It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several thousands Natives protest pipeline; Tribes sending supplies for the long haul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: Caver78
New Video of the protest as bulldozers were stopped and protesters pepper sprayed & bitten by private security guard dogs.

www.youtube.com...

And this was done by the company's security.... Unreal!

Even the sheriff claims the Natives are violent but there's video shows the security body slammed a woman first.

I remember reading that protestors engaged in Saturday's fighting claimed that Sherriff's deputies were nearby and did nothing until after the violence had escalated. The Sherriff's department initially claimed there were no law enforcement officials on the scene when the fight started, then later amended their statement to say that there were Deputies initially on the scene when fighting broke out, but did not get involved for safety reasons, citing procedure.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

No worries, my friend. If you don't have the time, I totally understand.

The CBC has a forum dedicated strictly for Indigenous news stories and *most* of the authors of those articles and TV news segments come from the First Nations people community, therefore, I doubt there is any misinformation being sold by corporate interest. To be fair, there might be misinformation (biased reporting) sold by the authors but, history has shown this is not the case when it comes to Indigenous CBC reporting. I asked you to give it a read through because if there was any misinformation, as a tax funded news media, any information proven to be true that is provided by the public usually is honoured and the article is updated with the corrections highlighted.

This is the last article published by the CBC (Sept,4, 8:34 pm EST) but keep in mind was sourced through "the Canadian Press":

www.cbc.ca...

Cultural and historic sites

The protest Saturday came one day after the tribe filed court papers saying it found several sites of "significant cultural and historic value" along the path of the proposed pipeline.

Tribal preservation officer Tim Mentz said in court documents that the tribe was only recently allowed to survey private land north of the Standing Rock Sioux reservation. Mentz said researchers found burials rock piles called cairns and other sites of historic significance to Native Americans.

Standing Rock Sioux chairman David Archambault II said in a statement that construction crews removed topsoil across an area about 150 feet wide stretching for 2 miles.

"This demolition is devastating," Archambault said. "These grounds are the resting places of our ancestors. The ancient cairns and stone prayer rings there cannot be replaced. In one day, our sacred land has been turned into hollow ground."

There is Twitter link in the article that shows views (video+photo) from both sides (security+protesters) to keep things somewhat fair.

Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier said in a statement that "individuals crossed onto private property and accosted private security officers with wooden posts and flag poles."

"Any suggestion that today's event was a peaceful protest, is false," his statement said.

On Sunday, South Dakota tribal chairman is urging members to avoid Bismarck and Mandan in North Dakota after a clash between private security guards and people protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline, saying he fears for his people's safety.

Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal Chairman Harold Frazier said Sunday urged tribal members to avoid travelling to or doing business in the area.

I encourage those who oppose this pipeline not to exaggerate incidents (not implying they have done so) and keep things peaceful as much as they can. The Sioux Tribe are in the right, have laws and treaties in their favour, and have no need to adopt those tactics. It will only be used as propaganda to discredit them and deflect from the truth. Just stand their ground.

Have the U.S courts and politicians weighed in as of yet concerning this matter?

twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Construction resumed Sunday afternoon, September 4. The situation remains muddy at best.

www.upi.com...

Morton County Sheriff's Department seems to have gone back to their original stance that there were no representatives from law enforcement when the altercation began.

The media is playing the events leading up to the violence as "he said/she said."

Despite having no law enforcement officials at the onset of violence (supposedly), Morton County Sheriff's Department is certain that the day's protest was not lawful.

Private security claims they were stampeded and threatened with knives. Protestors claim, at one point, tear gas was used. Private security and law enforcement deny use of tear gas, as protestors deny use of blade weapons.

And an interesting section of the article:

On Friday, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe submitted documents in court that identified areas with sacred graves and artifacts.

Construction crews removed topsoil across about 150 feet wide stretching for miles, the tribe said in a release.

"This demolition is devastating," Archambault said in a rease. "These grounds are the resting places of our ancestors. The ancient cairns and stone prayer rings there cannot be replaced. In one day, our sacred land has been turned into hollow ground."

Archambault told the Grand Forks Herald: "They wanted to destroy the proof and evidence; the company knew those sites were there. They don't normally work on Saturday and Sunday; we know because we've been watching them. They desecrated all the land where the landowner gave us permission to look," he said.

The Judge was to make a ruling on whether or not to halt construction by Friday this week.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
We have a new political football....Now being reported by the MSM.

Let the games begin.

If the GOP supports the oil companies and private security.....game, set, match! I wonder who the Orange Messiah will support?

All the tribes, Pueblos and Hispanics here in the Land of Enchantment, are in solid support of their Native American bro's in S. Dakota, sending food, water, personnel and media crews. And a surprise, even far extreme right survivalist groups are supporting Native American sovereignty.

