It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left-handed people

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leespitfire
I know three "lefties"

All are lesbians, and all are dyslexic. Must mean I know alot of lesbians eh?

Oh yeah, I forgot about dysexia. I wonder if there is a correlation between dyslexia and being left-handed?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by amb1063
only thing i've noticed is that lefties seem to have handwriting like an axe murderer........not EVERY lefty but it sure seems like alot of them did in school........not sure if it was because of those danged spiral notebooks we had to use and tried to write with our hand dangling over the spiral bound side...........i've seen lots of lefties that really turn the paper at an extreme angle when they write as well...........

i don't...........i write in the same manner as a right handed person.....

i write,eat,bat,use sissors all with my left hand............only things i do as a righty would be shifting gears in a car w/a manual transmission and use a mouse.

angie

You got that right! I'm a lefty also and my handwriting is crap. I play in a metal band and can't play my guitar left handed to save my life. That's the only thing I have problems trying to do left handed.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang

Originally posted by Leespitfire
I know three "lefties"

All are lesbians, and all are dyslexic. Must mean I know alot of lesbians eh?

Oh yeah, I forgot about dysexia. I wonder if there is a correlation between dyslexia and being left-handed?

I think it's more of a chemical imbalance IMO, Cuz I'm a lefty and am not dyslexic, But who knows

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
What the hell is dysexia?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

What Are Some Of The Characteristics Of Dyslexia?

An individual is identified as dyslexic when a significant discrepancy exists between intellectual ability and reading performance without an apparent physical, emotional, or cultural cause. Common findings in the history include, but are not limited to: (1) family history of reading problems; (2) a predominant occurrence in males (males to females 8:1); (3) an average or above average IQ and, not uncommonly, a proficiency in math: (4) no enjoyment of reading as a leisure activity; (5) problems of letter and word reversal; (6) developmental history of problems in coordination and left/right dominance; (7) poor visual memory for language symbols; (8) auditory language difficulties in word finding, fluency, meaning, or sequence; (9) difficulty transferring information from what is heard to what is seen and vice versa.

Specific reading problems associated with dyslexia include difficulty in pronouncing new words, difficulty distinguishing similarities and differences in words (no for on), and difficulty discriminating differences in letter sound (pin, pen). Other problems may include reversal of words and letters, disorganization of word order, poor reading comprehension, and difficulty applying what has been read to social or learning situations.

Can be found here: www.kidsource.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Using left hand more then the other has not any correlation with anything you people suggested. These reaseachers are trying to prove something, but that is not making any sense. Normal person has all the same capabilities, no matter being left or right hander, 10% of all the people are left handed, and it is in all groups of people more or less the same. Anything else is myth, and wanna be matter.
I haven't noticed any particular correlation, especialy in being dislexic with being left handed, what should we say about Arabs and hebrew, who write from right to left?
All this story is made up by the inquisition who just made up whole story in their witch hunt, anyone who is different is rullled by the Satan.
I must admit certain areas of brain are on the left or right side, but that doesn't mean if somebody uses left hand his entire right side of the brain is more developed or vice versa.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Lefty here, with ambidextrous tendencies.
Some things I can only do right-handed, like using scissors.
Another thing, my right hand tends to be my manual labor hand. I carry things and use garden tools in my right hand. I guess I don't want to damage my important hand, huh?

I was in the National Honor Society in HS. I have no depth-perception and don't play sports. I guess I am a little creative.
I am a peaceful person, defintely not type A.

I think lefties are more adaptable. So, we're better

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

You got that right! I'm a lefty also and my handwriting is crap. I play in a metal band and can't play my guitar left handed to save my life. That'

s the only thing I have problems trying to do left handed.

I play in a (well Hard Rock lol) band too, I tried for the life of me to play lefty, though I was only given right handed guitars since I was a kid. While I cant play well lefty, I can play with 8 fingers (Stanley Jordan Type) fairly easy.

Your Band got a site? www.shifttrio.com... is mine

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Another lefty here, the only thing I can do with my right hand is to play guitars and drums...I even play tennis with my left hand.

