It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humpback whales around the globe are mysteriously rescuing animals from orcas

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I said as much above. They are identifying the MEKW's songs and selectively going after them. This is like an elephant only going after lions that eat elephants and hippos. You don't find this behavior intriguing? Just nothing to see here move along?

Also there is no known variation between MEKW and FEKW songs.

Source
edit on 1-8-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

Orca pods have distinct songs for various things and distinct songs from pod to pod. It was one of the reasons why the whale from Free Willy could not be rehabilitated and released back into the wild ... the whales who live in captivity have their own language and cannot speak to wild whales, assuming they ever knew the language of a wild pod. Most captive whales are captive born these days.

So since Humpbacks are also a complex and communicative creature with their own sing repertoires, one would think they might be able to distinguish between the various calls of the local Orca pods enough to know what prey is being chased.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There is no known variation between MEKWs and FEKWs. They have social group song differences, sure, but if the KWs have so much variation how are the humpbacks picking out all these different groups and pods that are attacking mammals?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I didn't say completely different, I said variations. Killer whales know who's who based on those variations. It's like chimpanzee groups each have their own cultures that are distinct to them while still being chimps and recognizable as such in overall behavior.

If a whale doesn't know the lingo, it doesn't fit in, and it learns the lingo over the course of growing up with its pod.

HUmpbacks don't have to reproduce all the variations. They just have to get the basic gist of what's being said.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Just to play devils advocate, how do we actually know it is just the MEKW's that are being attacked? I know we have the observable accounts but i am willing to bet that is a drop in the ocean (pun not intended) compared to the actual number of interactions between Orca's and Humpbacks. Perhaps it is just mammalian rivalry? Dolphins (Orca's) vs Whales (Humpbacks).

ETA:

Truly interesting thread though.

edit on 1-8-2016 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2016 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Fair enough. I can get behind that. I still find it intriguing that they only go after MEKWs. That would mean that they recognize dfferent languages so to speak. I know of no other mammals that do this with such precision. Also that Killer whales have different words for food that humpbacks can recognize.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

As you said, from what we know. It's the best we've got.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Exactly, I wish we would sink some of our (Western nations) war money into exploring and understanding the oceans instead.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I speak whale.

lol, Dory.

Whales and Dolphins are smart.

I was a fan of Dr. Lilly years ago and read a lot of his studies of dolphins and cetaceans.

Anyway, why the humpbacks are doing these things, beats me.

Good relations? Sea mammals are not dumb.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Bwahahaha!

Porpoise defense aid pact.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Sea mammals are definitely not dumb........but then Orca's are mammals too (largest member of the Dolphin family). Orca's really intrigue me in that they are truly superb hunters but also kill for fun......and yet i haven't heard of a single account of an Orca attacking a human in the wild - they do in Seaworld but then wouldn't you in there position?

I'm sure it must have happened at some point but i can't recall hearing about it.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod

Fair enough. I can get behind that. I still find it intriguing that they only go after MEKWs. That would mean that they recognize dfferent languages so to speak. I know of no other mammals that do this with such precision. Also that Killer whales have different words for food that humpbacks can recognize.

Given the way that humpbacks sing and compose, it's not a stretch to think they have enough of an "ear" to be able to figure out what's going on.

But since it seems to be a group activity for male humpbacks to begin and riff off of each others' songs like jazz, they would have to have the ability to hear and recall music. Humpbacks are long-lived like Orcas and would be able to put two and two together. Orcas don't seem to vary their songs like Humpbacks have to, so learn one song for an Orca and see what they are doing, and you know what's going to happen when you hear it.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

No it's not a stretch by any means (not sarcasm). The going after them instead of running AKA mobbing behavior instead of fleeing is also neat.

Whales are just cool and getting cooler the more we know.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Sea mammals are definitely not dumb........but then Orca's are mammals too (largest member of the Dolphin family). Orca's really intrigue me in that they are truly superb hunters but also kill for fun......and yet i haven't heard of a single account of an Orca attacking a human in the wild - they do in Seaworld but then wouldn't you in there position?

I'm sure it must have happened at some point but i can't recall hearing about it.

I haven't either.

They can raise hell with seals and sea lions tho. They will chase them onto the beach, well, waters edge.
I'll look for a vid.

I feel bad for them. I've seen them knock them off a chunk of ice flow.

They also will eat only the tongue out of whales.

Amazing animals.

There is this program involving dolphins and pregnant women, I'm a little fuzzy on why exactly they do it.
Maybe something about their sonar.

We don't know a hellofalot about their behavior anyway. (whales)

Mostly just observations from the surface.

Their bubble nets are cool when they round up a school of fish.

Wow, long time since I've thought about them.

Thanks OP.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The humpback / orca war?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
The humpback / orca war?

ooooooooooooooooo, lol.

orca's are quick and they all have teeth.

The humps need to get the spermies on their side.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

It depends on who the dolphins ally with.

They are sick #s like the orcas. If they join the war the humpbacks are screwed!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

And you are basing what you think you know on one study. I don't even know why you are actually disagreeing wth me. The top predators of the sea are, have always been, the killer whales. You think other sea life knows that?

edit on 1-8-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yep. Better than your no study, I saw it on TV arguement.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this piece of research to my ttention. Great thread.

There was a comment in this thread which stated "animals are animals". While this is absolutely true, it may miss the point. Surely, humans are animals too and we exhibit some odd behavior in comparison to other animals.

In any case, you might be interested in this read:
www.newscientist.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join