It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soul Mates do they exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I have often wondered if soul mates exist, i believe they do however, i'd like your take on it.

“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake.

But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave. A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master...” ― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love tags:

“This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

What do you say ATS? Are Soul Mates Real? If we actually found our Soul Mate What would we do to hold onto them, would we need to? Or is it all just Fantasy?

Ok i dont usually post threads of this type but, i have been curious for a while now. My dreams tell me that we do indeed have a soul mate for lack of a better word, and that we should cherish every moment we have with them before it's too late.

ETA: Keep in mind this excerpt was written by a woman who wrote the memoir for Eat,Love,Pray .. movie www.goodreads.com...

I dont necessarily agree on all points with her, i'm just the messenger however, i do believe it's possible to find your soul mate and live with them, happily ever after. I'm guess i'm just a romantic that way.

edit on 7/27/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I believe so..

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

We all love the romanticized idea of a "soul mate" and i know ive said plenty of times to my partner that she is mine..

But in truth, i dont believe that our souls have a counter part.. but i do believe everyone comes into your life for a purpose, whether that is to teach you love, pain, happiness, or a lesson.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
I have often wondered if soul mates exist, i believe they do however, i'd like your take on it.

“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake.

But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave. A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master...” ― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love tags:

“This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

What do you say ATS? Are Soul Mates Real? If we actually found our Soul Mate What would we do to hold onto them, would we need to? Or is it all just Fantasy?

Ok i dont usually post threads of this type but, i have been curious for a while now. My dreams tell me that we do indeed have a soul mate for lack of a better word, and that we should cherish every moment we have with them before it's too late.

I was thinking the same thing the other day whilst flirting with somebody and found myself asking could this person be my soul mate.

I think that a soul mate does not necisarlly have to be your partner and a soul mate that is a partner can have all kind of issues.

I have a soul mate but not in that sense, I have known him for over 20 years and he has a beard as big as my own, he is the only person that I have never held anything back from and he has seen me truley broken, I have held him whilst he wept like a child and I would do anything for him, anything.

Even though he lives in another country now and we only see each other maybe once or twice a year we are always there for each other no matter what and without the complications of a sexual and financial relationship we always will be.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I have a soul mate but not in that sense, I have known him for over 20 years and he has a beard as big as my own, he is the only person that I have never held anything back from and he has seen me truley broken, I have held him whilst he wept like a child and I would do anything for him, anything.

I like that thought Nonspecific, i too have a friend like that and i too would say in that sense hes more a soulmate to me than my own partner..

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

That was beautiful,Thankyou for sharing your experience.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
my wife seems to think so,

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMNicks

We all love the romanticized idea of a "soul mate" and i know ive said plenty of times to my partner that she is mine..

But in truth, i dont believe that our souls have a counter part.. but i do believe everyone comes into your life for a purpose, whether that is to teach you love, pain, happiness, or a lesson.

Thankyou for that, so do i. And when we lose our soul mate, i believe they always make their way back to us, eventually.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel
my wife seems to think so,

You're a lucky Man my friend!

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Interesting.

I had always thought a soul mate was someone you enjoyed being around for long periods of time and had very similar views/outlooks on life and were almost connected in a spiritual way, stronger than a 'normal' way to the rest of the folks in your life. One of my very best friends, that I have known for over half of my life, is what I would consider a soul mate (my definition which is likely not the generally accepted one). Our connection ebbs and flows but remains strong throughout the years. We are quite opposite in some respects so that makes our friendship/deep love unique, to me.

I think some folks believe that they have met their soulmate and, for them, that is wonderful.

Some of the examples of a soulmates 'duties' listed above are not things I would want in a relationship romantic or otherwise.

I wouldn't know if it is fantasy or real because I don't think I know the 'proper' definition well enough.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Teachers are everywhere, therapists are everywhere, co-conspirators or partners in crime are everywhere, the soul mate only reveals themselves when the hardest lessons have been over come and the greatest accomplishments yet realized.

Doesn't mean they'll be with you as typical goes, as one needs to keep nose to the task of progressing and never giving up despite all odds, once you've over come and haven't given up even if it means death or beyond keep striving... once you've overcome even everyone else trying to kill you in various ways trying to be in control trying to make you be something not oneself regardless of your true nature keep going.

Only when one finally conquers all that your soul mate requires in the pact you both made at some point... will it come into fruition and both of you together again.

That's the soul mate, that's the magic in your life and strength unseen... it's the love people pine about and always feel empty searching for as perfection and try to hammer all others into in their impatience.

It's a blessing and a curse until we see, everyone else as teachers, therapists, co-conspirators and partners in crime.
edit on 27-7-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Interesting.

I had always thought a soul mate was someone you enjoyed being around for long periods of time and had very similar views/outlooks on life and were almost connected in a spiritual way, stronger than a 'normal' way to the rest of the folks in your life. One of my very best friends, that I have known for over half of my life, is what I would consider a soul mate (my definition which is likely not the generally accepted one). Our connection ebbs and flows but remains strong throughout the years. We are quite opposite in some respects so that makes our friendship/deep love unique, to me.

I think some folks believe that they have met their soulmate and, for them, that is wonderful.

Some of the examples of a soulmates 'duties' listed above are not things I would want in a relationship romantic or otherwise.

I wouldn't know if it is fantasy or real because I don't think I know the 'proper' definition well enough.

I believe there are many definitions of what a soul mate is. There are too many. For example extroverts most likely have more 'soul mates' in this category of friend types, and possibly romantic types.
Introverts aren't as prone to it 'as i am an introvert myself', and not as prone to many friend type soul mate scenarios. I have however, encountered two that i would consider to be my soul mate. One is no more, the other lingers.

