It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Did Satan Come From?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

Oh they do do they? Sorry that is a modern (well post Christian) insert. So yeah there is a place but what happened is the monks Christianized the story. There is also a story of a King of Ireland dropping dead in anger when he heard "the son of God had been killed" ... how he heard that (he was supposed to be around at the time Jesus died) is up in the air.

So when looking at myths, if it matters to someone, you have to notice modern inserts.

Yeah true, I was merely stating mythology, with Enki and Enlil as being "part of Irish culture" on the Hill of Tara "blue stones of heaven/Atlantis" etc and supposedly "Jesus visiting" within the years he was left out the Bible, learning the art of healing and becoming enlightened etc.

And the monks as you stated Christianised it, true to suit their needs and a new deity to follow etc.
edit on 4-10-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Irish myth is full of that. It was actually a peaceful transition to Christianity. Shame about more modern times with sectarian nonsense.

There are other stories. The stone of Scone, which was orgionally the stone of kingship at Tara was supposed to be the pillow of the Pharaoh, brought by his daughter Scotia (sounds Egyptian right?).

St Brigit is identical to the Goddess Brigid.

Poor old Crom Cruach got turned into a demon.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Learn something new everyday..

I read this.. sounds similar to most all creation stories... same story retold in different cultures at different times.

From googling.. "Welsh/Cymric Folklore"

books.google.com.../Cymric+folklore&source=bl&ots=L1xnv66iW_&sig=vtMyNbnJSM_IiVtP_F3-YmFjEtM&hl=e n&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwig17vwrMLPAhWERiYKHbx2A4YQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=Welsh%2FCymric%20folklore&f=false

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Hmm there is no surviving universal creation myth from any of the Celtic Speaking peoples, ah Graves. Sadly Robert Graves was terrible at all things Celtic, his Uncle (or was it Great Uncle) was not, but he never talked about myth to his Uncle. So the White Goddess while a poem many people love, is ummm crap. His (Roberts) books on Greek myth are excellent however.

Some scholars have tried to create one, its a bit wobbly.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Irish myth is full of that. It was actually a peaceful transition to Christianity. Shame about more modern times with sectarian nonsense.

There are other stories. The stone of Scone, which was orgionally the stone of kingship at Tara was supposed to be the pillow of the Pharaoh, brought by his daughter Scotia (sounds Egyptian right?).

St Brigit is identical to the Goddess Brigid.

Poor old Crom Cruach got turned into a demon.

Yeah in fact i live very close to scone palace in Perth, which the stone of destiny is apparently returning at some point.

Think my family Clan had a war about this stone when they were fighting for Scottish independence, with/against William Wallace etc..Not 100% on that but had something to do along those lines before the stone was stolen or taken? now returning.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

You Aussies (waves from across the ditch) get all the good tours.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
My take on Satan/Devil/Lucifer is that many of the texts thought to be about him, are not. We see him in three places:

1. Heaven, in the early chapters of Job, he appears before God among the other sons of God. God asks him where he has come from, and he says,

2. "Earth" - one big surprise of my research into Hell is that there is NO connection in the Bible between Satan and Hell. He operates on the Earth, except for business visits to Heaven.

3. We last see him getting tossed into the Lake of Fire, and that may or may not be the end of him.

So, Satan is either part of, or head of, God's "evil division," as we know that God created Evil. You know - the same Hand that planted the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden also planted the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Or, Satan is simply the "Prince of Heck."
edit on 4-10-2016 by Lazarus Short because: de de de

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

You Aussies (waves from across the ditch) get all the good tours.

