It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words and catch phrases that really frack you off

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Well, there ya go.

The fact that it was studied in a professional way is almost as shocking.

We really have a lot of extra time to spend on minor details don't we.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
In regards to the word moist......

Whenever I see it / hear it, I think of this charming old woman.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: kaelci LMAO!!!!!!! Shame on you for making me look!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Door bell

.............. just hate that word, thanks for letting me share.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
It depends upon whatever is the current fad.

Lately I find myself irritated by Americans who ay the word AMMMAAAAAZZING! in every other sentence.
Everything, apparently, is amazing for some people.

I've also noticed a thing for saying "it is what it is".... though I appreciate the intended message, and the exercise in removing the values we place upon a thing, person or event in order to get a more realistic perception of it,
seeing it parroted so often just starts make people look mindless.

It annoys me too but not as much as people from the uk who say everything is "brilliant" . Brilliant used to mean intelligent or shiny, now it means amazing ' oh wow that looks brilliant'

I hate people( mostly girls) around age 30 who put emphasis on the last syllable of every dam thing they say, but mostly overemphasis on any word that ends in 'ever'
It took me like forEVER
OMG I just saw the cutest purse EVEEEER

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cinrad
Door bell

.............. just hate that word, thanks for letting me share.

Haha I hate door knob

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I hate bff and besti or Bessie mates.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Mindful "anything" _ what are you 2 yrs old?
Have a great day!_ what happened to have a NICE day? I was OK with nice!
Bae, Nae _anything ebonics....sheesh! Of course the english language is going to evolve, but devolving is just ridiculous!!

I'm old so "synergy" still irks me silly.
# anything,
Twerking
Bromance

There are probably more but it's early and I haven't got my "full crank on" yet.

edit on 20-7-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
"bruh"
"crunk"
anything that ends with "...izzle"
"cray cray"

double and inaccurate use of plurals... such as "these ones" "those ones" and for some reason, what that p!sses me off the most is when this is applied to animals... "those deers" "fishes" "sheeps".

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
FRACK......I hate that damn term. What exactly does it mean? It should read what piss's you off.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I'm sure the misuse of the word I'm going to describe must be a regional thing. The word I am describing is lack/lacking.
A person in a rather high position at work sent an email to the staff that work for them and I was copied in it.

The staff were being told to get information gathered and delivered to the appropriate people.
The author of the email wrote:
'Let me know what you like and I will do my best to assist you'.

I hear folks say this often around these parts.

'How much do you like being completed?'
'I'd have this done if I didn't like 4 more boards.'

I used to think that maybe it was due to the accent (heavy) and now it is being written the way it sounds.
Sidenote: Last week, this person sent a report and misspelled 'preponderance' several times throughout.
It was spelled perponderance.
Are folks just getting lazy?

I'm in no way perfect and misspell words occasionally but this is at work!
I don't know why those two things bothered me so much!

edit on 20-7-2016 by TNMockingbird because: shouldn't complain about words and use them incorrectly now should I ?

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

I was a little hesitant to put the word in the thread title haha. But as I'm not sure how strict moderators are with "profanity" (I'll note, that's another word I HATE) I had to use it.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Hmmm,

Misplaced apostrophes. So many people have NO idea where they actually should go. Too often you get something with the apostrophes sprinkled in randomly as if someone wasn't sure if they were making a plural or a possessive, so they sort of sprinkled in the apostrophes figuring at least some of them had to be right.

Overused Exclamation Points. I get that you are super-excited about your upcoming event. Clearly, it needs an exclamation point to emphasize that, but adding three or four more does not make it that much more exciting. It makes it look cluttered and juvenile.

Utilize This word is way overused. It does not make you look technical or smart to tell me to utilize my trash can for garbage. It just makes you look like you're trying too hard to sound smart. Just tell me to use it. Everyone else would.

