It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acts of Barnabas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I just read the Apocryphal Acts of Barnabas and I thought it was good so I figured I would share the gist of it.

Barnabas, Paul and John Mark are together and John was just baptized in Iconium and he later received the Spirit from a "certain Man" in white raiment. And the name Mark. He now understands the mysteries of God.

He goes to Barnabas and tells him, at which point Barnabas relates the Lord had informed of this that night! And that Mark would have a mystery/message for Barnabas. Barnabas instructs him to wait and tell no one.

They journey to many places ending up in Antioch finding a sleeping Paul. Paul is mad about some delay in Pamphylia. He was also "enraged" over Mark's leaving some parchments in Pamphylia and refuses to forgive him despite Mark's pleas.

Paul is left by Barnabas and Mark because Paul refuses to let Mark accompany him and they part ways. Paul then "reveals" that the Lord told him not to stop Barnabas from leaving for Cyprus.

On the way many are healed and in Timon Barnabas received a book of the word of God from Matthew. A book of "miracles and cures!!! A man named Barjesus refuses them entry into Old Paphos because he hates Paul so they head to Curium. They rebuke the people for public nudity (naked racing?) People suddenly die and the rest flee to the Temple of Appollo. Barjesus Jewish friends further impede their progress.

They set sail for some "so called" islands of Salamis and convert many Jews with the Book of Matthew enraging Barjesus. His people abduct him at night bound with a rope by the neck. They burn him to ashes which they plan on sinking in a container in the sea but Mark gets it with the help of some friends and they hide it in a cave with the Book.

Alexandria is where John Mark ends up and he preached the Gospel and enlightenment many. The book ends saying:

The journeyings of the holy disciple Barnabas have been fulfilled through God.
edit on 23-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: enterthestage

Lol! Naked racing? Sounds like a frat house initiation.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I forgot to add a link if anyone wants to read it.

Acts as Barnabas

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Check out the story I gave a link now. It's more about them doing a weird ritual I just couldn't re-word it without being dishonest to the text.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I love how that's the one thing that interests you about it though. Lol it shows were your mind is.

Let me guess, you are a Christian so you don't read Apocrypha and think it Ok to make fun.

If that's the case I don't think you embody the demeanor of a true Christian. These texts were widely read before Athanasius and by the priesthood after as "secret" books or Apocryphal books and the trend of defining Apocrypha as spurious is modern and propagandist 95% of the time. It means (apocrypha) hidden, not fake.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Well, I thought it was funny. I guess I never should have shared that. Carry on, I'll leave the thread.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   

I am not asking you to do that, I thought it was funny too.

I just think if that's all you get out of it...well you know already.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
From the wiki

The text of the pseudepigraphical Acts of Barnabas claims to identify its author as John Mark, the companion of Paul the Apostle, as if writing an account of Barnabas, the Cypriot Jew who was a member of the earliest church at Jerusalem; through the services of Barnabas, the convert Saul was welcomed into the apostolic community. Three pseudepigraphical works are linked with the name of Barnabas: the Epistle of Barnabas, written between AD 70 and 135, this Acts and the medieval text Gospel of Barnabas. None of them were accepted into the Biblical canon. The language and the ecclesiastical politics of Acts of Barnabas reveal it to be a work of the 5th century[citation needed], designed to strengthen the claims of the church of Cyprus to apostolic foundation as the site of Barnabas' grave, and therefore of its bishops' independence from the patriarch of Antioch. These are 5th century concerns, the independence of the Church of Cyprus having been declared by the First Council of Ephesus in 431 and confirmed by Emperor Zeno in 488. Some have mistakenly assumed that the reference to a gospel used by Barnabas referred to in the Acts of Barnabas was the medieval document, the Gospel of Barnabas. However, this is clearly false, as the quotation reveals: Barnabas, having unrolled the Gospel, which we have received from Matthew his fellow-labourer, began to teach the Jews. By omitting this emphasized phrase in quoting this passage, the impression may be given that there is a Gospel of Barnabas earlier than the so-called "Decretum Gelasianum", an agenda for those who would maintain the late Gospel's authenticity.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I don't think it matters what century someone says it's from because the New Testament itself is from 400 AD (in final form).

I can only infer from the lack of your own words that you rely heavily on what people tell you rather than think for yourself. I like my words and if I was going to talk about dates I would use them.

It's all a mystery. I would hate it if the only books about Jesus and the 12 were the New Testament. The Gospels are good but besides James, Acts, Revelation and maybe Hebrews they aren't very good or entertaining.

The Old Testament was written centuries after each supposed event especially the Torah. The rest of the Tanakh is pseudepigraphal too. So you make arguments about dates you talk about the Bible too.

Oral tradition has preserved many a tale before being recorded. Again the Bible does this too. Just because someone says this is from then doesn't mean it is not a valid tradition or of no value.

It's more to read about a beloved saga and you should be grateful it exists.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Do people hate Apocrypha? Is it a terrible thing to have books about the 12 Apostles and other Gospels that just weren't chosen (for political reasons)?

I know tons of people, Christians of a more enlightened nature, that love Apocrypha and devour all Judeo-Christian or Islamic official and Apocryphal books.

Reading is great meditation. Put on some Zen Music and read Apocalypse of Moses or Esdras or B. of Enoch and just let your mind go where Enoch goes. Pretend you're with Barnabas and John Mark and you will be able to feel what it's like to be with a real Apostle.

