It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To buy a smart TV...or not to buy a smart TV

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide
What are they used for?
Speakers?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
We specifically didn't want a smart tv, because we didn't think the features were worth the added cost -- sort of like how I feel about phones.

So, we bought a wonderful Samsung 42" tv. Loved it for the ten minutes in which it functioned, because it had just a wee 3/4" border -- no wasted screen space. Then it began shutting itself off. Turns out that was an electrical fault in some of the Samsungs. The place I bought it from took it back, and we could either wait for the next shipment of TVs, or get a smart TV of the same size for the same price. We took the smart tv, and WOW! We use roku a LOT.

My Darlin' loves all the old tv series, and I love the plethora of oat operas and grindhouse movies. No more is there "nothing on tv."

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
OK....I am still looking around.
And not seeing too many non-Smart TVs around.

Still wish the LG could be worked out.

QUESTION
Can you use a regular HDMI port to connect speakers, assuming you could get an RCA to HDMI adapter????
edit on Sat Sep 17 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I would guess so; I use the old RCA cables/port to connect to our speakers. You'd better ask Heff ;o)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Some TV's come with a "line out" port for audio. It looks like a 3.5mm headphone jack. If your home theater system doesn't have hdmi, you can use an adapter that has the 3.5mm jack on one end that splits into the red and white rca cables. kinda like this:

Hope it helps

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here's the 43-inch LG
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474153718&sr=8-2&keywords=LG++40LH5300%2FUS
It has a picture of the back.

Inputs: 2 HMDI, 1 USB, 1 RF, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 1 Optical, 1 RS232C, 1 Ethernet

Seems like you can hook up speakers.

here's what the 40-inch has
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and a vid

I think we need to go look at the TV next week.
At least I know it is a 2016 TV....

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Smart TV is good if you have a fast internet speed. There are many legal free apps you can install to your smart TV such as They have nice content and hundred of TV channels. Those app is free and legal.
edit on Dec 27th 2018 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join