It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To buy a smart TV...or not to buy a smart TV

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
I don't know what a smart TV is, but I bought a Samsung TV/Monitor on Craigs List for $50, hitched up an old Mac Mini and a HD antennae, ran them to my stereo and it is better than I imagined. This is after I cut the cable, I watch more stuff on youtube then I watched on TV. The only thing I'm going to miss is the Boston Bruins this season.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have a few SONY BluRay players with the media player built in. I like the SONY better than others, by a lot. I'm not a SONY fan after my computer experiences with them, but I like the BRP Media Player combo. Just get the newest model you can find, because they improve a lot every year. Amazon is helpful with sorting by model years.

This way you are not stuck with whatever media players the "smart" TV has onboard. Having multiple SONY players gives me compatibility and consistency across different entertainment systems too. Should be like $60-$85

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Lots to think about.

Getting the best picture and not worrying so much about whether it is smart or not sounds like good advice.

Comparing a smart TV to a TV with a builtin DVD player is a valid comparison. Something I definitely would worry about.
The thing dies....and its an expensive repair...or at least time without the TV if you have an extended warranty.

I am really happy to get all this feedback.
Helps to sort things out...and who know who else it could help.
Thanks to every one.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Getting rid of cable is something we plan to do in the future....and having access to hockey is a concern.
This is what we are considering.
subscribe.nhl.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Have a 4K Smart Samsung. I get antenna TV and it creates a built in TV guide for the antenna which is a nice feature. Not sure if most TVs can do that but I imagine more are today.

4K is great but almost no content. Only apps I use are Amazon and Pluto TV which I really enjoy. Pluto has tons of free channels. I find myself watching that more than antenna TV these days and Amazon movies. I also like a clean look, no wires or other stuff attached to the TV. I had the outlet moved behind the TV along with the antenna wire so on the wall you can't see any wires and it's on a swivel I got from Lowes which I was impressed with for the price. Very smooth action and I can turn or swivel the TV in any direction of push it back flat.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Will Blu-Ray players play standard DVDs?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Yes they will.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide
This is the TV we are now considering
www.bestbuy.com...

www.lg.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I have 2 LG TVs a 50 and a 55 inch. 1080 HD, my DSL internet supports not much more than that anyway.

I quit Direct TV after my contract. Paid a bunch of money to get BBC Top Gear and Peep Show, and European auto racing and other stuff. Well, I don't miss it at all, now EVERYTHING is available on YouTube. My media players learn favourites and offer very good suggestions. Often, I don't get past the suggestions!

Oddly, cutting cable years ago meant that you had to now select your own shows, which is weird at first, but now I watch less TV, but enjoy it more. The channels and recommendations on YouTube helps take over that task, and really does it better than any "network". Commercials are a miserable pastime.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
A lot of movies get letterboxed, so a certain sized screen may only be partly used during playback.

The LG has a "cinema zoom" screen setting which is a mild zoom, it seems pretty ideal for old 4x3 programmes as well as widely letterboxed movies. I leave it set this way....unique to the LG as far as I know.

Pretty obvious that TV is a steal. Don't cheat yourself on the size though, or you'll be itching for a 50" in no time.
edit on 14-9-2016 by FlyingFox because: correction

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is my 55", I got it from W*M, only $350....missing the orig box.

www.walmart.com...

I would hunt for a 50" unless space is a concern.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

space is an issue....and I don't want to wall mount it...
I do believe you should get the largest screen you can fit...and I think 40" is about out limit.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   

If you buy it from a shop test it out for sound output, sometimes the smaller tv's have awful sound....worth looking at anyhow.....

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I just use my laptop via HDMI get everything I need so why pay more I have tried with an iPad but some providers such as sky won't allow you to use the HDMI transfer!

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Regular TV with firestick. Load KODI on it and enjoy. We just use an HDTV antenna and get plenty of channels, and with the fire stick, I doubt there is anything I can't watch, if I wanted to. Smart TV's are about to be old news like a betamax. Something new and shiny is coming.

Use a USB charger to power the fire stick and you won't have any extra cables to deal with.
edit on 15-9-2016 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Achiever option, assuming you have a decently-spec'd PC with a free HDMI Out, is to run an HDMI cable from PC to TV. Our desktop is in the basement, with a monitor/mouse keyboard setup in the living room, and another on the opposite side of the house by the "TV."

That said, when I do get a new TV, I'm planning on a smart TV so i can ditch the peripheral stuff and extra cables hanging around. 65" 4k Samsung curved smart TVs are under $1200 now - I'm waiting for the SUHD to drop from the current $1900 to that price - probably another 3-6 months.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: ugmold

Getting rid of cable is something we plan to do in the future....and having access to hockey is a concern.
This is what we are considering.
subscribe.nhl.com...

I wish they would offer just your home team at about 1/3rd the price. Just can't fit it in my budget.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

If you buy it from a shop test it out for sound output, sometimes the smaller tv's have awful sound....worth looking at anyhow.....

This is a real issue as well. My TV's sound wasn't nearly loud enough so I added a relatively inexpensive set of PC speakers ( this set ) and that solved the problem very well. Not quite surround sound - but I am very happy with the result. The sound is very theater like and is more than loud enough. In fact at about half volume it's honestly too loud.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Inputs/Outputs
HDMI® 2
USB 1
RF in (Antenna/Cable) 1
Composite In 1
Component In 1 (shared with composite)

www.lg.com...

I know what HDMI, USB and RF is....but what the heck is "composite in" and "component in"

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

It's audio video in and out via AV cables.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join