Has the Bible been proven historical and accurate? It has inner contradictions and it still is thought sacred. These Apocryphal books aren't heresy and are as likely true as any so called Canonical texts.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The Gospels are good but besides James, Acts, Revelation and maybe Hebrews they aren't very good or entertaining.
The first commenter was entertained and had a laugh which you took offence to . I posted some information although from the simple wiki post . I am not sure what kind of a response you expect from the board but so far it seems that its 2 for 2 in the fail dept . I am gone ,have a great day and good luck with the thread .

eta though I would drop off some extra reading for those intrested .Its in PDF and is free to download

This article addresses the question: How does the LXX relate to the Christian Old Testament, and more specifically, what role does the LXX play in Christian biblical theology? The first part of the article is a brief overview of five different approaches to the role of the LXX in a whole-Bible biblical theology. The five approaches are: (1) LXX Priority and Canon, (2) LXX Priority, Hebrew Canon, (3) Hebrew Priority and Canon, LXX Bridge, (4) Hebrew and Greek Are Sanctified by the Spirit, and finally (5) Hebrew Priority and Canon, LXX Commentary. Building on the different perspectives surveyed in this study, it is suggested that that the importance and function of the LXX in Christian biblical theology is at least fourfold: (1) The LXX can function as the source of Christian biblical theology; (2) The LXX is valuable for biblical theology in its role as a commentary on the biblical text; (3) The LXX is a bridge or link between the Christian OT and NT; and (4) The LXX complements the Hebrew Scriptures.
themelios.thegospelcoalition.org...
edit on 23-8-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

The Gospels are good but besides James, Acts, Revelation and maybe Hebrews they aren't very good or entertaining.
The first commenter was entertained and had a laugh which you took offence to . I posted some information although from the simple wiki post . I am not sure what kind of a response you expect from the board but so far it seems that its 2 for 2 in the fail dept . I am gone ,have a great day and good luck with the thread .

eta though I would drop off some extra reading for those intrested .Its in PDF and is free to download

This article addresses the question: How does the LXX relate to the Christian Old Testament, and more specifically, what role does the LXX play in Christian biblical theology? The first part of the article is a brief overview of five different approaches to the role of the LXX in a whole-Bible biblical theology. The five approaches are: (1) LXX Priority and Canon, (2) LXX Priority, Hebrew Canon, (3) Hebrew Priority and Canon, LXX Bridge, (4) Hebrew and Greek Are Sanctified by the Spirit, and finally (5) Hebrew Priority and Canon, LXX Commentary. Building on the different perspectives surveyed in this study, it is suggested that that the importance and function of the LXX in Christian biblical theology is at least fourfold: (1) The LXX can function as the source of Christian biblical theology; (2) The LXX is valuable for biblical theology in its role as a commentary on the biblical text; (3) The LXX is a bridge or link between the Christian OT and NT; and (4) The LXX complements the Hebrew Scriptures.
themelios.thegospelcoalition.org...

I was hardly offended I made an observation and expressed my thoughts. I will say so if I feel offended.

You seem more offended than I did, if I even seemed offended. I have failed at nothing and there is nothing to fail at so what are you even commenting for, to call me a failure?

I am not and you can say anything you want I guarantee you it won't offend me because I have no reason to get offended by anything. I find some things offensive from time to time, but they don't personally offend me I just observe that they are offensive and don't take it personally.

I have a very positive attitude!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You seem more offended than I did, if I even seemed offended. I have failed at nothing and there is nothing to fail at so what are you even commenting for, to call me a failure?
The 2 failures were not directed at you but at myself and the first poster . We both failed to respond in a way you wanted or expected . You might chose in the future to be more specific as to what kind of responses you would like other's to add .

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I thought you were "out"?

You didn't fail and neither did NuT. You might just be being too sensitive. You have not said anything that is positive, I will say that, but you haven't failed me in any way.

If you're that concerned click the link, read the book (it's very short) and reply with your thoughts. That seems like something to do rather than what you are doing now and isn't pointless (like your incorrectly critiquing my comment history and deciding how I feel).

I give and take based on the comments directed to me. I am not judging anyone or anything like that.

I am just having fun (trying) and I also found the same thing humorous as NuT and said that to him. I just wished he had more to contribute than the humorous naked racing and said so. I wasn't mad, just disappointed because it's known to me that Christians know nothing of Apocrypha and it saddens me. I wish people would read more and not be so scared of the label Apocrypha because it doesn't mean fake just secret or hidden (for the elites and priests) and is now widely available.

I am just trying to encourage the reading of books about the Apostles and the Messiah and all non canonical books.

Because men assembled the Bible not the Most High God. Lots of insired scripture exists that wasn't chosen and it's a lack of faith to not at least read them.

Nobody ever died from reading.

Give it a try.😂
edit on 23-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I can only infer from the lack of your own words that you rely heavily on what people tell you rather than think for yourself.
From the lack of my words ,you did some inferring that is just not true . I spend 6 to 8 hours a day reading and sometimes it includes extra biblical literature . Sometimes a bit of background info on literature is more interesting then the literature itself .Gets the mind thinking , I think .

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Discuss the topic....

and not each other.

Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I’m surprised some Muslims on this website haven’t chimed in by now…
Islam appears to hold a long tradition that the Gospel of Barnabas was suppressed by early Christianity.

I think a lot of Islamic theology takes many of it’s ideas from various Gnostic texts, Like the secret Gospel of John, the Infancy Gospel of Thomas and the Gospel of Judas etc…the later two of which it’s quotes directly…

There’s clearly been some type of strange split divergence that took place between both of these religions…IMO

- JC

edit on 23-8-2016 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecroft
There’s clearly been some type of strange split divergence that took place between both of these religions…IMO

- JC

Schism is common to all religions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join