It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnus Carlsen, Chess Grandmaster, World Champion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I was astonished when I attempted to look for "Magnus Carlsen" in the ATS search bar, with no results. So I've decided to make a thread on this guy. He's the current World Chess Champion, and is a Grandmaster. He was born in November of 1990 in a place called Tonsberg, Vestfold in Norway. 13 years later, he became the World Champion. At age 13... Incredible!

Wikipedia Page on Magnus

His style of play has led people to compare him to the likes of Bobby Fischer. It would have been cool to see these two go head-to-head.

Here is a short clip of him from 60 minutes - he can play multiple people at once, without even looking at the chess boards (blindfolded or facing the other way), has to keep track of where all of the pieces are on the different boards, and still wins (most of the time):

I can't imagine being able to execute like this. My grandfather would appreciate this, I remember playing chess with him when I was younger - I never won. Maybe I will have to reach out to him and catch up

I hope you enjoyed this thread. I was surprised I didn't know about Mr. Carlsen but I'm glad I looked into it. Thanks for reading ATS

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Nice post, mate! I wasn't aware of this young man. He seems to be a phenom. I am waiting to meet my 20 post requirement, and then I'll make a post on another interesting cat. Keep up the good posts.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: IDontLikeSalt

Hey - thanks for your comment! He is quite impressive, I can't believe I just heard about him today.

You are the only one who commented, at least I know one person was also impressed by him and appreciated the information. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums my friend.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
He is obviously being ignored due to his white male privilege.

If he were muslim, transgender or "of color" he would be hailed as the greatest living genius by the media.
edit on 23-8-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

lol nice! I needed a good chuckle

The media is something else.... F them

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
That is amazing. It almost seems that one cannot learn to play chess. You can learn how the pieces move but unless you have that gift ...

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Great observation - I agree, it's somewhat like math for many people, it seems you either have it or you don't. But you can develop your skill in it with enough study and practice. Chess is like an art and a science all in one. It fascinates me:

Chess is infinite: There are 400 different positions after each player makes one move apiece. There are 72,084 positions after two moves apiece. There are 9+ million positions after three moves apiece. There are 288+ billion different possible positions after four moves apiece. There are more 40-move games on Level-1 than the number of electrons in our universe. There are more game-trees of Chess than the number of galaxies (100+ billion), and more openings, defences, gambits, etc. than the number of quarks in our universe! --Chesmayne

^Wow!!!

www.bernmedical.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The number of moves is crazy. I mean trying to learn chess they tell you look 4 or 5 moves ahead...Thats 288billion possibilities according to your text.

I tried looking one or 2 moves ahead and the only thing I didnt forsee was losing my queen...lol.

The chess grandmasters intrigue me as well my friend. I tried to learn, albiet not very hard or for very long. I bought a book that hat had the plays of some of the best chess matches ever. Friend and I tried playing the list of moves and it made no sense to me. Probably had the wrong squares numbered or something.

I love the movie "the search for Bobby Fisher"...

And I am sure you can practice and develop a skill and become proficient, even good,

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I have yet to see this Bobby Fischer movie but I will add it to my (ever growing) list of flicks to catch up on. thanks for the mention!

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

He was 13 (!) when he met all the requirements for the title of GM. He was 23 when he won his first World Championship (2013).

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyquist

Thank you for pointing that out - I was confused by the year 2013 and his accolades already earned by age 13. You are totally correct!!

top topics

join