Could get interesting.
edit on 5-9-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

There's also protests and pow-wows happening on the Brokenhead reserve not far from where I live.

They've been going on for the past couple of weeks now, and you hear it being mentioned on the local radio station from the Sagkeeng first nations rez just on the outskirts of my town. Hundreds upon hundreds have rallied from all over this part of Manitoba.

The word is spreading like wildfire amidst the first nations peoples all across Canada.

If there's one thing First Nations peoples are experts at, it's rallying everyone together for large protests and drawing attention to their battle.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Saturdays violence was precipitated by the digging up of graves and other sacred sites.

This interview was recorded on September 3, 2016. Former Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Historic Preservation Officer Tim Mentz explains the destruction of burial grounds and sacred sites by Dakota Access Pipeline LLC. This sacred site is what people were trying to protect when Energy Transfer Partners brought in aggressive dogs to attack unarmed people.
Read more at indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...

Here is just the youtube interview for those who want to cut to the chase.
www.youtube.com...

Here's a good video from Democracy Now that was reporting on the protest when this violence broke out on Saturday. You can see the Natives cross the fence to stop the bulldozers and a security guy throws a woman to the ground.

Watching this video really gets to me how they were using dogs to try to get them to bite these people.

Just got a report from a friend of mine who is out there at Standing Rock and she said that new people are coming into the camp every day and that it is growing rapidly. And they are calling out to all Natives back home to keep coming. This is going to get real interesting on Friday when the federal judge makes a ruling.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Earlier today the Standing Rock Chairman did an interview with Democracy Now's Amy Goodman who has been at the camp reporting. Archambault is calling for an investigation into the dog attacks on protesters. There is evidence of the dog bites that these security people let loose on them. Video evidence and visible injuries, yet there were no arrests by the sheriff's department. The sheriff says the Natives were the violent ones and yet video shows they were attacked as they attempted to stop bulldozers from clearing land that they believe has burial sites.

Standing Rock chairman calls for investigation into dog bites

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign

Sioux are not known for small and peaceful actions, when comes to their land. Or at least they are known like this from the past. I kinda miss that old spirit.

Do you feel the same about Americans protecting their land from Mexicans?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Burnitalldown

New Video of the protest as bulldozers were stopped and protesters pepper sprayed & bitten by private security guard dogs.

www.youtube.com...

And this was done by the company's security.... Unreal!

Even the sheriff claims the Natives are violent but there's video shows the security body slammed a woman first.

I remember reading that protestors engaged in Saturday's fighting claimed that Sherriff's deputies were nearby and did nothing until after the violence had escalated. The Sherriff's department initially claimed there were no law enforcement officials on the scene when the fight started, then later amended their statement to say that there were Deputies initially on the scene when fighting broke out, but did not get involved for safety reasons, citing procedure.

Yep, this sheriff is clearly on the side of the oil company. They only got involved once the protesters backed the security company off and they were in their vehicles driving away. They did nothing when these guys (and girls) were spraying pepper spray or siccing their dogs on them.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist

No worries, my friend. If you don't have the time, I totally understand.

The CBC has a forum dedicated strictly for Indigenous news stories and *most* of the authors of those articles and TV news segments come from the First Nations people community, therefore, I doubt there is any misinformation being sold by corporate interest. To be fair, there might be misinformation (biased reporting) sold by the authors but, history has shown this is not the case when it comes to Indigenous CBC reporting. I asked you to give it a read through because if there was any misinformation, as a tax funded news media, any information proven to be true that is provided by the public usually is honoured and the article is updated with the corrections highlighted.

This is the last article published by the CBC (Sept,4, 8:34 pm EST) but keep in mind was sourced through "the Canadian Press":

www.cbc.ca...

Cultural and historic sites

The protest Saturday came one day after the tribe filed court papers saying it found several sites of "significant cultural and historic value" along the path of the proposed pipeline.

Tribal preservation officer Tim Mentz said in court documents that the tribe was only recently allowed to survey private land north of the Standing Rock Sioux reservation. Mentz said researchers found burials rock piles called cairns and other sites of historic significance to Native Americans.

Standing Rock Sioux chairman David Archambault II said in a statement that construction crews removed topsoil across an area about 150 feet wide stretching for 2 miles.

"This demolition is devastating," Archambault said. "These grounds are the resting places of our ancestors. The ancient cairns and stone prayer rings there cannot be replaced. In one day, our sacred land has been turned into hollow ground."

There is Twitter link in the article that shows views (video+photo) from both sides (security+protesters) to keep things somewhat fair.

Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier said in a statement that "individuals crossed onto private property and accosted private security officers with wooden posts and flag poles."

"Any suggestion that today's event was a peaceful protest, is false," his statement said.

