It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words and catch phrases that really frack you off

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Mine are:

• When people add, "Anyways" to the end of a sentence.
• When people talk they add the word "like" every second.
• Flip flops. Has to be the most ridiculous name for something.
• Using # when you're not even posting in Twitter, just because its cool and trendy.
• Politically correct word salad I.e: Misogyny. Bigotry. Inclusiveness. "gender neutral" and so forth.

What are yours?

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: PushPullDestroy
1.thongs, the word is worse than flip flops
2.being called slime
3.making fun of stuttering and like totally, duh.
4.being called a hot dog or banana a...those two words
5.expression, foot in mouth..hoof on mouth..not sure.
Fracking off..can you explain what a catch phrase is for those of us that don't speak the queens English?

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

1) Adding 'and whatnot' to the end of sentences.

2) Saying "What had happened was..."

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

i am an old guy (54) and i don't know what any of this means. My two boys won't tell me - help an old guy out

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: reldraI love ''and what not'' like totally I do.
I hate, nonetheless, otherwise and adding for sure, dude... at the end of a sentence incorrectly.
And Nanette spoken by people from other than India.
Never mind, I can't write dialects... it's auto correct.
Lol!
I don't hate mucho gusto.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

What????

Flip Flops is perfect. That's what they sound like when walking in them. The "flip" from them hitting the ground, most of all concrete and the "flop" when they smack against your heal.

Anyways....
edit on 20-7-2016 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
1. Mispronouncing "nuclear" as "noocular"
2. Only using one syllable of a word when speaking is not so "fab," (txting is ok tho cuz the whole point of txt is to use less characters)
3. Calling people "boo".
4. Everything autocorrect has ever done.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It depends upon whatever is the current fad.

Lately I find myself irritated by Americans who ay the word AMMMAAAAAZZING! in every other sentence.
Everything, apparently, is amazing for some people.

I've also noticed a thing for saying "it is what it is".... though I appreciate the intended message, and the exercise in removing the values we place upon a thing, person or event in order to get a more realistic perception of it,
seeing it parroted so often just starts make people look mindless.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: reldraI love ''and what not'' like totally I do.
I hate, nonetheless, otherwise and adding for sure, dude... at the end of a sentence incorrectly.

I prefer starting a sentence with "Dude, ..." You're right there.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Here's a weird one. I don't have an issue with this word but apparently lot's of people do. Like a lot. Enough that it's now a thing to not like this word.

The Word is : Moist

For some reason that word is now a word that people get pissed about when someone uses it. WTF is wrong with Moist. It's even fun to say IMO. Like Squish Squash, or Kazoo.

Have you people heard of this anti-Moist thing too??

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: olbe66
a reply to: peppycat

i am an old guy (54) and i don't know what any of this means. My two boys won't tell me - help an old guy out

I think the expression 'hot dog' or 'hot dogging' was an old term for showing off. Otherwise, I can't think of anyone being called a banana or a hot dog.

link   

I could go on for days...

* "I literally died laughing." And what, were then subsequently resurrected?
* When people say they "could care less" about something to describe, ostensibly, how little they care for that something.
* Butchered words, such as "supposably" or "nucular" or "excape". Drives me completely batsnip.
* "I'm fixing to drive to the store." Fixing what?? The car??
* Four letter words being shortened in some ridiculous manner: "coo" (cool), "bae" (babe)...so, what, that one last letter is just too much to type??
* People who type using numbers in place of letters. Why?? Just...no.
* When people say they "can't" do something that they very obviously can, as if they're completely helpless. For example, I can't breathe unassisted underwater. But can I stop eating junk food? Yes, I certainly can. I just don't feel like it. Big difference.
* When people anthropomorphize cats on the internet, as if cats are completely stupid and can't spell. If anyone wants to know what cats would sound like if they spoke English, listen to "The Cat Diaries". They certainly would not be babbling incoherently about cheeseburgers. For fox sake. That's dog behavior.

link   
a reply to: reldrathanks now I understand, correct usage of, Dude.
So when I see a tourist, I'll be all, ''Dude, the food is mediocre, but the drinks are something else...really good, great... the best around!''
😊

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I am unaware of the anti moist movement. Is i like #NoMoist ? lol (Oo, hashtag and it's not twitter).

edit on 20-7-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Yes! I have a friend who shudders in revulsion if she hears that word. She says it sounds absolutely disgusting and makes her think of sweaty armpits. So of course, everyone says it in her presence as often as possible.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I am unaware of the anti moist movement. Is i like #NoMoist ? lol (Oo, hashtag and it's not twitter).

So was I until my wife informed me of it. She didn't know what was going on either but that word at some point not too long ago started making people angry when it was used. Mostly women.

I almost didn't believe her then I started seeing other people talk about it being a hated word too. How weird is that??

First world problems, big time!!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Ah ha....Thank you!!

I knew it wouldn't be long till someone verified it.

When did this happen to such a nice word??? Poor Moist.

I mean it's just before Wet and Women usually like that don't they???

Nobody has time for anything anymore I guess. It's just rush, rush, rush all the time now.....

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: olbe66 I'm not sure either, it's like calling a person a taco or garden burger. Something round/other shape(taco)vs calling something closer to a staff or rod.
Sorry, it is from a schoolyard sing song hand clapping thing girls did...I dare not repeat..it irks me so.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

I've known a few people who hate that word. Reminded them of lady parts. They were all women.

A group of psychologists decided to find out. Researchers from Oberlin College in Ohio and Trinity University in San Antonio ran three different experiments [PDF] to figure out how many people really find the word “moist” disdainful, and why. They found that more than 20 percent of the population studied was averse to the word, but that it didn’t have anything to do with the way it sounds. Rather, it’s the association with bodily functions that seem to turn most people off, whether they realize it or not.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Personally, I have no issue with it. I think the negative connotations to those words with regard to women are just silly and, quite frankly, prudish. But people are funny...I can horrify my mother in a matter of seconds because she has so many hangups about certain words and phrases. It just really makes me laugh.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join