It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Americans getting so fat these days

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daavin
a reply to: zosimov

you do one shop for the week on a day you don't work, many things can be prepped ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer.
or you can keep making excuses, eat your pizza pops but then don't complain that you have no choices, there are always choices.
I am poor, very poor and I can do it. so can you.

You either lack compassion or understanding of the cycle of poverty here in the US. I eat fresh food from my garden so I don't know what you're talking about.

edit on 5-9-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

It is not for lack of compassion or understanding my friend of poverty, it is the understanding that it can be changed, that you don't have to be rich to eat healthy well balanced meals but it does take effort and inner strength to accept ones situation and make it better on your own, not making excuses on why it can't be done.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

It is not for lack of compassion or understanding my friend of poverty, it is the understanding that it can be changed, that you don't have to be rich to eat healthy well balanced meals but it does take effort and inner strength to accept ones situation and make it better on your own, not making excuses on why it can't be done.

The change would have to be systematic rather than individual to make any real impact.

Edit: If you are able to make such awesome changes in your own life, then why is it that you're still poor?

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I don't choose to only spend 100 dollars a month on food, that is all that is left, I choose to make the best out of what I have rather than accept the false notion that I can't do better.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I don't choose to only spend 100 dollars a month on food, that is all that is left, I choose to make the best out of what I have rather than accept the false notion that I can't do better.

Well I suppose you should be real proud of yourself.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

severe medical reasons

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

severe medical reasons

OK I apologize but many others have disabilities that inhibit their ability to work, or even to travel by bus. If you can use the computer, perhaps you could find a way to make it lucrative for you. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Then again, it comes back to a neighborhood issue.

What do you do? Force business into areas that are dangerous?

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

no I am not proud, was not always like this, on good days I don't want to off myself. It is a constant struggle but IF I can lift one person up and help them see things can change for them (too late for me) an get them out of the making excuses for lack of will or effort, then IMO it is a good day.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

Hey, I am very sorry to hear that you have such a struggle. I wish it were not so for you, or for anyone else. The more you know a person, the more you realize that everyone is struggling with their own personal demons. Which is why, if you really want to help, you might want to take a less combative tone with others (something I can learn, as well.. not to get sucked in to the crappy tone that we all take with one another anonymously.)

The ones you really want to reach most likely are not here on this website.

I hope with all my heart that you can find a way to deal that fulfills you.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

systematic changes only occur when enough individuals make the change themselves forcing the system to change with them.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

sorry for my tone, it's better in person I promise
, just think of me as your crochety old grandpa

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

when physically feasible I teach groups of kids at the bible camp ( which is hilarious in itself as I am pagan) how to prepare healthy meals at home. If we teach them young they will bring that into adulthood, One of the reasons I am angry and do this is that they took home ec out of schools in this area.
edit on 5-9-2016 by Daavin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: greydaze
People that have no good income have poor resources for food..
frac.org...

Well, we have a lot of poor people in germany, too.
But somehow even they can buy fresh potatoes, fresh veggetables, eggs, flour and all that stuff one needs to cook.
It´s even more expensive to buy ready meals or similiar "The Wing or the Thigh" foods.
Often poor people are unemployed and have the time to buy cheap and fresh ingredients. And they have the time to cook that food and to eat it in a civilized way(time).
I bet those (monetary!)poor people live healthier than those careerists that have no time to cook and have to eat that ready stuff full of sugar and fat, as fast and unhealthy as possible.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

sorry for my tone, it's better in person I promise
, just think of me as your crochety old grandpa

Well thanks for teaching me a bit of humility. I am sorry as well, my internet persona seems to put quite a few people off. In person, I'd have a big smile to share and a hug!

Nice to meet another grandpa, as mine have been gone for quite a while now (One 10 yrs, the other 20).

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I know I can be crass most times, no worries, I too have put off many people there is no filter between my brain and the keyboard.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Where exactly did you visit? Some days I see nothing but anorexic crackhead supermodels and want to shout at them to eat a big mac.

Could it be, just could it be that the sample population you saw falsely makes you think any population is a homogenous cookie cutter group, when in reality every population has wide range of variety?

Congratulations for stereotyping Americans the way many outsiders already do.

edit on 5-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: intrptr

Then again, it comes back to a neighborhood issue.

What do you do? Force business into areas that are dangerous?

Being poor doesn't mean you're a criminal.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

Aaagh!
I just lost my whole reply!
Stupid smart phone!

This is going to be a condensed version
because I have to leave soon.

Oldest daughter has 11 year old twins.
She does the crockpot thing when she can,
but most days they don't get home until 9 or 10 PM. Everything would be mush by then, even on low! I don't know how the kids find time to do their homework! Their life is crazy!

Their son has 2 hours of practice every night.
That's just in one sport! Even practice can be out of town, because there are more teams than playing fields or courts!

Their daughter has sports & gymnastics.
They both have band, he has boy scouts & they both have other school stuff too!
Weekends are games, every other is out of town.

Her husband usually goes with their son to practices, she goes with daughter. Sometimes same times, different towns!
Sometimes they stop here late on their way home, because they know we usually have homemade leftovers!!! Not too many fast food places here either & they get tired of the same thing.

Oh, I forgot one, 11.)Stress...causes cortisol build up! Big problem.

You're very lucky that Canada still has common sense food & regulations! Apparently we don't, because antibiotic & hormone free, are big selling points here & cost a lot more. The few fresh organic fruits & vegetables that are available here are usually double the price of regular! Don't see much of that where I am yet though, unless you are lucky enough to know an organic farmer that sells to the public. That's really the answer, small, humane, cage free, less disease, farms, not cruel, packed in like sardines, sickly animal factory farms!

Bad changes seem to happen quicker than good changes! Still hopeful though! More people are slowly becoming aware.

WOQ

I've noticed that even though the kids have 2 hours of heavy duty practice every day, there are still quite a few that are overweight. So it's not just a lack of exercise thing.

Hubby, kids & grandkids are normal weight & low bmi. Everyone comments what good shape they are in. The only thing we have done differently from other people is avoid those 10 things for the last 35 years. People tell us we look 15 to 20 years younger than we are.

edit on 5-9-2016 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2016 by wasobservingquietly because: fumble fingers

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

It's a combination of poor diet, lack of physical activity and, I speculate, lack of motivation/desire/will to be healthy. The processed preservative laden food is one cause. Another cause that people overlook is what they drink. Sodas, low percentage fruit juices and I dare say most beverages available at the supermarket add to the pounds of an inactive person. Water, sugarless teas & coffee , milk(depends) and freshly made juices are among the few drinks that are safe/healthy to consume.

Outside people with health concerns lack of physical activity speaks for itself. The motivation/desire/will I mentioned is more subtle and I would say unique to an individual and circumstance.

I'm curious. When you were speaking about fat in the brain about the cashier was that a metaphor for stupid?

a reply to: verschickter

I bet as soon as you read "couldn't stop laughing" it tripped your buttons. The OP did not set out to insult anyone when he was shopping. Read carefully. He was laughing to himself. The cashier asked why he was laughing. He answered. Apparently honestly.

Is the ego(people in general) so fragile in this day and age to require a diplomatic answer to a simple question? Unreal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join