It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Signs of Extraterrestrial Intelligence Found

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Someone spoilt it

Back to the OP can we figure out if it is any type of signal? can it even contain a message? what do we need to do to find out more?.
Send a probe towards the lights to try and catch clearer light signals? I dunno! I'm just guessing but I sure hope in my lifetime we find out....
The odds of being alive when we find out this news wow I will feel lucky.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

I'm sorry... guilty as charged. Was meant in good humor though. Mostly did it to bookmark the thread cause it interests me.

That said, even if it does prove true, they'll simply lie and call it something else anyway. They'll do anything but confirm anything. Simply pull us along tantalizingly to keep us thinking it's just around the corner so that most of us refuse to accept it's already known.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Direct link to the PDF of the analysis: arxiv.org...

I can't pretend to comprehend it, but it does sound intriguing. For those capable of understanding it, it does appear they give detailed analysis for why certain explanations cannot account for the signal. They don't conclude that ETI is the only remaining explanation, but merely state that it is one possible explanation, and that the others considered in the study are highly improbable.

Peace.

edit on 10/12/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Typo, added thought.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I'm not convinced it is fully known and am convinced they would tell us.
If they are advanced they could hide everything from everyone. I think people give our governments too much credit tbh they would never be able to keep it secret.
I think it would be a game changer I do think we would evolve in every way just knowing the truth.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

If we all close our eyes and wish maybe Phage will appear.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Fully known? No I don't think it's fully known. I think it's a phenomena they have no control over and thus refuse to acknowledge to save face and maintain the illusion they are in control.

As for hiding it? You don't need to hide it, you just need to spread enough misinformation that the truth is impossible to discern due to hoax's and character attacks creating reasonable doubt. Multiple ways to do so.

It's not really that hard to do. I don't get why people think it's impossible. Sure straight up hiding it would be, but they aren't they're burying it in so much trash it's impossible to determine truth from junk.
edit on 10/12/2016 by Puppylove because: grammar and spelling

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
So, I am not an astronomer and had to do a little more reading to make sense of what was being presented.

Most stars are currently classified under the Morgan–Keenan (MK) system using the letters O, B, A, F, G, K, and M, a sequence from the hottest (O type) to the coolest (M type). Each letter class is then subdivided using a numeric digit with 0 being hottest and 9 being coolest (e.g. A8, A9, F0, F1 form a sequence from hotter to cooler). The sequence has been expanded with classes for other stars and star-like objects that do not fit in the classical system, such as class D for white dwarfs and class C for carbon stars.

Wikipedia: Stellar Classifications.

The article in OP states they looked at stars in F2 to K1 range which is decent scan of possible habitable zones. The wiki entry says the sun is a G2 type. Only 234 stars scanned had signals around them that when operated upon (Fourier transform) could not be explained by naturally occurring processes. A Fourier transform is a method of taking a continues wave and creating a new mapping in another space (I think, I do not have my math texts in front of me). So you can take a function like cosine and transform it to the hertz scale.

Then like intrptr I go, "huh". ETIs are "pulsing their sun's star light to send signals"?? I do not think I got that part right. I think it is more like the laser idea I mentioned about from that article. So the spectrum is pulsed out and when reviewed by taking continuous wave and checking for pulses within that... OH!

The ETI Hypothesis is that ET may be sending out pulsed light signals and they have detected 234 sources around habitable stars. I think that is what they are saying.

[ETA: The Fourier transformation is a fancy way of saying they took a wave and got a spectrum line out of it (I think that is how it works in light. I am coming at FTs from an electric background and math)]
edit on 12-10-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

That black poxy looking stuff on her is AA, (Alien Aids).

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I was thinking of the Brookings report where people would run panic in the streets and stop believing in Jesus and paying their taxes and stuff.

You know my answer to a peaceful planet: nuclear fusion.

a reply to: Puppylove

This is my safe space! A “no drug” zone! Fie! Fie! *sticks fingers in ears* “Tralalalala…”

a reply to: AndyMayhew and Char-Lee and AceWombat04

Thanks for posting the original article! All a got was an hour glass spinning…

I also realized my time was running short before the chaotic multi-state meeting at werk so I went with what was working at the time.

Hey, I am all Captain James T Kirk over the green space babes!

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

This is for the record, and may have no significance.

This thread title is “Possible Signs of Extraterrestrial Intelligence Found,” and the link in the OP is to an article by “brian wang” of Next Big Future, a dot com website.

The arXiv.org site referenced in the OP is Cornell University, but the paper associated makes no mention of extraterrestrials. It is entitled “Discovery of peculiar periodic spectral modulations in a small fraction of solar type stars.”

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I remember some SF novel from many years ago, where we started observing a random pulses of light, that came and went, although the pulse was regular, there was no pattern to their appearing and dissapearing.
After several decades of observations, there was still no concensus as to what the pulses were, until the alien fleet showed up and we found out we were seeing the drives when their ships were moving away from us.

