It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going through some recent vacation pics and found this...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Was on vacation with the family in the mountains of West Virginia over the weekend of the 4th... specifically, a mountain overlooking the Green Bank Radio observatory.

When we got home, the family was sharing pictures with each other and saw the artifact in the attached picture.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on what this is.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
looks like a butterfly

Probably a White Admiral

edit on 10-7-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Make sure the camera lens are cleaned next time, free advice from someones who's been taking photos for a hobby for decades.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Finalized

Thanks for the post.

If I had to take a guess I would say it looked like a butterfly. There seems to be no corresponding shadow, of course if it were large the shadow might be behind the rise.

What do you think, did you see anything at the time? I guess not or you would have included that in the report, but I have to ask.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

ETA - On looking again, I think it's probably a butterfly too.. Nice shot though! Reminds me of my capture of a dragonfly with my Canon dSLR, amazing to see such fine detail on it when zoomed right in, even though the original image showed it from very far away. I love my camera!

edit on JulySunday1617CDT09America/Chicago-050035 by FlyInTheOintment because: per ETA

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Did not see it at the time; we've got a 3 burst shot and this artifact was only in the first one.

ETA; how do I actually embed an image in a post instead of linking to it?
edit on 7/10/2016 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MegaSpace
Make sure the camera lens are cleaned next time, free advice from someones who's been taking photos for a hobby for decades.

If it was on the camera lens it wouldn't be in focus as the camera is obviously focused on infinity to get the background in focus.(You should know this being involved in photography for decades!)

It looks like an overhead projector to me (LOL!) and at a guess is about half way between the camera and tree line.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Here's a closer look.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
if you zoom in real close you will see that the pixels are completely black, no details on them, i wonder if the radio observatory could have affected the digital camera?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finalized
Did not see it at the time; we've got a 3 burst shot and this artifact was only in the first one.

ETA; how do I actually embed an image in a post instead of linking to it?

Go to the top of ats and there is an arrow pointing down-click it and click upload-select your file and click upload. Once it is there, click on it and copy the BBcode for use in post and post it in your post here.

Edit: Here are some pictures to help.

How To Upload Pics On ATS

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
if you zoom in real close you will see that the pixels are completely black, no details on them, i wonder if the radio observatory could have affected the digital camera?

As it's nothing more than a very sensitive radio receiver,then no there's no way it could affect any digital imaging devices.Even less likely (and impossible) is producing a perfectly defined image like that superimposed onto another image.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Close up it looks like a gondola. The hook top and the cabin. Of course you can't see any wires, nor is there another one in this shot but to me it looks like a gondola. Seems to me on top of a mountain and an attraction, so there must be a way up for the lazy...

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

It's a flying number 6 !!

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Thanks for this... After seeing this butterfly and looking at the pic again, I tend to agree

Originally thought the white area looked like a window.

originally posted by: Indigent
looks like a butterfly

Probably a White Admiral

edit on 7/10/2016 by Finalized because: Update

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Ah. The rarely-spotted-always-mistaken-backward-looking-floating swan. A rare find I must say.

It looks like a ski lift or something?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

If it was on the camera lens it wouldn't be in focus as the camera is obviously focused on infinity to get the background in focus.(You should know this being involved in photography for decades!)

It looks like an overhead projector to me (LOL!) and at a guess is about half way between the camera and tree line.

I didnt bother studying it after it was very obvious of being a none extra terrestrial object, only had a milliion of a second look at it, and knew it was nothing of sigificance, im glad the rest of you highlighted the obvious. A Butterfly should have been very obvious to op from the very start
edit on 10-7-2016 by MegaSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
your type of snarky reply is why I hate the Internet sometimes. You've basically called me obtuse in a mealy mouthed manner.

Thanks for all the other (helpful) replies.

originally posted by: Imagewerx

I didnt bother studying it after it was very obvious of being a none extra terrestrial object, only had a milliion of a second look at it, and knew it was nothing of sigificance, im glad the rest of you highlighted the obvious. A Butterfly should have been very obvious to op from the very start

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Tardacus

No, there isn't one completely black pixel in there, only some dark grey pixels with a slight bluish tint.
Open the image in an image editor and you can see it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 10/7/2016 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

a reply to: MegaSpace

Sometimes, what's obvious for someone it's not that obvious for someone else, as different people have different ways of thinking.

For most people, for example, it's obvious that a comment like yours is completely irrelevant and unnecessary, while you thought it was necessary and, probably, funny. You were wrong.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Clearly Allah's wife keeping an eye on things over the mountain tops. Case closed until bones decide to reopen it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join