When people try to use words they clearly don't know well enough to use. Case in point: I once had an article from a complex that was very proud of the new cameras it had installed to watch the gates. Seems they'd been having a problem with people abusing the security gates. So they installed the camera "to detour crime" and even worse "they could tell it was already working because they had filmed someone ramming the gates!" So not only did they not know they needed "deter," but they didn't know it meant to prevent crime which clearly didn't happen as they filmed someone ramming the gates.
edit on 20-7-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Aaaagh! Lol!
Great thread!

All the people who have been interviewed
in the last week, who say, pooo-leece!
I want to reach through the tv & smack them!

I have something for sell, instead of sale.

Libury...No!
There are books there, NOT bodies!

Pitcher for picture.

Motorsickle for motorcycle.

When anyone uses one of these,
I go deaf & miss the rest of the sentence!

I'm really over lol & lololol too!
Time for a new one!
True story!

WOQ

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Words to avoid:

"Awesome" There is a Chevy commercial airing where "Awesome" is heard and heard and heard...
"Irregardless" There is no such word, it is always "regardless" irregardless if You believe Me or not...

Or if treating Myself to a night out at TacoBell™ and I hear the word: "Oooops" This is usually heard by a person who is sweating and they abruptly leave the table in hopes of making it to the Toi Toi in ample time to 'paint the rim'..
Butt of course, this opens the door to the word "moist" being used..

TacoBell Customer #1: "Boy this burrito is kinda greasy..."
TacoBell Customer #2: "Thats too bad because My nachos are awesome..."
TacoBell #1: "Geez, that was an odd feeling... Like a gut bubble..."
TacoBell #2: "Yikes, You're sweating like a hooker in Church™"
TacoBell #1: "OOOPs, it's the poooops"
12 minutes later-----

TacoBell #2: "How'd You do?.. You make it?"
TacoBell #1: "It was a wetty Teddy Ruxpin, way too moist... We'll need to hit Walmart™ on the way home for some new funda-wear...."

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Oh, you mean like hamboogers and pasketti?

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: PushPullDestroy

Here is my list.

1) Bae; a three letter non-word that has no place on the tongue of any sentient being.

2) I could care less; a failure to correctly convey how little one cares for a thing.

3) Aluminum; Aluminium for those who can neither speak, nor spell correctly.

4) Fam, and other examples of urban slang; an anti-cultural mess, advocates and users of which from every community and realm on this world, are never going to achieve more than the production of a bad mixtape, which will not be nearly as much "fire" as they claim, and a thousand Vine videos of equally low quality.

5) Irregardless; just...what...the HELL? Here is a dictionary circa 1990. If it isn't in this one, it shouldn't be in yours, now *THWACK!* you *THWACK!* had better *THWACK!* learn *THWACK!* via impact *THWACK!* osmosis, *THWACK!* because otherwise *THWACK!* you are going *THWACK!* to need major, *THWACK!* cranial *THWACK!* reconstructive *THWACK!* surgery!!!!

6) Trickle down economics; a lie meant to confuse the ignorant and amuse those who are complicit in the robbery and disenfranchisement of the working people of a nation.

7) Right wing values; about a dollar per pound of human flesh, more for the organs of course.

8) May contain nuts (when on a packet which ONLY contains nuts); appeasing the terminally stupid.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Fun as an adjective. Seriously, look it up. It's not one.

You shouldn't say things like this is a fun game. You should say this game is fun.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: olbe66

"Frack" is a word from the remake of Battlestar Galactica. It means Fu**. Obviously I can't actually spell it out, but you get the idea. "Fracking" would be the same as "fu**ing". As in, "That just fracking pisses me off".
edit on 20-7-2016 by DAVID64 because: Not enough coffee yet

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: PushPullDestroy

Like, lemme think for, like, one minute, anyways.

#thinking

Hmmm...I'm, like, trying to think of a way to make this gender-neutral without sounding like a bigoted misogynist.

Like, I can't think of anything specific, anyways--I keep, like, flip-flopping in my head.

#TheEnd

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join