It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metallica Finally Remembers How To Metallica - And It Is Freaking Glorious!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Almost no melody whatsoever, and lyrics more immature than off Kill 'em All. If you listen to local bands I'm sure you'll agree this sounds like every hard rock/metal local band in America.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Oh my indeed. I too saw notifications of their new efforts, but didn't bother to listen. Your post made me listen and man, I'm totally with ya. This is the Metallica I once knew but got lost. 'Metallica Finally Remembers How To Metallica', to me that couldn't be described any better.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I, too, heard Metallica well before most of the others. My friend found a vinyl blue disc in the import section of our only record store. I think it had "Blitzkrieg" "Am I evil" and one other track on it. It was expensive back in 1982 or 1983...I think it cost over $20, which was a ton of money for 3 songs back in the day. We took it back to his place and spun it up. It was the most ethereal, energetic, raw and pure music I had ever heard. I was hooked from that day, until the day I heard the Black album.

Glad to see they are going back to their true roots.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Heff, it is a small world! I graduated from high school and me and my buddy went to Portland (from AK) to visit our buddy who moved there during the last semester. We hopped in a camper and visited his buddy in... Freemont! Before we left, we went to a show of some band called "Megadeth" that "Featured the lead guitar player of Metallica". I had never really paid much attention to either but like you, when I did... # ya! And travelled up and down the west coast listening to Kill 'em All (and The Alarm for some reason!)

I think the reason this sounds so good is because Lars' drums do not sound like tin cans. And there is reverb on the guitar (And Justice For All was recorded really dry--no reverb on the amps. Hetfield would go over to his buddy's house and wonder why the album sounded better on his stereo until he figured out that the guy had a concert hall setting on!) That is why this sounds good--and it does sound GOOD!

Garage Days is worth the purchase just for BOC's Astronomy.

Thanks for posting. Got one more purchase to make (after brother Zakk's Book of Shadows II).
:horns: (think there should be a bbcode for that one! or maybe :rawk!: )

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
ReLoad was actually pretty good... I liked it. I liked Garage Inc too.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Nice. Sounds vintage Metalllica.

Eh? It bored me. They've still lost it, sadly...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

At last, although I did quite like death magnetic tbh. Certainly beats St crap, or whatever it was called

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Nice find, man. I'd given up on them after Load. My friends and I had gone to the record store, all excited, at midnight for a special release. We listened and were all sorely disappointed. It was like that ever since. Anywho, it sounds like they got their mojo back.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

That was certainly way better than anything they've released since ...And Justice for All.

Looking forward to the rest of the new album.

It's unfortunate that Metallica went so far off the mark. Going from thrash metal to that weird hard rock they did in the 90's just seems like selling out to me.

Master of Puppets was the album that made me realize I was a metalhead.

Did you ever get into anything heavier (death/black metal)?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LordSatan

Absolutely! Although, for me at least, "heavy" isn't necessarily a purely metal thing. For example, I think of some Johnny Cash or some of the more underground Springsteen as heavy.

However purely in terms of metal? From Venom and Possessed back in the day - all the way to today and bands like Goatwhore and Nile... with a LOT in between.

Overall I think that Acid Bath may be my favorite modern(ish) metal band.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordSatan

It's unfortunate that Metallica went so far off the mark. Going from thrash metal to that weird hard rock they did in the 90's just seems like selling out to me.

i think it sucks that is a band reinvents themselves or moves a different direction they are 'selling out'.
i didnt too much like what they were doing personally but i thought it was great they were trying to grow as a band.
they did that # with the orchestra.
threw a little maryanne in there.

i guess some people want the same album all the time

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Unimpressed unfortunately

Metallica wasn't ever the same after the black album...

The early years was vintage Metallica....

I don't think they have that vibe anymore but we'll see with their new one

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Growing as a band is fine. Learning new scales and chord progressions, incorporating new technique, etc.

Personally, I don't think Metallica grew, I feel like the black album marked a point where their music began moving backwards, regressing. Going from thrash metal to hard rock is, basically, switching your fanbase. I don't like Metallica the hard rock band, I like Metallica the thrash metal band. Just like I wouldn't like Metallica the jazz ensemble because I hate jazz.

