It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pardon Me, But Your Slip Is Showing… aka Mike Rowe v. The Press

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

He wraps this up by pointing out that it's because those in the press who do this want to influence the election, so they WANT people to connect lack of diploma with lack of knowledge and think that a vote for Trump is really a mark of stupidity which, of course, is why they did not take this route with Obama.

Your ego and pride are leading you Ketsuko

Demographics are what they are. If you haven't noticed, trying to explain the rise of Trump is far more prevalent than trying to say Trumps supporters are stupid

It's not about intelligence - or even ignorance. In fact a study that just came out pretty much states exactly that

What people are trying to point out is that uneducated voters are more likely to support Trump. Fact. Because why?

He pretends to speak directly to them and for them

They don't trust politicians - or the educated. The elites. It's about a fear and lack of trust - not intelligence

Education would change all of that. But, there you go - ginormous Catch 22

edit on 8/25/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: to remove a two too many

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Uneducated voters are more likely to vote Hilary actually. Don't you see the spin you fell for? Black and Hispanic voters overwhelmingly vote democrat and have significantly lower High School and College graduation rates than their white counterparts. Its a product of the system perhaps, but why aren't those groups identified as uneducated in the media?

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Mike Rowe needs to take one that one last final "dirty" job..... President of the US.

From all his years doing Dirty Jobs, he knows regular America more than any current candidate.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Uneducated voters are more likely to vote Hilary actually. Don't you see the spin you fell for? Black and Hispanic voters overwhelmingly vote democrat and have significantly lower High School and College graduation rates than their white counterparts. Its a product of the system perhaps, but why aren't those groups identified as uneducated in the media?

Do you want to play that game?

I fell for nothing - but you obviously have

We're not talking about all uneducated voters - we're talking about the ones that vote for Trump

The media is wondering about how Trump came to be. Not Hillary - or anyone else

Trump's nomination is unprecedented. Or, do you not understand that?
edit on 8/25/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: to quote

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I do understand that, but why are white voters suddenly being called uneducated? No other other uneducated groups have ever been called that in the media. You are ignorant if you don't see the intent here.

One could easily argue that the rise of the democratic party under LBJ was on the backs of uneducated voters. Why are media outlets suddenly obsessed with calling a block of voters uneducated? There is no way around it, this is intended to make the white voters who support trump look like they are dumb, and if only they had better education they would see the error of their ways and vote for Hilary.

It's a race baiting tactic to unite the minority votes against the "dumb whites" in the election cycle.

To show how dense you are I leave you with this:

We're not talking about all uneducated voters - we're talking about the ones that vote for Trump

Yet just one post up you said:

What people are trying to point out is that uneducated voters are more likely to support Trump. Fact.

So perhaps you want to retract that "fact" now? After all you just admitted that the majority of uneducated voters are more likely to vote for Hilary, right?
edit on 25-8-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I do understand that, but why are white voters suddenly being called uneducated?

Because a significant number of those people supporting Trump are both white and uneducated. Its as simple as that. It's also true. It's a fact

People want to be offended by this somehow

I am not college educated - it's not something to be ashamed of. I'm also not voting for Trump. This isn't an IQ test

You are ignorant if you don't see the intent here.

See how you are? This is why you see it the way that you do. It's not about facts and motives - it's about perception and wounded pride:

To show how dense you are I leave you with this:

If you'll read through my posts - you'll see that I never once suggested that anyone was unintelligent. But, there you go - and there you are
edit on 8/25/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Wounded pride? I have 2 undergrad degrees and a graduate degree. How could my pride possibly be wounded by this? Maybe if you were more educated you would understand...

Also, perhaps if you were more educated your reading comprehension would be a tad better?

I never said you called anyone unintelligent:

If you'll read through my posts - you'll see that I never once suggested that anyone was unintelligent. But, there you go - and there you are

I pointed out how you stated a fact and I used the word uneducated, which was absolutely not a fact. Perhaps your education level is showing?

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Why do you feel the need to attack me?

You should be able to understand what it is I'm saying

:-)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

"Because a significant number of those people supporting Trump are both white and uneducated. Its as simple as that. It's also true. It's a fact

People want to be offended by this somehow"

Let's turn that around for clarity:

Because a significant number of those people supporting Obama are both black and uneducated. Its as simple as that. Its also true. Its a fact.

That is why I am offended..... it is nothing but media spin and people are eating it up. If the same thing had been repeatedly said about Obama in 08/12, there would have been riots.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I thought calling someone uneducated wasn't an attack? Oh, you mean you think that in the context of my post it was a veiled insult? How interesting...

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Saying someone is uneducated? It's really not

Context? Veiled?

You're problem with this is that you believe people are implying white people are unintelligent? Isn't it funny how bent out of shape that gets you?

There have been plenty of people saying the same thing about other folks for ages. But no - some white folk are dumb? Not cool. That is a real problem

Doesn't matter - that's not what I said :-)

Funny how you couldn't see that

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Because a significant number of those people supporting Obama are both black and uneducated. Its as simple as that. Its also true. Its a fact.

It is a fact

That is why I am offended..... it is nothing but media spin and people are eating it up. If the same thing had been repeatedly said about Obama in 08/12, there would have been riots.

I'm going to say something that I said earlier in this thread. Trump is something different as far as politics goes in this country. Even his supporters recognize that. Trying to understand his base is understandable. As it turns out - many of his supporters are not college educated

Saying that angers people. I understand why - but it's not an insult

People did call Obama's supporters uneducated - and worse. Maybe you don't remember because it wasn't as important to you in the same way

Nobody rioted

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Your confusion is still so obvious to everyone but you. I already stated I have no problem with calling people uneducated, even white people.