I'm not Australian, easy mistake,,, was born in the Scottish highlands in Argyll, done more research on the stone subject, it was brought near to my family Clan castle in Dunstarffnage during the war of Scottish independence or last there around the 7th century, then think it went to Edinburgh castle at some point.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Ahh ok wrong Perth sorry, I should have read closer. I've vistited my ancestral homeland a lot (I'm a MacLachalan)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
My take on Satan/Devil/Lucifer is that many of the texts thought to be about him, are not. We see him in three places:

1. Heaven, in the early chapters of Job, he appears before God among the other sons of God. God asks him where he has come from, and he says,

2. "Earth" - one big surprise of my research into Hell is that there is NO connection in the Bible between Satan and Hell. He operates on the Earth, except for business visits to Heaven.

3. We last see him getting tossed into the Lake of Fire, and that may or may not be the end of him.

So, Satan is either part of, or head of, God's "evil division," as we know that God created Evil. You know - the same Hand that planted the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden also planted the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

I agree with you,,, Also God is both good and bad, You can't just have one side, God needs the balance off both to maintain order within chaos.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I am responsible for evil. I am the balance of earth.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Ahh ok wrong Perth sorry, I should have read closer. I've vistited my ancestral homeland a lot (I'm a MacLachalan)

Very cool, I'm MacDougall.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Have you ever considered that God doesn't actually play favorites or necessarily care one way or the other what we or anyone actually does? I don't mean metaphorically, but literally. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking that there is someone up in some ethereal skybox rooting for the home team Humans. Why can't God just be indifferent? It's not like it changes anything for it. I understand you have to know the flavor of God in order to understand why the question isn't "blasphemy" but I know some here have tasted it already.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Satan is much older than the Abrahamic religions. As Satan is not a construct from those religions but rather (Pagan)heathen in origin. "Demons are the gods of the gentiles."

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I'd like to go a step further and question why Satan need be a hybrid creature with horns...No where in the bible does it say Satan should be likened to Baphomet illustrations (just Google image search Baphomet). In my opinion, all of these so-called "Demons" that we would love to make into evil looking sadistic caricatures, are more than likely breathtakingly beautiful. If demons are fallen angels, they don't suddenly become brimstone-seething monsters, they remain angels.

This also makes much more sense in lieu of how the so-called anti-Christ will deceive the masses. A perfect example of this is the SyFy mini series: Childhoods End. This is a beautiful showcase of how we would like to - in our infinite wisdom - personify "Satan" or the "Devil". I highly recommend checking out that show, it's brilliant. If you DO decide to watch the show, don't image search the name because it will spoil the surprise.

In regards to the anti-Christ, if he was to look like our personifications of a "Demon" or "Devil", would we trust him? Of course not, which is why in my opinion, he will be the figurative and literal personification of Christ that we've built up in our collective cognition.

Something else to think about: If God plays favoritism than why create that which he could not enjoy? In order to play out this logic you must take into account the scope that a God must determine, to fulfill a plan conceived before time.

TLDR; In my opinion Fallen angels or "Demons" are probably more beautiful than we can conceive and God does not play favoritism. As far as where "Satan" came from, I believe the idea stemmed from time immemorial. There's a reason duality has persisted here on this plane and there's a reason we war within ourselves. Do I believe it's all because of one being called "Satan"? No, but I do believe in an ever-present, persistent temptation that deplores our mind, body, and spirit.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

Have you ever considered that God doesn't actually play favorites or necessarily care one way or the other what we or anyone actually does? I don't mean metaphorically, but literally. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking that there is someone up in some ethereal skybox rooting for the home team Humans. Why can't God just be indifferent? It's not like it changes anything for it. I understand you have to know the flavor of God in order to understand why the question isn't "blasphemy" but I know some here have tasted it already.

What you say sounds like Deism.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I suppose it could without the correct context. That isn't quite what I am hinting at though.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I suppose it could without the correct context. That isn't quite what I am hinting at though.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Oh silly, everyone knows Santa comes from the North Pole.

Oh wait. Nevermind.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
He came from scared white men who wanted to scare/shame everyone to believe the things they believe.

It is a matter of record that descriptions of the Devil originated in the writings of olive skinned semitic men.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join