It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is the greatest living actor and actress.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: M4nWithNoN4me

originally posted by: Necrobile
a reply to: LenatasataneL
I think I can sum up the greatest of all time with one simple name: Gary Oldman.

⬆⬆What he said. He's a total chameleon, becomes each character he plays. He was great as Drexel the pimp in Tarantino's True Romance, as the Russian terrorist hijacker in Air Force One (cheesy film, but he's the best part), as Dracula, Commissioner Gordon in the Batman films, and as agent Smiley in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. He's the only one who could convincingly portray such a wide variety of personalities. I also like Daniel Day Lewis, but he's not quite in the same league imo. Good mention of John Lithgow, he doesn't get the credit he deserves, very versatile. And I'm not putting him near the top but Clive Owen is another actor who I believe is underappreciated and underutilized.

For female actor, Julianne Moore has done some really fantastic work.

Tom Hardy said the same thing about him being the greatest.

And Batman Begins has my two favorite actors as enemies so equal and opposite it is a fascinating movie and made me a Ras al Ghul fan. Goldman killed it too.

Then I was in love with Leger's Joker for a long time and then Ras daughter.

I love villains. But those 3 movies had superb acting. Hathaway was great, Eckhart. Cilian Murphy, Katie Holmes and even Gylenhal was good.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: athousandlives
Christian Bale. His work in 'The Fighter' was unsurpassed. Absolutely brilliant.

American Psycho was his best performance, made him my favorite actor and he is so good I have learned about acting by watching him, I don't even act but seeing him as Bateman and Batman going from worst human being to the apex of human kindness was astonishing.

I said Waltz was the best, but Bale and Neeson are my favorite. Tie.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i think tom hardy will eventually be recognized as one of the greatest actors of his generation.
he is always spot on.
i will use bronson as an example. the move was not all that fantastic but tom hardy was amazing in that movie.

No question, Tom Hardy is great.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Someone mentioned the classics.

My favorite performance is a movie called Mr. Lucky (pretty sure) and starred Cary Grant (again, pretty sure) as a good hearted hustler who could charm anyone like Oskar Schindler in the movie starring Liam Neeson.

I have a feeling when watching old movies of transcendence to the era that is so comforting for a reason I don't know.
edit on 13-6-2016 by LenatasataneL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
From a sheer talent and range perspective,

Male = John Lithgow, comedy or drama, or horror, he always fits and adapts.

Female = Meryl Streep, simply amazing.

That's different from folks who I really like to see in a movie. (whether for the visual, or just because they seem to have fun, etc.)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

American Psycho, yeah, now that you remind me. Monster performance. And speaking of Monster, did you see Monster with Charlize Theron? Pretty pretty pretty sexy Charlize? Put on all that weight for her Oscar role? That one was completely amazing. Sadly I do not think that she has had a role since that has allowed her to show her 'chops' to such a degree. Pretty much noting but roles to be pretty in.

And oh, Joaquin Phoenix. He is so excellent in his range of characterizations too. His role in 'The Master" with Phillip Seymore Hoffman just left me breathless.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Charlize Theron's face is not even close to her face in Devil's Advocate. She was not only prettier but a different face altogether.

It is weird.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

And oh, Joaquin Phoenix. He is so excellent in his range of characterizations too. His role in 'The Master" with Phillip Seymore Hoffman just left me breathless.

What a fantastic performance. Powerful...some of the best acting I've ever seen ...the entire cast was outstanding.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I'm really surprised at the lack of mention for Daniel Day Lewis. He doesn't have a large body of work but as they say, quality over quantity. He really is it for me.

As far as female, I really have never had a favorite actress. Not sure why that is, but no one in particular comes to mind. Forced to choose, perhaps Vanessa Redgrave?
edit on 17-6-2016 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

<< 1  2   >>

join