It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First I just want to say Thanks.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Now that I said thanks, I want to offer a suggestion if I may be so bold. You have done an amazing job of building this website and I am sure many have come and gone, even some were shown the door. The moderating has been done fairly and for the most part things run pretty smoothly from my standpoint. However, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. You have rules and you have advertisers that help fund ATS. You, also, have way to much to chose from and distract us with, many of the topics that need attention either get overlooked or ignored at the expense of diversity.

I do not know anything about bandwidth or computers for that much, but I do notice glitches or at least a hiccup in the giddy up on your site. I just am not sure what is causing it, but I am pretty sure it is not my connection, it doesn't happen on other sites, just here, maybe it is just too much to download even with the cookies, anyway, not sure what can be done, enabling ad block seems to help, but I know when I do that it violates conditions, so I don't do it anymore.

Could ATS pare down some of the information that seems to be duplicated through various forums? Could you make the advertisements smaller? Could you remove these annoying background pictures? Hope I am not out of line suggesting these items of concern, if so, I am sure I will be politely informed.

Carry On!
edit on 21-7-2016 by forthelove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

When you've contributed a bit more, you don't get ads... The mods aren't miracle workers.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Its you that cause your own glitches on your end. Everyone, computer and member has different settings, systems, browsers.

Don't blame ATS...when you get a glitch or hiccup...it may not be happening for us all....consider your end

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Hmmmm, ummmm, okay, if you say so, but ummm you are wrong!

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Nope...and I never have issues..so...I am correct. A lot of us...do not.

Best

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

So certain and yet no evidence outside your own anecdote.

I don't have issues, either, but am too technical savvy to make such a bold (and erroneous) claim.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Best? Your condescending tone is hardly worthy of reciprocating, why you feel the need to attack me when all I did was offer a suggestion or two is very disconcerting. Good for you.
edit on 22-7-2016 by forthelove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

what system are you using--Mac or PC? What is your IOS? Your choice of internet browser (ie. do you use Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, Dolphin, etc.)?

Is your internet good? What about whatever device you're using to access the site?

I have a Macbook Air and a Samsung Galaxy S4. Even when I'm at low power on my phone, ATS loads smooth on Firefox.

Try Firefox, perhaps??
edit on 22-7-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

wow you're right. i totally just noticed that right now when i read your post. I can be so oblivious sometimes
or I must've just gotten used to the ads!

My point being--thank you for the info!

xx

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

It is not my system and I am not the only one, the site has been very glitchy and has nothing to do with my computer, browser, connection, it happens here at ATS, not all the time and I am sure that I am going to get over it, starting right now.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: forthelove

It is not my system and I am not the only one, the site has been very glitchy and has nothing to do with my computer, browser, connection, it happens here at ATS, not all the time and I am sure that I am going to get over it, starting right now.

There are glitches and lag time depending on time/day (likely an issue with my provider) but certainly lags during certain functions like going to my profile or various other functions.

Sometimes when these issues persist I'll check the speed by visiting and loading other sites. The lag time and processes hanging occurs often here, especially when posting a post. It'll just spin and if you hit post again it'll double post. However, if it's hanging on the spinning wheel after making a post I go into the URL and hit enter. At least that way it doesn't double post.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Glad to know I am not losing my rookie mind!

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Yeah, me too. I have no issues. Nor does a large portion of the other 300,000+ members. Where do you think we learned that its not us all? So therefore...something on a users end...is causing issues...Makes sense, right?

When said its "just on ATS" or anywhere else for that matter...if it is not everyone...then its some setting or multiple settings we all have different thats most likely causing them to have a problem here. Dont be so quick to ask ATS whats up.

It was the membership here that taught me that when I joined. Just sayin'...thats all.

Take it as well intended, please. Best to you, MS

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
There is an awful lot between ATS and the user end. It depends on what is in between. One may be going through a thirty year old switch somewhere in a basement in California. Who knows. A few ms here and there add up after a while. For the most part the user experience should be fairly equal. But it will never reach absolute parity with all users around the world.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I apologize if you took it that way. I intended not to offend. I come across as sarcastic many times. I admit that.

When I joined 6 years back...tons of well meaning and appreciated members taught us all a lot. And Im most grateful. We all learned ATS is at the Top of the Heap as to quality and quantity of content.

If one has an issue...in fact if several hundred have issues simultaneously, then around a quarter of a million members do not.It can be delays, connections, browser, cookies, security and firewalls, weak location and time, servers, settings etc. Anything. And yes...sometimes it IS ATS. For sure.

*You said: "it doesn't happen on other sites, just here, maybe it is just too much to download even with the cookies, anyway..." 1st CLUE is usually "It only happens on this site". For you...maybe some others..at your and other similar locations, type of browsers, etc etc.it may well be....

*You also said: "Could you make the advertisements smaller? Could you remove these annoying background pictures? Hope I am not out of line suggesting these items of concern, if so, I am sure I will be politely informed." These were only recently implemented and discussed in many threads as to why they are staying that way...by your join date, perhaps you were unaware as to why it is like this. The answers can be easily found.

Take my point as well meaning, and not as condescending, or an attack. We both are not here for that, and you are welcome to comment and suggest as much or as little as you'd like.

The membership...and myself...will always appreciate learning something new, hearing a new opinion, and discussing and dissecting interesting and non-interesting topics, news, ideas and threads.

Without you and I and all the rest around the world who are members...we wouldnt be the great site we are.

Respectfully again, no offense meant. Mysterioustranger

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

PS I too am also a published author, writer and Emergency Management newsletter editor...so writing wise...perhaps you can understand my style...or lack thereof...

At times, the mind surpasses the ability of the fingers to catch up and clarify!

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

At times, the mind surpasses the ability of the fingers to catch up and clarify!

You can say that again!

Perhaps a few things to learn yet in your infinite wisdom.

It should be noted I've experienced the same issues at home, on my cell and at work. Different OS's on all 3.

edit on 22-7-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

You know? At times, Im writing, working on things so much and so fast...that if I sit down still for a week...in a month? The rest of me...will catch up to me!

Thanks for the reply! MS

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

You're welcome. Don't worry, looking at your post count etc, it won't be long until you're ad free.

top topics

join