It is known to the Chinese that lefty are tend to be smarter...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Are you sure about that?

And does that make all gays left handed, or all left-handers gay?

I am a lefty but I am not gay.

Strangly, I use my right hand for the mouse.

Denied!

Edit-Thumbs down complications

[edit on 24-1-2005 by MysticalUnicorn]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Left- Handed people are the next stage of evolution .

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I never said that all lefties are gay or all homosexuals are left handed, I've just heard that the ratio of lefties to righties among homosexuals is greater than the ratio of lefties to righties in the total population (I don't have any sources to back this up right now).

I also play the guitar, a left-handed one. I can play a right-handed guitar (much like Jimmy Hendrix did) in the style of a lefty to a degree. But that's just practice. My brother is also left-handed, but I told him to learn to play right-handed in that left-handed guitars are rare.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
There was an article about left handed people in the paper a couple of weeks ago, wish i'd kept the article now! didn't say anything about being gay but the word left in most cultures (i think it was mainly european ones listed) usually means soething like devil or bad, eg, In Italian, the word for left, Sinistra is the root (through latin) of the English Sinister

More interesting was the fact that left handers are normally born to women who are over 30. Now my mum and dad are both RH'd, they have four kids, i was the first, when mum was in her late 20s, I am Right handed. My three brother all born after mum was past 30 are all lefties! so theres one 'fact' that is correct.

More facts:

Most left-handers draw figures facing to the right

There is a high tendency in twins for one to be left-handed

Stuttering and dyslexia occur more often in left-handers (particularly if they are forced to change their writing hand as a child, like King of England George VI).

Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater.

Centuries ago, the Catholic Church declared left-handed people to be servants of the Devil.

Only a few decades ago in Japan, left-handedness in a wife was sufficient grounds for divorce.

The wedding ring is placed on the left hand in order to chase away evil spirits that may haunt the marriage.

Bedouins segregate the women to the left side of the tent to keep the right side free for the men. (Making it fairly obvious to determine which gender is considered more important.)

In Arab nations, the right hand is used to touch parts of the body above the waist, while the left hand is used for below the navel.

Natives on the Guinea coast never touch their left thumbs to their beer
mugs, in the belief that it would poison the beverage.

Maori women weave ceremonial cloth with the right hand, because to use the left hand would profane and curse the cloth - the penalty for using the left hand is death.

African tribes along the Niger river do not allow their women to prepare food with the left hand for fear of poisonous sorcery.

In Matthew 6:3 of the Bible, Jesus instructed his followers that when they do charitable things, to "not let thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth." Jesus also expressed the following sentiments regarding the Judgment Day. "And before Him shall be gathered all nations; and He shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats; and He shall set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on His right hand, 'Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world...' Then shall He say into them on the left hand, 'Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels...'

In the Old Testament, God told Jonah the wicked city of Nineveh contained people so sinful they "cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand," leaving us to infer that they cannot discern between good or evil.

On one count, the bible contains over 100 favourable reference to the right-hand and 25 unfavourable references to the left-hand. E.g.: The right hand of the lord doeth valiantly, the right hand of the lord is exalted (Psalm 118 vv15,16)

The devil is nearly always portrayed as left-handed and evil spirits lurk over the left shoulder (which is why you throw spilled salt over your left shoulder to ward them off).

Greeks, in their worship of Zeus, posted sentries to watch people entering the holy temples and make sure they entered with their right foot, because entrance with the left foot was thought to curse the building. Also, the Greeks took care to never put their left leg over the right while crossing their legs.

In Hindu rituals, followers are required at times to circle people and/or objects three times, from left to right to cleanse them.

[found some more on languages]
Even languages from around the world show how civilizations prefer the right over the left. The word "left" comes from an Old English word meaning "weak" or "worthless" The Italian word "mancino" is translated to "deceitful"...as well as "left". "No ser zurdo" is a Spanish phrase meaning "to be very clever", which is literally translated to mean "not to be left-handed". In English, the word "adroit" is commonly used to mean "proper" or "correct". In French, the word "adroit" means "right". The English usage of the word "gauche" is accepted as meaning "clumsy", or "awkward". In French, it is translated to mean "left". Our word "dexterous" comes from the Roman word "dexter", which in turn means "right". The Roman word for "left" is "sinister", and the phrase meaning "masturbation" is translated to "left-handed whore". "Linkisch" is German for "awkward" and "left".

