It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Trump Loses the Evangelicals Will Retake the GOP.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: beeyotch

Then why did he choose one of them as VP?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Sure, his religion may well have been one of the reasons Pence was chosen by Trump. But he didn't really need him to shore up his support in the South which is the area of the country that has the highest density of Evangelicals, Trump won them against a field against many other candidates who had far greater Evangelical cred than Trump. He also chose him because he's a rust belt governor, acceptable to the GoP establishment, solid on immigration, and probably other reasons. Despite popular belief Evangelical congregations are far less monolithic politically than is presented in the media. Notice that I said congregations not leadership.Evangelicals include all races and political persuasion, and I consider them brothers and sisters in Christ regardless of who they vote for. As a matter of fact I believe you'd find that even if you take out the largely politically Democratic Black Churches, Evangelicals would be less monolithic politically than African Americans in general who vote 90% Democrat. I go to a very conservative church, and I doubt my church would come that close to near 90 % GoP for a national office, and even less for a local or state office where you are often voting the person you know kinda and not the party.

There are around 95 million Evangelicals in the US alone and 286 million around the world. Around 4% or 1 in 25 people ON THIS PLANET are Evangelicals. The largest concentrations are in North America, South America, and Africa. That US number is around a third of the US population, if it were as monolithicly Republican as some seem to think, the GOP would only need to pick up a few Jews, a decent amount of Catholics, a few other Christians, and some others here and there and it would have an unbeatable coalition. That is far from the case.

I can't by any means speak for Evangelicals as a whole, or even Baptists, but I there are more than a few, myself included, who were kinda pissed at the GOP Establishment pushing a Mormon on us last cycle. There were admittedly other problems with him as well. The Robber Baron vibe I got from Bain Capital was really off putting as well, say what you will about Trump but he's not a buy a company, load it with debt, strip assetts, fire employess, profit, and haul ass type of guy like Romney was. His failures as far as I can tell were legitimate attempts to create profitable business, and anyone who's ever attempted entrepreneurship knows that 5-10 failures (depending on who and how it's being counted) out of nearly 100 successes is pretty damn good.

But not to fear Democrats, if whatever rises from the Nationalistic, Populist AltRight to replace the GOP is unpalatable to Evangelicals ( an admitted possibility), they will join their brothers and sisters who are already there and influence them in the same way that they have the GOP the past generation. I'm only 40 and I can remember growing up in a Baptists church that didn't join the Southern Baptist Convention because they were too liberal, and there were still a sizeable number Democrats who voted that way for socio-economic reasons. It's way to big a constituency to ignore, and the Democrats used to command the votes of way more of them than they do now.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: amazing

Yeah but the PTB know it. Libertarians are up to bat. Republicans time is up.

I hate the world... we can't win.

Ha.. sure we can win. It just takes us getting to a tipping point for populous change. The tipping point comes earlier the harder we push for change.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join