It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. slavery reparations sought in first Black Lives Matter agenda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

The agenda was released days before the second anniversary of the slaying of unarmed black teen Michael Brown by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Brown's death, along with other fatal police shootings of unarmed black men over the past two years, fueled a national debate about racial discrimination in the U.S. criminal justice system.

Issues related to race and violence took center stage at the Democratic National Convention last week, though the coalition did not endorse the party's platform or White House candidate, Hillary Clinton.

U.S. slavery reparations sought in first Black Lives Matter agenda

So BLM has issued a call for reparations for slavery. Some of the demands include decriminalization of drugs and prostitution.

I do find it odd that the NAACP is not part of this.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the nation's oldest and largest civil rights organization, was not listed among them.

I did find this a deal of good news however:

The agenda calls for an end to the death penalty, decriminalization of drug-related offenses and prostitution, and the "demilitarization" of police departments. It seeks reparations for lasting harms caused to African-Americans of slavery and investment in education and jobs.

While I don't agree with abolishing the death penalty, it is hardly a selfish demand.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
So who pays for these "reparations" ?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
So , they want money. The government would probably give it to em. But , they would so heavily tax it , they would wind up owing the government....

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Democrats!

The NAACP is smart to not get involved with these nut jobs.

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: crazyewok
So , they want money. The government would probably give it to em. But , they would so heavily tax it , they would wind up owing the government....

Well seeing as the black community are the biggest recipient of welfare I say they have had there "reparations" and then some.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Is that rhetorical question?

It would have to be paid for by a special tax on "white people", of course.

It would not make sense to pay these funds out of general tax revenues, because then you would in effect also be taxing "black people" in order to pay them reparations. You would also be taxing Asians, Hispanics, people of Middle-Eastern extraction, etc.

So, of course, Caucasians would have to pay extra tax, for practices that happened a couple of hundred years ago, by people that may - or may not - be relatives of those being assessed for this burden (people whose ancestors came to America after abolition...white or not...had nothing to do with slavery).

This is just a call for another form of Welfare, by a group of opportunists.
edit on 2-8-2016 by mobiusmale because: typo

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I cant pay anybody nothing. The government took all my hope and all my change. I'm poor.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I wonder if Blm would find it racist to provide reparations to families of slaves who weren't black
edit on 2-8-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The other day I stumbled upon this site - reparations.me - and was shocked.

I mean, mutual aid is a great thing, and it is what Americans are known for and can be proud of.

But in my opinion, it is absolutely unacceptable to speak about "reparations". Moreover, in such exacting form.

This # increases tension and divides Americans. That's the real purpose. You’re being manipulated, IMO. But you know that, don't you?

P.S. Here's just one example of impertinence they promote:

REQUEST: Gaming Therapy

I know it may not sound like a serious request, but it is serious to me. Between school and bills, my wallet is pretty empty when it comes to leisure funds. So, I ask you to help me obtain a game. I have several on my list, but the one I want the most is the new World of Warcraft game, due out August 30th. Gaming is how I unwind from the day's stress, so this would provide some much needed relaxation for me.

It's like..."Hey kid, here's your copy of WoW, don't thank, these are reparations!" What the heck?
edit on JAmerica/Chicago02America/Chicago08Tueam23ndAmerica/Chicago by JedemDasSeine because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The black Africans that sold them in the first place.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Oh, I just can't wait to pay people who were never slaves for slaves I never owned...

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Now listen you viking bastards, my fore father's could have been slaves or they may have even helped you guys to get Saxon's into slavery but who cares about the details.. I need money ok, yes lots of money, because money makes everything better.. I do not care that only a tiny percentage where actually slaves back then I am from Saxon heritage and money needs to be payed directly to me. I also question how you can live with the guilt, regardless that it is hundreds of years out of living memory and the world has changed totally.. Pay me now...

Cash preferred but I will accept bankers draft, I do not care which country it comes from but if you have Viking heritage you owe me big time..

RA

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
We should just agree to their demands and give $1 million to anyone who was a slave that is alive today.

This money will be paid by any African still alive today that sold them into slavery.

edit on 2-8-2016 by RobotBomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

I cant pay anybody nothing. The government took all my hope and all my change. I'm poor.

Preaching to the choir. I've watched my healthcare premiums and deductibles go up. All food go up. Gas and vehicle tax as well. Wages?...not so much.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

Yeah the "hope and change" turned into -I hope I have enough change left to buy something to eat....

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: RobotBomb
We should just agree to their demands and give $1 million to anyone who was a slave that is alive today.

This money will be paid by any African still alive today that sold them into slavery.

Issue resolved.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
People of today who are descended from black slaves are surely descended from their white slave masters too?

Why should the anyone else have to pay reparation to the descendants of slave owners / traders?

In many cases their predicament started with the behaviour of their own grandfathers.

It would be interesting to see the complete family trees of those claiming to be the descendants of slaves.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
BLM is full of crap and a whole bunch of opportunistic good for nothing, America of today is no even close to the America of slave times, no modern America own anything to any of them as a matter of fact we tax payers that have nothing to do with slavery are paying already to many of them in the name of welfare.

BLM can kiss my Latino butt.

Successful black people and hard working black people careless what BLM Is doing in their name.

Another scam working themselves on the backs of tax payers.
edit on 2-8-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Non-blacks I suppose?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

This happened back in the 60's civil rights movement and others that followed. Gained some grass roots support, and the issue kept coming around and around.

It never quite took hold as it was clear that we'd be talking about the kids of kids of kids or some whose ancestors were brought in bondage. But the question quickly came that how does one pay the descendants and not the original sufferers?

That particular point became the issue. But, I can understand the issue to that point, tho going past it isnt who pays for it, but who...generations later....gets it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join