It's for each individual to decide imo whether or not they do indeed have a connection with someone, who they not only feel is a friend, but also a lover. To me a soul mate is both. It is the engulfment of all things. And rare indeed to find.

Some people never find that. There are other aspects as well i feel, that deserve that title. Those who not only connect at the atomic level, but also the physical one. I for one, can say in all honesty i will never find another, before my passing, save the one i've found.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Yes, and that 'one' who you can do and say anything with, that is what we all want in essence i believe. To be free to be who we are, and to be loved as we are.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

I believe there are many definitions of what a soul mate is. There are too many. For example extroverts most likely have more 'soul mates' in this category of friend types, and possibly romantic types.

Ah, that make sense to me!

Some people never find that. There are other aspects as well i feel, that deserve that title. Those who not only connect at the atomic level, but also the physical one. I for one, can say in all honesty i will never find another, before my passing, save the one i've found.

I'm glad that you've found yours and it makes you happy. We could all use a little more 'happy' couldn't we?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Ah, that make sense to me!

I'm glad that you've found yours and it makes you happy. We could all use a little more 'happy' couldn't we?

I have found mine, but it's complicated, sometimes we must wait.. patiently ... ah complications never cease do they.

I wrote this thread in hopes possibly it would be seen.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Thankyou for posting everyone, i do enjoy this topic epically speaking.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
awareness10

In the works of Plato (page 31 in this PDF version) He talks about soulmates. How the love of the body fades as the beauty of it does...but the love of the soul of a person stays true forever:

Alcibiades:

SOCRATES: Again, he who cherishes his body cherishes not himself, but what belongs to him?
ALCIBIADES: That is true.
SOCRATES: But he who cherishes his money, cherishes neither himself nor his belongings, but is in a stage yet further removed from himself?
ALCIBIADES: I agree.
SOCRATES: Then the money-maker has really ceased to be occupied with his own concerns?
ALCIBIADES: True.
SOCRATES: And if any one has fallen in love with the person of Alcibiades, he loves not Alcibiades, but the belongings of Alcibiades?
SOCRATES: But he who loves your soul is the true lover?
ALCIBIADES: That is the necessary inference.
SOCRATES: The lover of the body goes away when the flower of youth fades?
SOCRATES: But he who loves the soul goes not away, as long as the soul follows after virtue?
ALCIBIADES: Yes.
SOCRATES: And I am the lover who goes not away, but remains with you, when you are no longer young and the rest are gone?
ALCIBIADES: Yes, Socrates; and therein you do well, and I hope that you will remain.

Symposium: (page 1656)

And when one of them meets with his other half, the actual half of himself, whether he be a lover of youth or a lover of another sort, the pair are lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy, and one will not be out of the other’s sight, as I may say, even for a moment: these are the people who pass their whole lives together; yet they could not explain what they desire of one another. For the intense yearning which each of them has towards the other does not appear to be the desire of lover’s intercourse, but of something else which the soul of either evidently desires and cannot tell, and of which she has only a dark and doubtful presentiment. Suppose Hephaestus, with his instruments, to come to the pair who are lying side by side and to say to them, ’What do you people want of one another?’ they would be unable to explain. And suppose further, that when he saw their perplexity he said: ’Do you desire to be wholly one; always day and night to be in one another’s company? for if this is what you desire, I am ready to melt you into one and let you grow together, so that being two you shall become one, and while you live live a common life as if you were a single man, and after your death in the world below still be one departed soul instead of two–I ask whether this is what you lovingly desire, and whether you are satisfied to attain this?’

I love the idea of soulmates. I think they are real...as, they have been talked about throughout history in one way or another.. and I am looking further...but I believe every culture has some mention of them in their ancient writings/historical books. To me, that is proof ...

Thanks,
blend57
edit on 27-7-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I had such a lady partner. Pointed out my flaws when i ask, she was happy with those flaws. But also i wanted to change them personally. And she was there every step of the way. Together we inspired each other. As well as aspiring to help each other every step of the way to be better.

Disagreements were strange however (not fights, but rather a mutual understanding with a simple learning curve). Rather than raise each other voices, she taught me to stay calm and explain my rationale without repercussions or regret if you will. And she explained her position on matters to me without regret. From there we became better.

I fully believe there is that perfect someone out there. A Soul Mate.... possibly. The 2 of us were definitely Extensions of each others Soul. More important she was my Best Friend.
I miss her, as she is gone to soon.😔

I gave up on dating since. For fear i may try to compare another for her. Been since October 26 2005.

Edit: S&F Awareness 😊👍

I should ad that being a perfect fit for each other. We were 2 very different people. She was an artist and teacher. I was the Firefighter & Paramedic. Damnit! I miss her....... WHO CUT THE ONIONS😢

edit on 27-7-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

in such a manner of acceptance... everyone is a possibility of that at any given time without bias.

Yet, without that it is just growth.

But in simply accepting and giving? Then thats all you give to each other acceptance and growth in the name of love... not that pruning and constant tending to form them into someone you want them to be instead of watering and helping them be who they want to be and vice versa to finish out the pact.

One is form and one is formless, yet when the conditions are ripe the form comes into being as the karma is ripe for it.

Easy philosophy struggle to achieve... as bias of any sort does not work in such unions of one mind.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Thanks for that blend, really cool of you.

There was a time that i didnt believe in this, but the past ten years have changed me greatly. Time does that i suppose.

funny as i was typing i had this immense desire to listen to this song. So i'm posting it.

I always loved this song. funny how life does that eh. Cheers and thankyou for your post i appreciate it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join