It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Princeton has gone PC crazy removing "man" from all college texts.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well the world has gone completely PC crazy. Princeton University Human Resources and Office of Communications issued a four-page memo filled with examples of gender-neutral terminology that must now be used in official school documents.

www.princeton.edu...

They cant say cameraman any more it has to be camera operator. No more "cleaning lady" has to be office cleaner.

Students are no longer freshmens they are now !st year students.

Students will no longer refer to other students as he, she, her, or him. In their guidelines, students are given ‘tips’ on how to properly scrub these very descriptive words from their vocabulary.
Replace gendered pronouns, e.g., he, him, his, and she, her, hers, by rewriting the text in the plural.
Example: Each participant must present his ID badge at the door.
Revised: All participants must present their ID badges at the door.

link

Before long it will be wrong to call myself a man and not just a person.
edit on 19-8-2016 by imsoconfused because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Keep it up Princeton, and a degree from your "esteemed" university will be worth no more than a certificate from DeVry. People are not as ignorant as you'd like them to be.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

So is the word "woMAN" offensive too? Is she now a woperson? F*cking stupid, I almost choked on my coffee reading this

I agree, sexism exists in our society but this is way overkill. I understand if authors of newly published books and articles want to be more universal in their pronouns/descriptions, but to do all of this?

edit on 19-8-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

+40 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The University's name offends me. Why is it PRINCEton and not PERSONton?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Big Brother is so proud.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock

HEHE. Great point.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I thought these were highly intelligent, educated individuals...huh, go figure..I was wrong.

blend57

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
man that's crazy,....can I say "man" like that???

neel kolhatkar made a great video about this, it's LOL funny. It talks about PC going crazy

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused

originally posted by: FraggleRock

HEHE. Great point.

Don't give them more ideas now...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Dude! (Oh, i am sorry)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Higher education or heavy indoctrination?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock
They are such elitist! LOL

This is really funny. And I mean hilarious!!!

Wanna really have some fun. Go get a bunch of chalk and write man down on all their sidewalks. I understand that the newer generation really has a problem with words. HAHAHA

(not quite right here but someone sent me this yesterday and I think it sums up life perfectly)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I actually agree with changing the term "cleaning lady". Simply, men would feel "emasculated" having their job title contain the word "lady". Do you think a man would even apply to a job that has the word "lady" in it? Probably not. So, why should only women have those jobs?

I don't necessarily agree with "cameraman" though, because women are comfortable doing "manly" jobs. It just doesn't embarrass us to do "manly" things the way men get embarrassed doing "womanly" things.

One example is "boyfriend jeans", women of all ages are perfectly fine with wearing masculine types of clothes, but men get freaked the f--k out with they do ANYTHING even remotely feminine.

Poor fellas. So insecure.

edit on 19-8-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
With Princeton;s new policies in place, I wonder if they will accept my automatic acceptance(free tuition of course) due to anything less being obviously a sign of discrimination or inequality.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: primespickle

I think you're over thinking this way too much...relax we have been using the same common terms for so long we are all oblivious to them anyway.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

You genuinely believe that an equal number of men and women apply to be "cleaning ladies"? I strongly beg to differ, having worked in those positions before.
edit on 19-8-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I am just so grateful Princeton isn't in Manchester, relocation is such a b*tch...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well if someone is gender neutral or whatever you can't call them "he" or "she" without it being felt as harassment or similar. It's easy to see how "man" or "woman" is same. And you knwo what else? I recently heard they wnated to remove "husband" and "wife" from documents tied to marriage. I can't reemmber whether this was state or federal. Sorry my memory is faltier than the old dusty RAM.

Just googled this:
www.latimes.com - New law updates state code to use gender-neutral marriage terms ...
edit on 8/19/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I was shocked, but when I clicked the link I found the document, it's a style guide...

PrincetonGuide(pdf)

HR has developed these gender inclusive style guidelines, to be utilized by
all HR staff members in HR communications, policies, job descriptions, and job postings. These
communication guidelines reflect the inclusive culture and policies at Princeton University.

I went from outraged to, "oh that makes sense.." It doesn't look like they are suggesting everyone use it, it seems to be for the HR department at the school so they can phrase their announcements a certain way. Style guides are common in the university setting.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: primespickle

The only time I have heard the term cleaning ladies was in reference to ladies who clean. If it was a man then it would be cleaner or cleaners...this happens naturally without thought. What ad have you seen that said cleaning ladies for hire? I haven't ever seen that terminology usually it's something along the lines of cleaner, janitorial, house keeper, or something similar.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join