It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The entire Seattle Seahawks team will protest the national anthem at opening game

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: Nucleardoom

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: nobunaga

Exercising one's right to free speech, a right granted to us by the document that helped found this very nation, is not disrespectful to the nation itself.

Not standing in respect of the thousands who gave their lives to protect that right to free speech among many others IS disrespectful.

He can sit all he wants, it's just practice for him anyways since he'll be riding the pine this year.

That's your opinion.

I believe exercising the rights that people died for is more meaningful than standing for an anthem at a stupid football game....sponsored by Mt. Dew and Cool Ranch Doritos.

And yet teams arent allowed to show their support for the police and you said nothing about it.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Well that would disarm the division, and seeing liberal types make meaningful arguments to such ends is like an endangered species around here.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I have no problem with peaceful protest and these athletes are using their stage to do so in something they believe in. Being a patriot means more than standing at an anthem or saluting the flag. Being a patriot also means standing up for justice, even against your nation when your nation has faltered. The original patriots were not a bunch of blind nationalist obeying their nations commands, but stood up against tyranny for the rights of every man woman and child. Even before the BLM movement there was a need for criminal justice reform in this country and is in my opinion a seriously overlooked issue. I don't see this protest coming from a place out of hate for their nation, or even disrespect, but more so as a plee for justice in a system that has got a serious criminal justice problem.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
Good on em.

Always felt that the anthem and pledge were a bit cultish for my taste.

Plus I can't help but grin at all the patriots gnashing their teeth over such a small gesture.

Well the anthem was adopted, albeit not so long ago, 1931 is the given, after several or more attempts. Before that, there was no national anthem. The lyrics however are from a poem by Francis Scott Key made in the 1812 war, yes that war, with Britain, references here,
en.wikipedia.org...
And here,
en.wikipedia.org...

Key was a slaver, and anti-abolitionist of slavery although it's given that his own slaves were looked after, and would defend African slaves, as well as defend slavers who wanted absconded slaves back, and that his own perspective was that African/slaves should be sent back to Africa. Nevertheless, as a prosecutor he would have went after anti-abolitionists, a curious ethos not particularly in the den of legalities per se, but also somewhat rascist.
So, it is my conclusion, IMHO that the words, "O'er the land of the free " has nothing to do with African Americans when it was written, since there weren't any, they were slaves. Official emancipation didn't come for some time after that in 1863, and even then it was just more words in the main from a grudging Lincoln, pretty much forced into the abolishment camp, and has to be said by some nonconforming republicans of the day,
But even more reading here on that..
www.gilderlehrman.org...
In conclusion, America needs something that is all inclusive, and that has meaning for everybody now, as their national anthem. So does the UK's historic national anthem, but that's another story for elswhere.
edit on 8-9-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
What exactly are they protesting?

Sounds like this is just the latest bandwagon on the equivalent of the fake outrage over Harambe.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It's too bad we can't get them to protest by sitting out the entire season.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Looks like the 12th man will be the only one standing.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Um, that is not true.

Even when there was slavery in the nation, there were always some free blacks ... even in the South. Some very few of those free blacks were slave owners themselves.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers
It's too bad we can't get them to protest by sitting out the entire season.

Remember the damage major league baseball did to themselves by going on strike?

Spread this too far and the NFL may be looking at a similar issue. Look at the damage Mizzou has seen done to it after its football team went on strike.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Such meaningful protests about oppression while making millions..

Meanwhile, segregation is on its way back under the guise of "safe spaces".

The indoctrination for the Progressive Plantation is going strong I see.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Yes they can, players got denied the ability to wear BLM shirts as well because of uniform code.
But hey you all didn't complain about that!

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Millionaires complaining about social injustices. Wait, I'm sorry. MULTI-millionaires complaining about social injustices. I wonder if any of these MULTI- millionaires live in the bad areas of Seattle, or safely behind a gated community.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

What will you be doing on Sunday?

I'll admit it, I never stand during the national anthem for any sporting event if I'm watching it on TV. And honestly, I only stand when I'm at a sporting event because it is tradition, not for my undying love of a nation that can do no wrong.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz Let the ungrateful fools sit ignore them who cares what they think? They are just useful idiots for the BLM crowd.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
This BLM stuff is fading away.
It will get tossed to the curb as soon as this election cycle is over with. Remember Occupy? Didn't think so, nobody does.

"BLM stuff?" Does one new movement negated issues that have been around for centuries? Well, since the Emancipation Proclamation at least. Does it make it easier to dismiss the issues?

This isn't going away after the election.

Yeah some new domestic terror group after BLM will spew racial hatred that is for sure.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
Most people go to these events to watch them perform.

That doesn't include having them stand for a song. Why would anyone pay for that?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
So umm...they were all standing.

Except for Brandon Marshal of the Broncos. Go Broncos!!!!! Great game.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
American football man won't stand up for the national anthem in a protest about Americans being killed = "he's a disgrace, disrespecting the military"

American presidential candidate man says he knows more about ISIS than current serving generals (which is massively disrespecting the military in many ways, when you think about it) = "hey, hes a straight talker, I'll vote for him"

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

the soldiers fought and continue to fight for his right to sit. the right to question our government is in itself an act of patriotism, this is not nazi germany we do not have to be blindly patriotic.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Of people feel strongly thus is wrong then start a protest against the team. If people don't care enough to so that than so what.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join