On Sunday, South Dakota tribal chairman is urging members to avoid Bismarck and Mandan in North Dakota after a clash between private security guards and people protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline, saying he fears for his people's safety.

Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal Chairman Harold Frazier said Sunday urged tribal members to avoid travelling to or doing business in the area.

I encourage those who oppose this pipeline not to exaggerate incidents (not implying they have done so) and keep things peaceful as much as they can. The Sioux Tribe are in the right, have laws and treaties in their favour, and have no need to adopt those tactics. It will only be used as propaganda to discredit them and deflect from the truth. Just stand their ground.

Have the U.S courts and politicians weighed in as of yet concerning this matter?

twitter.com...

This is very accurate. Yes, the tribe had just filed for an injunction on that particular stretch of the construction site. When Natives showed up on Saturday morning to set up a camp there because of the recent findings of burial sites, they found the company was fast at work with half-dozen bulldozers scraping the surface and leveling the land for a two-mile stretch, all just that morning. So, it's like the company did it on purpose because of the court filing the day before.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Construction resumed Sunday afternoon, September 4. The situation remains muddy at best.

www.upi.com...

Morton County Sheriff's Department seems to have gone back to their original stance that there were no representatives from law enforcement when the altercation began.

The media is playing the events leading up to the violence as "he said/she said."

Despite having no law enforcement officials at the onset of violence (supposedly), Morton County Sheriff's Department is certain that the day's protest was not lawful.

Private security claims they were stampeded and threatened with knives. Protestors claim, at one point, tear gas was used. Private security and law enforcement deny use of tear gas, as protestors deny use of blade weapons.

On Friday, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe submitted documents in court that identified areas with sacred graves and artifacts.

Construction crews removed topsoil across about 150 feet wide stretching for miles, the tribe said in a release.

"This demolition is devastating," Archambault said in a rease. "These grounds are the resting places of our ancestors. The ancient cairns and stone prayer rings there cannot be replaced. In one day, our sacred land has been turned into hollow ground."

Archambault told the Grand Forks Herald: "They wanted to destroy the proof and evidence; the company knew those sites were there. They don't normally work on Saturday and Sunday; we know because we've been watching them. They desecrated all the land where the landowner gave us permission to look," he said.

The Judge was to make a ruling on whether or not to halt construction by Friday this week.

When you watch the video, the one I posted a few posts above, you can clearly see they were pepper sprayed, one security guard has the mace in his hand. You can't see any protesters with knives but I do see a couple times where protesters are using flag poles to defend against dogs. The sheriff's department is lying!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

www.upi.com...

When you watch the video, the one I posted a few posts above, you can clearly see they were pepper sprayed, one security guard has the mace in his hand. You can't see any protesters with knives but I do see a couple times where protesters are using flag poles to defend against dogs. The sheriff's department is lying!

Oh I don't doubt the protestors were pepper sprayed and had dogs set on them. I don't doubt law enforcement is squarely on the side of the establishment and status quo. I don't doubt that the oil company, the construction firm, the government and law enforcement are colluding against the Tribes. I was merely trying to frame the conflicting reports side by side. I did watch the video. While I try my best not to let my colors fly regardless of the issue, I've always been a supporter of the Tribes. I've donated money to the cause on more than one occasion, a superficial gesture I admit, but in the absence of being out there with them I try to give what I can.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

www.upi.com...

Oh I don't doubt the protestors were pepper sprayed and had dogs set on them. I don't doubt law enforcement is squarely on the side of the establishment and status quo. I don't doubt that the oil company, the construction firm, the government and law enforcement are colluding against the Tribes. I was merely trying to frame the conflicting reports side by side. I did watch the video. While I try my best not to let my colors fly regardless of the issue, I've always been a supporter of the Tribes. I've donated money to the cause on more than one occasion, a superficial gesture I admit, but in the absence of being out there with them I try to give what I can.

Yep, you bet. And thanks for your posts.

Now some of the tribal chairman's in that region are warning their people not to shop or do business in Bismarck or Mandan for fear of violence and racism. What's crazy is when I came back from Montana last week I stopped in Bismarck for a while and I tried to order some food at the Taco John's and they, three times in a row, gave me the wrong order but the same thing over and over again and then tried to accuse me of handing off the right burrito to my wife like I was trying to scam them. It was crazy and I got pisst, gave them the whole order back and got my money back.

I thought nothing of it but that they were just a couple of idiots working in a fast food joint. But now, it has just occurred to me that it was probably because of the color of my skin and the location of where I was.. right there down the road from these protests.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
We have a new political football....Now being reported by the MSM.

Let the games begin.

If the GOP supports the oil companies and private security.....game, set, match! I wonder who the Orange Messiah will support?

All the tribes, Pueblos and Hispanics here in the Land of Enchantment, are in solid support of their Native American bro's in S. Dakota, sending food, water, personnel and media crews. And a surprise, even far extreme right survivalist groups are supporting Native American sovereignty.