And in Peter Hamilton's "Pandora's Star", the primes (the scariest alien civ. ever), used solar flares to communicate across interstellar space.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ConnectDots

Yes, still a pre-print pre-peer reviewed article at that. It is the “predicted in a previous publication” that the ETI hypothesis is mentioned (is the actual basis of the original paper).

And that is why I said I am leaning toward “confirmation bias” on the outset.

a reply to: punkinworks10

Interesting concept: engines powered by light. Or did I read that wrong? (It also a little bit of a joke by reading it wrong--just seeing who is out there).

Solar flares to communicate, I like the idea of a pulsar in a deserted galaxy! And I do love a good spooky alien story. I will have to check it out.

The one thing about SETI that I find a bit *face palm* about is the assumption ET would do what we would do (if we could do it). I mean, we have digital spread spectrum devices why use just one wavelength that anybody could see?

edit on 12-10-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Very good find. It's definitely interesting to say the least. This is how I read it. This paper was published in 2012:

Searching for extraterrestrial intelligence signals in astronomical spectra, including existing data

The main purpose of this article is to make Astronomers aware that Searches for Extraterrestrial Intelligence can be carried out by analyzing standard astronomical spectra, including those they already have taken. Simplicity is the outstanding advantage of a search in spectra. The spectra can be analyzed by simple eye inspection or a few lines of code that uses Fourier transform software. Theory, confirmed by published experiments, shows that periodic signals in spectra can be easily generated by sending light pulses separated by constant time intervals. While part of this article, like all articles on searches for ETI, is highly speculative the basic physics is sound. In particular, technology now available on Earth could be used to send signals having the required energy to be detected at a target located 1000 light years away. Extraterrestrial Intelligence (ETI) could use these signals to make us aware of their existence. For an ETI, the technique would also have the advantage that the signals could be detected both in spectra and searches for intensity pulses like those currently carried out on Earth.

arxiv.org...

This was a hypothesis that you can search for extraterrestrial signals in astronomical spectra. Fast forward to this article and it says:

They considered the possibility that the signals are caused by intensity pulses generated by Extraterrestrial Intelligence (ETI), as suggested by Borra (2012), to make us aware of their existence. The shape of the detected signals has exactly the shape predicted by Borra (2012). The ETI hypothesis is strengthened by the fact that the signals are found in stars having spectral types within a narrow spectral range centered near the G2 spectral type of the sun. Intuitively, we would expect stars having a spectral type similar to the sun to be more likely to have planets capable of having ETI. This is a complex and highly speculative issue (see Lammer et al. 2009) and we shall not delve on it. Let us however note that all of the active optical SETI observational projects listed in Tarter (2001) search for signals in Solar-type stars. Reines and Marcy (2002) and Howard et al. (2004) searched for signals generated by lasers in nearby solar stars. In particular, let us note that Howard et al. (2004) searched for nanosecond optical pulses from nearby solar stars.

That's just science.

I know people get all into their beliefs when they see the word extraterrestrial so they want to act like this is nothing but that's not the case. The ET hypothesis is strengthened by this but these things still need to reviewed and looked at but the article doesn't say a DEFINITE extraterristrial signal was found, it says A POSSIBLE signal was found because current observation matched a previous prediction.
edit on 12-10-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I think Neoholographic did a pretty good job summarizing! Give the guy some props!

Besides, you just have to say it three times!

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

because she has a gnashing set of teeth where her va-ja-ja is. Don't you watch TV?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Good catch.

Perhaps the reason for why it has been so hard for us to detect any signals from any particular ETI is because of all the background interference out of which we have to tweak the signal, but before we can do that, we have to recognise the signal in all the background interference?

An advanced ETI would already have sussed this problem out, and will have built technology that tweaks out any ETI signal. So, if an advanced ETI had detected our transmissions, if they wanted to acknowledge their presence to ours, they would return our own broadcasts within their own transmissions to us, ala the film 'Contact'.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

I think it would blow our minds and we may all come together realizing that we don't need to hate each other any more...we need to hate the green slimy buggers from Delta 4 quadrant.

After ww3 and we call a truce with Islam, aliens will be the next boogie man

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I highly recommend Hamilton's works Pandora's star and it's sequel Judas Unchained, but be forewarned they are big books 1200 pages each

The future world Hamilton laid out 15 years ago , is now coming to fruition.

Spoiler alert:

In the opening of Pandora's star, the US Mars expedition, lands and the whole world is watching.
As the crew steps onto mars, they hear some one gigggling over the coms, and the commander is furious, but he doesn't recognize the the voice a crew member. They turn around and few yards away they see a guy in a homemade space suit , standing in front of a small worm hole, with the Berkeley physics lab visible through it.
Human society changed forever.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I agree. Never make love to spotted people. Even acne is infectious.

I’ll take my chances with the PC Police.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Has anyone checked into where these stars are with respect to Sol?

I find this interesting though we need more information.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join