It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police called to home of aggitated autistic man do NOT shoot him

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I guess Bubba (an autistic young man) was getting out of hand and Mama couldn't handle him. She called the cops because she knew that Bubba likes cops. The police showed up and found Bubba to be a handful. Nobody pulled out a gun. One of the officers got down on the ground and showed Bubba how to do push-ups.

Mama said, "Bubba was laughing before Deputy Loftis left, which at the time I thought was impossible! I can't thank Officer Loftis enough for being so caring through it all."

There are many good ones out there. I"ve seen quite of bit of that through the recent flooding down here in SE Louisiana.

See Bradley Co. deputy helps calm autistic boy using pushups from WSMV Nashville

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

This is what we need. Police who are peace officers that know their community. That do this rather than pulling out guns. Nice post

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

That's great! A cop does his job. Wish there were more like him.

My husband doesn't beat me... That doesn't mean there are no husbands that beat their wives.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Most of them are peace officers.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

My husband doesn't beat me... That doesn't mean there are no husbands that beat their wives.

Nobody said that there weren't.

I don't beat my wife either. 32 years married and I never have. Never will.

For anybody to attack and accuse me as a husband because some jerk beat his wife would be unfair. Not all husbands - nor all wives - are abusers. Matter of fact, most of us are not.

It's good to be reminded that most do it right. It's great to see when some do it really, really well.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Exactly. Well-made point. There are some great cops, but unfortunately, there are quite a few bad apples.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing. This is the perfect model for other LEO's to follow!

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

You act like this is news. Cops didn't shoot someone.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

You act like this is news. Cops didn't shoot someone.

Yeah, maybe the the title of this thread was an unfortunate choice, but to hear some people talk, it would seem that it does qualify as news.

I wasn't surprised by it. Over the last couple of weeks in SE Louisiana as we watched the flooding situation unfold, there have been numerous examples of selflessness in both the civilian and law enforcement demographic. But to hear some folks talk, this kind of stuff never happens. It's simply good to be reminded of the good stuff.
edit on 2016 8 26 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

This is what we need. Police who are peace officers that know their community. That do this rather than pulling out guns. Nice post

Stories like this are the norm, not the exception (well, at least in real life...maybe not on ATS).

The vast majority of husbands do not beat their wives (or husbands, for that matter).

There are many more like this LEO...stop hating on cops just because you spend too much time looking at the stories about bad ones. If you keep up the hate, I'm going to have to wonder if your background image is accurate.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Cops across the country interact with Autistic and mentally handicapped people everyday.

When I was on patrol I would have some sort of contact with Autistic individuals a couple of times a month, and mentally handicapped people almost every day. Those contacts never ended with me hurting them.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of contacts that happen every year.

I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of those contacts don't end in violence.

Contrary to popular belief, it is actually the norm.

edit on 26-8-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, but when you cite an example of a husband that doesn't beat his wife you don't say, "well I wish there were more like him."

To me, wishing there were more of something implies that there is less of what you are wishing for.

If I say, "I wish there was more money in my account" it is because I don't have enough.

If I say, "I wish there were more options to choose from" it is because there isn't enough.

Maybe it is just me.

edit on 26-8-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

That would be great, but sometimes suspects cannot be talked down or "de-escelated" and things turn the other way. Every police officer would love it to go down smoothly, but the suspects do not always give them/it that opportunity.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
Cops across the country interact with Autistic and mentally handicapped people everyday.

When I was on patrol I would have some sort of contact with Autistic individuals a couple of times a month, and mentally handicapped people almost every day. Those contacts never ended with me hurting them.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of contacts that happen every year.

I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of those contacts don't end in violence.

Contrary to popular belief, it is actually the norm.

That was my point in posting this and in the tongue-in-cheek title.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   

It's always a cool surprise to see a positive story on ATS

Some autistic people would only get cranky if they got shot!

Three quarters of a million LEOs interacting and doing their thing 24/7. Most of them will be doing the little things like this every day.

new topics

top topics

join