Could get interesting.

Not sure where Trump stands on oil companies but I know he doesn't believe in climate change. Many of my Native peeps try to claim he is racist and I don't believe that for a second, but, I do believe he may take the side of big oil and that's for economic reasons, not anything racial against Indians.

Good to hear all the tribes are behind Standing Rock. It's loud and clear here in Wisconsin the outpouring of support from the tribes.

Yep, environmentalists and survivalists all on the same page. Nice.
edit on 6-9-2016 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'am surprised and disappointed that this still occurs in this Century.
Obviously, the Governments of the USA, just dont get it, even after 300 years.

Native Indigenous peoples Belong to the Land. They don't own the Land, the Land owns them.
The Land is their Heritage, the Land is their Sacred Sites, the Land is there Life.
Im sure, when a Native North American talks about his Country, he is not referring to the USA, but his Ancestral home.

When are the White's going to get it?

1000s of years ago, the white tribes of Europa, also Worshipped the Land, and all of nature.
Land is life to humans....it feeds us, shelters us, and torments us at the same time.

Living in Australia, we have cleared this up 30+ years ago.
Indigenous peoples, have "Native Title" over their ancestral lands. In fact about 30%+ of Australia is under direct native ownership, thru native title and returned Crown lands (yes stolen by the Europeans).
We cannot do ANY developments without consulting the native lands owners.
If there are any artefacts found, work immediately stops and a field survey/ excavation is done.

This is to Honor the Spirit of the original people's country.
Yes, we admit, our ancestors illegally (tho that term will never be used), invaded another's land without permission....even tho the land was deemed "Terra Nullius" (nobodys land) by the British at the time.

Why hasnt the USA advanced enough to accept their fault? Why do the Immigrants continue to harass the natives?
It was they, not the "Indians" that have caused the problem.

Perhaps the American Natives can learn something from their Southern counterparts.

The Australian native people's will not interfere with the American native peoples, unless specifically invited.
If the American peoples need help, then they should formally ask for it in the traditional ways.
Via smoke signals, and using a "Message stick" for permission to make dialogue. (yes in a symbolic way of course

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

That's awesome that Australia gives that much respect to their Native peoples. Consultations should be the very minimum. It's just not right to disturb burial sites.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Here is just one example of many of how destructive and dangerous these pipelines are. This is why the Standing Rock tribe says hell no to one of these underneath the Missouri River. It's not a question of if, but when the pipeline gives.

Rivers of oil in Arkansas town; residents didn't know pipeline was below them

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

It is disgusting that it literally took me 20 minutes the other day to find out exactly why they were protesting (through Google, after I saw this post). Most of the articles I saw said they were encroaching on tribal lands, which is true but I didn't think that was their main concern since the protest signs I was seeing in the articles were talking about water. My solution would be to go over the river, although that may involve some extra pumping to raise the head level. I'm definitely not a petroleum engineer, but it still seems as if the MSM is trying to write this off as tribes whining about sacred land when they have other genuine concerns. I'm not downplaying the sacred land aspect at all.
Obama did speak about it for about 90 seconds in Laos, you can tell it is a big deal to him...
The whitehouse.gov petition has 160k signatures, including mine, well over the 100k needed for a response from the White House in the time frame required, but no telling if that will get an actual response or an obscure press release. It does make me sick to be on the same side of an issue as Susan Sarandon, but I guess she has to be on the right side at least sometimes.

If I would have gone to the CNN link in the beginning I guess that would have answered my question, but I was sure it would have more government spin on it. I guess they did get some of the construction halted, but not all of it. They should file a FAR Part 33 protest against the USACE contracts for the pipeline since they are an interested party, but surely the lawyers for them would have thought of that already.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: bonsaihorn

I'm thinking they view it as just as dangerous going over as it us to go under because these pipelines rupture all the time, so if it ruptured at all it wouldn't matter, there's going to be a catastrophe of epic proportions. This is the largest pipeline to be built, capable of carrying up to half the entire Bakken daily production at 570,000 barrels. It is planned for 470,000 per day but capable of much more.

For now they have it halted in a 20-mile stretch where the tribe believes there may be burial sites and of course, under the river. A federal judge will decide if it continues or is squashed tomorrow and then of course, it will be appealed by either side.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Well here is Akwesasne , Supporting Standing Rock from My reservation

Akwesasne Supports Standing Rock
www.indiantime.net...

Here is One of the Chiefs of Our Land Supporting Standing Rock Reservation visiting their community
www.indiantime.net...

Akwesasne demonstration supports Standing Rock Sioux's protest of Dakota Access Pipeline

Friday, September 16, 2016 - 5:33 pm
northcountrynow.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join