I'm not a fan of rock and roll, I'm a metalhead.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Acid Bath is excellent, my personal favorite band as of right now is Belphegor.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I got into a load of heavier stuff after Metallica got me started. Sort of went down a scale: Slayer, Entombed,Sepultura,Fear Factory,Paradise Lost, Cannibal Corpse - to name a few.

Think I did it mainly to annoy my parents, but Sepultura at least were one of my favourite bands - until Cavelera left.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

That made me think of "Spinal Tap Mk. II" thanks for that giggle.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Music has always been a very important part of my life. It effects me on a level that I can only describe as spiritually visceral. When I hear music, I actually feel it in a very physical and pronounced way. When I hear great music that effect is multiplied exponentially. Within the first few notes of a very powerful musical passage my heart begins to beat harder and faster, endorphins and adrenaline begin to pump, my energy spikes and I find myself completely engaged and sucked in.

Some people spend their lives searching for the perfect drug, the perfect high. For me, music is that high.

This is as true today as it was in 1983 ( I think ) when I was a teenager living in the Bay Area of California in a town called Fremont. Fremont is where my musical passion had really ignited on the day ( years earlier ) when my dads girlfriends ( you read that right, he pulled off the Charlie Sheen, years earlier, and had two live in girlfriends at the same time ) had told me that they wanted me to listen to something, before putting on an LP called Paranoid by Black Sabbath, instantly changing my life. From that moment forward I was to be a metalhead. Plain and simple.

That fateful day in 1983 several friends and I were sitting around listening to music on an embarrassingly large and loud boombox in a friends front yard - when a guy named Matt came flying up in his '56 Chevy Bel Air. As he excitedly jumped out of his car, a cheap, clear cassette in hand, he ran to the boombox and insisted that we listen to what he'd gotten his hands on.

About ten seconds it had all changed again. The sounds pouring out of that boombox were everything I never even realized that I had always wanted to hear. Anger, energy, pure OOMPH - all packed into a sonic concoction that either came from the Gods, or maybe threatened to topple them. This was incredible stuff. This was the wheel!

This was an early bootleg copy of Metallica's Kill 'Em All - long before any stores carried the title.

I hounded Matt to bring his copy to my house, for days, until he finally did. I immediately made a copy for myself. Over the coming months I made many more copies of my own copy and circulated those to other friends. Most everyone I knew fell in love with it and soon we found ourselves making pilgrimages to downtown San Francisco whenever Metallica played any of the small clubs in town.

Later I was at The Tape Factory to buy Ride The Lightning the day it came out.

At Tower Records to buy Master Of Puppets the day it was released.

I remember literally weeping the day Cliff Burton died.

Similar stories for And Justice For All, The Black Album and Load.

Load changed things for me however... I listened to the whole CD and nothing ever gave me that feeling I described earlier. It seemed OK, but nothing grabbed me. Nothing gave me my fix.

Around this time something else happened, Lars Ulrich went after Napster quite loudly - a move I felt to be unfathomably hypocritical because, as I just discussed, bootleg tapes is how Metallica got their first and most loyal following to begin with. Over the years I'd gone to the same parties and bars as they had and, while they were never friends, they were acquaintances - and this guy ranting about file sharing was NOT acting like the person I remembered - at all. To me he seemed to be a guy who'd forgotten his roots.

I didn't even bother buying Reload when it came out. From what I've heard of it, I didn't miss much. In fact Load, to this day, remains the last Metallica album I've purchased or listened to.

But this hit my Facebook feed today... Brand new Metallica... and I honestly feel comfortable saying it - based only on this one song - I think the guys in Metallica may have remembered who they are and their roots. This song takes me back to those early albums...

This gives me that reaction... that racing pulse... this is my drug. Metallica is back.

Music has always been extremely powerful for me too. Seriously good music is almost a spiritual experience for me.

By the way, I won tickets to see Metallica, Kendrick Lamar, and Major Lazer on the 24th here in NYC.

www.globalcitizen.org...
edit on 1-9-2016 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

They are finally back in sync on this one. And I've always marveled at that.
That's what first tickled my ear not just back, but way back.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Song jams Heff

top topics

<< 1   >>

join