It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay-only housing paid by your tax dollars?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

Sounds great about letting gay seniors have their own housing.
But...I think it would be more harmful in the long term if a certain,
protected religious group finally gains control over everything.
Placing gays in special housing makes them an easier target for those
wishing to harm them.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: starviego

Sounds great about letting gay seniors have their own housing.
But...I think it would be more harmful in the long term if a certain,
protected religious group finally gains control over everything.
Placing gays in special housing makes them an easier target for those
wishing to harm them.

Except it's not speshul housing. It's open to everyone gay & straight, with some useful services appropriate for the gay elderly.

People both cannot read, and have tunnel vision.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
ever notice just how many gov't subsidized senior housing programs have the word christian within them?

www.christiancare.org...

christianrelief.org...

www.christian-housing.org...

just a few examples...

all of these places, although operated by christian groups, wouldn't refuse to rent to a non-christian.. they'd lose their eligibility for hud and other gov't programs if they did. but, how many of those griping about this one little place promoting the fact that they would offer services to the lgt..whatever group, would defend these religious group's rights to discriminate against a gay couple?? and, well, can these groups legally discriminate against such couples now? I'm not sure of the answer to this last question, but it wouldn't surprise me that in many states they still can, and their status when it comes to the gov't programs are still protected.

if so, then our taxmoney is going to supporting this discrimination also...
as well as providing housing for a whole bunch of single moms, who's daddies managed to skip off without paying even half of the support for their families!

heck, some of those people you are griping about probably spent their whole lives having their money taken and used to pay the rent of those single moms who's daddies managed to skip off without paying much in support!!

if anyone deserves to have a little bit of their tax money given back to them, it's those seniors who've spent most of their working years in a time where broken marriages, out of wedlock births, were considered failures to be ashamed of and thus, stayed within their marriages, supported their families without the help of the gov't. only to find in their later life that such lifestyles were fading and it was now more acceptable to walk off on your families and leave the gov't with the danged bill!

edit on 16-8-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
It's for seniors. So what if they're gay? What's wrong with lumping bunches of them together?
Don't tax dollars get used to build facilities for straight old people?

No, they get built for old people. If you said it was for straight old people only, there would be hell to pay.

You are making the same assumption everyone else makes: that because most people are straight that everything must by default be built exclusively for straight people much like the idea that society is designed only for whites and no one else.

I dare you to go find any facility that will say to you that they are whites only or straights only. I would lay odds that they would all hasten to assure they are "diverse" or "inclusive." However, in the inverse, you very much can get away with building facilities to cater to one specific demographic because the rest of society, despite being "diverse" and "inclusive," includes the demographic you despise which also happens to be the most common one, so you can safely discriminate against it.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

In other words, discrimination is fine with you when it is for something you approve of.

I'm glad we got that on record.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You are making the same assumption everyone else makes: that because most people are straight that everything must by default be built exclusively for straight people much like the idea that society is designed only for whites and no one else.

No, I'm making the assumption that gay, or any minorities in existence, would be included in any senior's centre. I just meant that I would expect tax dollars be used to house any old people, whatever their orientation.
But if groups of them wanted to be together because they felt they had more in common with other "not straight " people, that's ok too. I didn't mean "straight only" people, would be housed anywhere else. The only criteria is age.
I've never seen society as straight or white, that hasn't existed anywhere I've lived.

I hadn't read the article yet either, to see that senior centres would just be more open and welcoming to the lgbt. Not gay only. I was going by the title up there.

labelling old people as gay or straight or lgbt... It's getting to close to "old people sex" 😳 Even though we're all getting there soon enough.....my inner child wants to be younger...

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

umm... this little senior housing program will accept any senior, not just gay ones...
just like all those christian groups that are involved with low income housing will accept non-christians..

although I knew of alot of christian groups operating low income housing communities, this is the first housing community I've ever heard of that was promoting itself as being gay friendly.
and I'd just finding it so ironic if I found out that some of the same people griping about this one little housing community are also supporting all those laws that have been presented in the legislatures of so many states that would legally allow all those christian groups to deny housing to gays...
because of their religious beliefs.

as if their religious beliefs are oh so much more important that other's beliefs... beliefs like, oh, I don't know maybe.... even gays need a roof over their head!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

The title of the article says it all...
New York City’s First LGBT Senior Housing Development Coming to The Bronx
By Ed García Conde on June 30, 2016

and yes,I did read where straight people could apply for this housing as well.
edit on 16-8-2016 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I have seen over 50 years of government funded housing and would never live in it or even near it.

In the town i live in the turned some old navy housing into low income housing.

The name for that housing now is "Criminal Gardens"

I am a low income disabled veteran and along with many other low income veterans we will not live there.

I bought a old motor home so i only had to pay $275 a month in a well run RV park with other elderly low income people and not have to live in "Criminal Gardens"

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join