Please, by all means go show me where the minority voters who overwhelmingly voted Obama into officer were ever called "uneducated" by the mainstream media. I mean, after all, that was more "unprecedented" than Trumps current run right? Your logic is so flawed you've fooled yourself.

You said you were being attacked. All I did was call you uneducated, something you admit yourself. How could you see that as an attack if calling someone uneducated isn't ever intended to be an insult?

You forget the Media DID use the "white people are uneducated" in the past. It was Hilary V Obama: Source

The same thing was pointed out back then, Why weren't the black voters being called "uneducated".

When Romney ran against Obama the media was SILENT on the "uneducated white voters". Why? Because Romney and Obama split the vote dead even.

So you keep dodging the question. Why is the focus on WHITE uneducated voters and not on the MINORITY uneducated voters, who are significantly less educated than even the "uneducated" white voters.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

And Obama wasn't out of the ordinary? Please show me the articles that focus on his "uneducated" minority base.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Does it bother you most that it's the mainstream media? Because the conservative media was all over this for the past two elections as far as minorities voting for Obama goes

You said you were being attacked. All I did was call you uneducated, something you admit yourself. How could you see that as an attack if calling someone uneducated isn't ever intended to be an insult?

Why keep bringing this up? :-) Bother you some?

I'm not that delicate - and well past the attacked part. I'd really rather just discuss this

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Also:

So you keep dodging the question. Why is the focus on WHITE uneducated voters and not on the MINORITY uneducated voters, who are significantly less educated than even the "uneducated" white voters.

Because we're discussing those people that are voting for Trump

And - very telling - the last bit

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Leonidas

No, what he did is point out the very real fallacy of the press referring to a voting base as "uneducated" based on lack of degrees in order to influence elections.

Do you think someone is stupid if they do not have a degree?

Now, we can argue about whether or not a person is making an informed choice. That's what man on the street videos show, but plenty of those people have college degrees, certainly plenty of them show that college kids have about as much of a claim to lack of pertinent information as anyone else.

I couldn't help but think of my maternal grandmother as I read that. Since she went to a one room schoolhouse, it was impossible for a student with intelligence and a hunger to learn not to be exposed to what the classes ahead of her were being taught. Technically she only had an eighth grade education. That gives the impression in our modern way of looking at things as being someone who had minimal education.

She graduated from the 8th grade as a 5th grader! Had she been allowed to be included in the actual 8th grade class, she would have graduated at the head of her class but even back then they tried to avoid stigmatizing students, both the 8th graders and also my grandmother. She dealt with enough as it was and I guess they didn't want to add to it.

Whenever possible she continued to self-educate while working to help keep her family going. After meeting and falling in love with my grandfather, she went on to raise five healthy and happy children in the years of the Great Depression.

The family moved many times over the years with the only land my grandfather was ever able to own being a small farm that is now at the bottom of Christmas Lake in Santa Claus, Indiana. He was one of the few who refused to sell and lost it to eminent domain. Christmas Lake Village is a gated community built on the shores of Christmas Lake.

I would dearly love to find a few of the books of poetry that she left behind when they would move. Poetry was as natural as breathing for her and every move saw reams of poems left behind in lieu of necessities.

She may have been an "uneducated white woman" but the last thing she taught me was one of the biggest lessons I've learned.

The arrangements had already been made before her death and she hadn't wanted a big funeral with all the maudlin canned music and a preacher giving a prepared oratory about a woman he never knew. She only wanted her family there and an opportunity for anyone that wanted to to say a few words.

Actually, I wanted to but we'd been very close anyway and I was so overcome with the realization of the last lesson she'd had for me that I couldn't have gotten through it.

I'm pretty sure that everyone has heard the usual, "He/She looks like he/she is just sleeping" or "Doesn't he/she look nice?" For me, there was something that itched away at the back of my mind from the first time I went up to the casket. Something was different but it took the biggest part of the funeral to finally become clear to me.

For the FIRST time in my life, this woman who had raised a family during the Depression, lost a little boy at birth and had to leave him behind at the Santa Claus Methodist Church cemetery, moved multiple times all over Southern Indiana to keep a roof over her family's head and held a marriage together through the most trying of times, didn't have that big loving smile on her face and I couldn't see that life-loving twinkle in her eye.

It's become clear that when my time comes I won't be able to leave much more than that, myself. Who can put a price-tag on a lifetime of smiles, though? Knowing you were loved and having memories of a lifetime of laughter and family may not fit in a safety deposit box, but it is a treasure none the less.

That "uneducated white woman" was the wisest person I've ever met... RIP

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Very telling? You said it yourself, facts are facts. Are you saying facts don't show that Black and Hispanic voters have a significantly lower graduation rate?

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

If you were well past it you wouldn't have said you were being attacked. You yourself have already indirectly admitted that being called uneducated can be a veiled insult. You felt you were being attacked because you were called uneducated. Now you realize how ridiculous you sounded and are trying to skirt the issue. It's sad.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: poncho1982
-- snip --
Or, alternative theory:
The world is not a meritocracy which means the best people aren't the ones who are promoted, instead promotions rely on meeting criteria rather than actual performance and knowledge.

I go with door #2...

Imo, "The Peter Principle" by Laurence J. Peter holds tremendous value in viewing structured organizations in perspective. I've seen it played out many times over my working years. By the time someone who was originally qualified and productive has risen to his (or her) level of incompetence, they've created such a network of connections within the organization that it would be damaging to remove them and foolish to promote them. Usually they are able to keep their head above water only because they are standing on the shoulders of supportive underlings.

Just my 2¢...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join