It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for people who have ever worked at a restaurant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Something occurred to me and it is absolutely not conspiratorial in any way...so hello General Chit Chat!

I have a question that just popped into my mind. I am asking anyone who has ever worked as a host/hostess or wait staff in a restaurant.

So I order pretty much the same order every day from this place down the street. It's really good food and I do it like three days a week. If you had someone like this in your establishment, does it at some point become really weird? Like, "why is this person always here and always getting the same thing?"

Do I come off as some sort of spaz for going to the same place all the time? Same order? Or is it endearing to a restaurant to say, "this guy likes us so much he comes all the time, and it is easy because we know his order."

Obviously you can mind read. I will say I am pleasant, tip well, and keep to myself. Just wondering what you would think

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

i wish i could tell you my perspective, but i was always in the back doing the real work,

but as i see it the wait staff would welcome people like you unless you were a jerk, and eventually the cooks would know when they are cooking for you and somtimes hook up extra portions or free desert every now and then.

so what it comes down to tip your waitress and dont be a jerk and all is good.
edit on 12-7-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
You would be exactly the kind of patron/customer any establishment would want to attract.

As a retailer/shop owner/ operator...repeat business is the best kind!!!
I'm in my gallery as we speak hoping and praying to see one of our benefactors.

Referrals by repeat customers is much sought after!
edit on 12-7-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I was a bartender for ten years, I knew what my regulars drank and would have it pouring as soon as they walked through the door., unless they were one of those weirdos that don't have a regular drink (sheesh).

Ordering the same thing all the time is normal, people that deal with the public will be used to habitual practices like these. Just tip decently if you're there all the time, it'll go a long ways.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If it were my restaurant we would prob sly eventually name a sandwich after you.

Assuming you are friendly and decent tipper, they will love you. Regulars are what keeps placed afloat .

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I have never worked at a restaurant. We have the same thoughts. I too goto the same place for lunch everyday and order a takeout tuna sandwich with extra pickle.

Everyday I wonder if they think I am crazy lol. The other day I did not go there for lunch. When I went back yesterday they were worried because I did not come in.

I too would like to know if anyone worked or works at a restaurant and the same person comes in everyday and orders the same thing. Nice thread!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I used to love to see the same customers order the same thing... and I would remember things like, "no onion, right?" and they loved that. I bet they love you, Kyo.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
As a restaurant owner I can say that about 85% of business is repeat business. I have had customers come in 3 times in one day. I have customers that come in 7 times a week.

Sometimes the regulars can be weird, but its not because of how often they come in and eat, it's just because their weird people. Most of them I know and we have named pizzas or sandwiches after some of them.

My restaurant and probably most, wouldn't be in operation if it wasn't for people like you.

I take repeat business as a compliment. Not something to be weirded out by.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I frequent a few restaurants. The waitresses / owners get to know you.

True story. My wife and I used to go to this seafood restaurant at least once or twice a week. We'd order the same dishes every single time. I'd get the crab cakes and she would get fish & chips.

We go one evening and the waiter tell us that they are out of crab cakes and fish & chips. We are like WTF? Next thing you know, all the other waiters are just looking over at our table laughing. Our waiter says "You guys come here all the time and we thought we'd play a joke on you..." Of course, they had our dishes ready to go.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I've worked at a mom and pop drive-thru but my wife was a server for the better part of a decade and she was always very fond of her regulars. I think in a chaotic environment like a restaurant setting having familiar people that you know how to deal with is relieving. Pleasing strangers is stressful.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I have worked in a deli before and I know that if you're a regular they probably have a cute nickname for you if they don't know your real name. You are not just any customer to them and they value your business. If you stopped going in for a few days they would wonder what why not and hope they see you again.
Many people have the same eating habits and it's not weird at all to them.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
NO you are NOT a spaz!
I have done both waitressing and hosting..and IMO I would rather have regulars than randoms. See with regulars, you usually know what they want, how they want it..plus you kind of get to know them..so the stress of getting everything just perfect so there isn't any complaints makes the job easier. I used to help one of elderly neighbors (she ran a chinese restaurant...just a little tiny hole in the wall. The same customers would come in day after day..order the exact same thing..everything runs smoothly. It's the random people that are generally a pain in the a$$. Always complaining..always making you run around for 10,000 things..(like after you bring their drinks they ask for a lemon..then you bring the lemon they want extra ice...I mean they couldn't have said all of that stuff from the get go..I hate those people..because you run your butt off and they leave almost zilch as a tip.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Worked in restaurants for over a decade.
It's a yes and no.
Yes, the place loves your loyalty and that you enjoy that dish, it's what restaurants want, they want the repeat customers, because then that tells them they are consistent, and most likely spread the word to at least one of their family, friends etc.
And no, sometimes restaurants want people to be adventurous, change it up a bit, there's a whole menu to choose from.
But, that's only for picky places, and usually only fine dining will complain about that.
If you are a good customer, then no retail of food establishment will think you're weird, or crazy just be pleasant maybe make some small talk and you will most likely get treated better than the one time a month or year guy.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Amen to all of it

I wouldn't have changed my ways even if you all said that I seemed weird. Just wanted to know.

I believe in tipping and o so quite. In the past three years I have begun to go above and beyond. Not because I want notice. Because I live in a college town and these entitled kids will spend $100 on drinks then say they can't give even a $10 in tip because they are "broke college kids."

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I only go to the liquor store on a regular basis, so I have to help myself, but sometimes they remember my name
sahweet

edit on 7/12/2016 by ware2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Nope, you're whats called a regular.
edit on 12-7-2016 by Lysergic because: re

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
every decent restaurant has "regulars". It is nothing strange.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

We/I love our regulars.

As you said, its a compliment to the place and the people.

You also develop a rapport with them so its almost as though theyve become a friend.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I worked as a dish washer and we had a number of regular customers and the servers and cooks loved them unless they were just assholes all the time. So unless you are just generally unpleasant, which I doubt, then you have no worries.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Shoot if you tip well then they really don't care!
I bet they try and make sure you get seated in their section.
edit on thTue, 12 Jul 2016 12:58:15 -0500America/Chicago720161580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join