOTHER Death Star? Yet ANOTHER Darth Vader wannabe? Seven was a rehash of six. Now it looks like eight is going to be a rehash of seven. Deja vu all over again--again, like a recurring bad dream. just make it stop! We got it the first time--really!

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Where they get the kyber crystals from is not really known yet, I would bet though its going to be illum which would be very cool and possibly explain why we see the massive jedi statue.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

This isn't Episode VIII, this is a stand alone film about the Rebels capturing the plans for the first Death Star in a lead up to A New Hope.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
My mate Riz is in this. Looks pretty awesome and a bit more gritty/dark than the other movies. Also excited to see some Donnie Yen fight scenes.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
What do we have here-- yet ANOTHER Death Star? Yet ANOTHER Darth Vader wannabe? Seven was a rehash of six. Now it looks like eight is going to be a rehash of seven. Deja vu all over again--again, like a recurring bad dream. just make it stop! We got it the first time--really!

Its not another death star its the original death star its the story of how they got the plans to the death star, the movies is supposed to finish just right before the start of A New Hope. Also this is going to be the most unique of all the star wars movies so far.

Additionally this "Darth Vader wannabe" is actually being voiced by James eral Jones, the original darth Vader.... hardly a wannabe....

And this even itsnt episode 8 its a stand alone anthology movie.

It really annoys me when people start hating on stuff like this when they quite clearly know so little about the movie.
edit on 16-10-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

It's another Death Star because the film is between episode 3 & 4 during the Death Stars construction and the rebels theft of the Death Star plans. If they don't steal the plans then 4 never happens so it HAS to have the death star even though we all know it doesn't get destroyed in this film.

And it's not a Darth Vader wannabe, it IS Darth Vader overseeing the construction, he's in it because he was there during the timeline although he won't playing a major role in the film

So it's nothing like the EP7/EP4 similarities, it's hopefully going to be a completely unique (although tying together EP's 3 & 4 together) story

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Oh, OK. So it's not just another repeat. I stand corrected. Thank you. It's just the Death Star--again, for the third time. I guess that makes it all better.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I guess that makes it all better.

It should be a pretty good film, the test audience feedback on it has been very good since they reshoot.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Ya gotta admit that the plot of episode 7 was disappointing.
Basicly just a rehash of episode 4.
With all the fan ideas and over twenty years since the first movie you would think they could have come up with a new story.
Everything else was great though.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I disagree about the plot to TFA.

The motivation of the characters throughout the entire movie is to find Luke that is actually the overriding plot yes the giant space weapon crops up again but its not a movie about destroying death star 3.0 rather i see it as a movie about finding Luke Skywalker.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Yep I liked the film but didn't love it like the original trilogy, I honestly didn't find Kylo convincing enough as a villain either though, he reminded me too much of the whiny little teen with anger issues (Young Vader) from the prequel trilogy although I did enjoy Revenge of the Sith, it was the best of the worst trilogy.

This Rogue One though hopefully won't suffer any of the issues we've seen with EP7 and the prequel trilogy and at the very least will expand the universe (even though the universe had gotten expanded until Disney bought the rights and decided the expanded universe was now null and void)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

expand the universe (even though the universe had gotten expanded until Disney bought the rights and decided the expanded universe was now null and void)

The universe is expanding though.

Disney had to get rid of all the old cannon otherwise the new movies would never have worked it would have massively restricted what they wanted to do and limited creativity.

The new stuff in the EU is so far pretty good with a few notable exceptions being pretty bad (I am looking at you aftermath) but the universe is expanding introducing new characters like Dr Apha who is actually getting her own comic after being so well received by fans of the new Vader comics.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I don't know, it just felt the same.

Orphan kid on a desert planet reluctant to leave, then taken under the wing of an older father figure. Father figure then dies by a light saber during a sabotage attempt in the ultimate space weapon.
Throw in cute robots and secret plans, you don't know which movie I'm talking about.

To similar for my taste.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The first things that strike me about this movie was the way it felt more real in a way the old movies were, the CGI looked good, it didnt have that foggy unreal feel to it which i think is a HELL of a good start (reliance on CGI has been one of the pitfalls for all but the orginals).

The next thing that struck me was seeing Vader again o/

Lets hope this trailer isnt like the ones for force awakens and that the movies delivers. Looking forward much more to this than force awakens (the trailers didnt move me at all, saw "because" rather than really wanted to).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join