All quite interesting really...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Wow dang! LOL! Just about every culture in the world hates or hated left-handedness. Interesting facts there.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Fewer than 4% of mankind is left-handed and 1% of all geniuses are left-handed.

Some famous criminal lefties include Billy the Kid, Albert DeSalvo (Boston Strangler), John Dillinger, and Jack the Ripper.

Some other famous lefties include:

Alexander the Great, Aristotle, Franz Kafka, Kant, Helen Keller, Beethoven, Mozart, Napoleon Bonaparte, Sir Issac Newton, Julius Ceasar, Nietzshe, Winston Churchill, Gen. George Patton, Jacques Cousteau, Ross Perot, Madame Curie, Picasso, Leonardo Da Vinci, Einstein, Escher, Rubens, Castro, Ben Franklin, Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, Michelangelo, Nikola Tesla, Goethe, Van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Harpo Marx, Charlie Chaplin, Robert Redford and Jimi Hendrix.

Here are 2 links listing famous lefthanders:

www.indiana.edu...

www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Okay, here's one for ya! My kid-sister and I have different fathers...yet we're both left handed! In fact, with my mom having seven kids, I believe that puts our family at twenty-four times the Sociatal Average for finding lefties. It's GOT to be genetic.

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Yeah, I think it's genetic too because I have an aunt & an uncle, (My mom's brother & sister they are not twins) and a niece (my sister's daughter) who's left-handed, and of course I'm left-handed.
I don't know how many if any of my cousins are left-handed.

[edit on 1/25/2005 by Leading Lady]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by aWoman
Fewer than 4% of mankind is left-handed and 1% of all geniuses are left-handed.

Some famous criminal lefties include Billy the Kid, Albert DeSalvo (Boston Strangler), John Dillinger, and Jack the Ripper.

Some other famous lefties include:

Alexander the Great, Aristotle, Franz Kafka, Kant, Helen Keller, Beethoven, Mozart, Napoleon Bonaparte, Sir Issac Newton, Julius Ceasar, Nietzshe, Winston Churchill, Gen. George Patton, Jacques Cousteau, Ross Perot, Madame Curie, Picasso, Leonardo Da Vinci, Einstein, Escher, Rubens, Castro, Ben Franklin, Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, Michelangelo, Nikola Tesla, Goethe, Van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Harpo Marx, Charlie Chaplin, Robert Redford and Jimi Hendrix.

Here are 2 links listing famous lefthanders:

www.indiana.edu...

Nice list and cool links.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
hi another goofy here

i also think its genetic, my grandmother was a lefty and my brother is a lefty as well. I did have problems in kindergarten and the beginning of my school years. Some of my teachers tried to force me into right handedness by making me have my left hand behind the chair all of the time. Sick if you ask me.

Must say being a lefty has its advantages in the right hand world. Sports for one thing. I played basketball for a lot of years and always made plenty of problems for the other team by doing everything the oppposite way to what they were used to. Since there are so few lefties, only few of right handers get to practice sports against the left handers...i had my whole life to get used to right hand players.

Also, i read, the lefties usualy have quicker reflexes by some studies, but generally reflexes can be practised, at least i think so.

On the negative side, using a mouse made for right handers can be a pain. Writing as well is a problem, at least for western lefties, becouse if you write with your left from left to right, you rub your hand on everything you write.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I am also a lefty...a south paw! I think that lefties are creative and artistic. I write with my hand over the top. People notice it and laugh about it. I wonder how many lefties are on this board. Maybe lefties like conspiracy theories. I was in gifted and talented classes at school, also, etc, and I am very musical. Here are some other left-handed people.
Click on famous people who are left-handed. I always thought it was cool that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr were lefties.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join