It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whose Down With TPP? The Democratic Party.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Bernie Sander's efforts to get language added to the Party's platform strongly opposing the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal as been voted down during the Democratic Party's lead up to the convention.

The consolation was that 'tough restrictions' would be placed on trade deals but I fail to see how this would impact the Trans-Pacific deal as it has already been negotiated.

ORLANDO, Fla. — In a major defeat during an otherwise fruitful process for him, Bernie Sanders failed to get strong language opposing the Trans-Pacific Partnership inserted in the draft Democratic platform at a party meeting here Saturday.

Instead, the committee approved an amendment backed by a large swath of labor unions that called for tough restrictions on trade deals, but did not explicitly oppose the trade pact with a dozen Pacific Rim nations that liberals say would hurt workers.

"We are proud to stand with our friends in organized labor in passing a strong amendment to the Democratic platform on all trade deals, including the TPP," said Clinton aide Maya Harris, who is quarterbacking her campaign's platform efforts. [url=http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/bernie-sanders-defeated-trade-democratic-platform-fight-n606481Source[/url]

Sanders, and Trump, both made their sentiments known that they oppose the deal while Clinton, who said she was opposed to the deal, finds herself in an tenuous position on it since it is supported by President Obama and there was always skepticism that she tacitly supported the agreement. I can see this being used as another tool to leverage her and draw comparisons between her intentions and those of her husband who was President when NAFTA was signed into law.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Not surprised, neither party will touch the next cash cow...

We are screwed... its so sad you have to start looking at Trump as the only chance to derail this train wreck.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
once again, big money wins

if hillary makes me vote for trump I am going to be so pissed.....

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Not surprised, neither party will touch the next cash cow...

Because both parties are lobbied by the same cow. To think that on the large agreements such as this one there is going to be radical dissent from either side is naiveté on that person's part.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

I am pretty sure this does not come as a surprise to you. I would like to see how people can spin her previous non-support of this agreement now that it is pretty much on the party's platform to support the deal.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Instead, the committee approved an amendment backed by a large swath of labor unions that called for tough restrictions on trade deals, but did not explicitly oppose the trade pact with a dozen Pacific Rim nations that liberals say would hurt workers.

The only thing this does is makes goods shipped here from Asia more expensive.

Increasing the cost of living on top of inflationary effects.

Basically put the unions want job, and pay 'security' at the expense of everyone else here.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Any opposition to TPP on Hillary's part is no more than hollow words, spoken only for the purpose of fooling and pacifying whatever group of voters she was addressing. It should be clear by now that when it comes to her, money/favors talk, and BS/noble causes/feelings walk.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Mark my words. When Hilary takes office, she'll sign off on TPP.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Your lefties are pro-FTAs ????
That's weird. Pretty much anywhere else left-wingers are against them (one of the few things we all agree on here)

...then again, our Conservatives are pro conserving Nature and yours are not.

Damn, your society truly is upside down.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: M4nWithNoN4me
Any opposition to TPP on Hillary's part is no more than hollow words, spoken only for the purpose of fooling and pacifying whatever group of voters she was addressing.

I feel her feigned opposition was directed primarily at Sanders voters who would have been fools if they believed her.

link   

The Democratic voter stance on the TPP really baffles me. It's antithetical to Liberal ideology and more in line with the GOP. Same with NAFTA back in Bills administration. This trade deal will NAFTA look like cake.

link   

originally posted by: TonyS
Mark my words. When Hilary takes office, she'll sign off on TPP.

I have not a doubt in my mind she would if elected President.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious
Your lefties are pro-FTAs ????

The liberal voters Bernie Sanders appealed to were for the most part against the deal, there are many who would not classify Clinton as liberal on several topics.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
The Democratic voter stance on the TPP really baffles me. It's antithetical to Liberal ideology and more in line with the GOP. Same with NAFTA back in Bills administration. This trade deal will NAFTA look like cake.

Which is why I find her stance now puts her in an odd position. The more liberal side of the party does not want the deal and many in the Republican party do not want it as well. This does not make her look good on this topic to a plurality of voters.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I am pretty sure this does not come as a surprise to you. I would like to see how people can spin her previous non-support of this agreement now that it is pretty much on the party's platform to support the deal.

not a surprise, no. This was negotiated in total secrecy with a sitting dem potus, and most americans just shrugged.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

This was negotiated in total secrecy with a sitting dem potus, and most americans just shrugged.

I really would like to see how she spins this with her usual political double speak.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Not to worry. Trump's gonna tear that deal up when he gets elected. LOL

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

He needs to get elected which is not looking very likely at this point.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Snarl

He needs to get elected which is not looking very likely at this point.

We'll have to see. The real campaigning has not yet begun.

My bet is he'll do to Hillary what he did to Li'l Marco and Lyin' Ted. They'll probably have to put Ms. Cough on suicide watch before it's all over with. LOL

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It's a party platform statement, not a law. There are any number of statements in party platforms that are designed solely to appeal to a certain constituency and are never intended to be implemented. We could go back in history and pull out a few, but I'm too lazy. In any case, even if a statement was an ironclad guarantee, all it means is that the party would pursue the idea in potential legislation, which would have to get through Congress before it became a Done Deal. Without the will and the power most party platform planks are so much rotten wood.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join