It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Nonbinary' is now a legal gender, Oregon court rules

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
An Oregon court has ruled in favor of a person who identifies as "Nonbinary".

This apparently sets a precedent as there must not be any past court rulings like this.

A petition was started in 2014 asking for Federal recognition, but went nowhere.

Other nations have this recognition as well.

Let's see if other states begin the movement.

'Nonbinary' is now a legal gender, Oregon court rules

It's a brand new day for nonbinary, genderqueer, transgender, and gender nonconforming people all over the nation.

In a historic move sure to challenge federal policy, an Oregon circuit court ruled on Friday that a resident could legally change their gender to nonbinary.

The Daily Dot spoke—in an exclusive first interview—with Jamie Shupe, the Portland, Oregon, resident and Southern Maryland native who requested the gender identity change.

"Male and female are the traditional categories, but they fail to properly categorize people like me. So I challenged that," said Shupe.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The law is supposed to deal with absolutes is it not?

Getting into someone's interpretation of an absolute is a dangerous precedent, I don't like this..

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Other-kin be patient.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I like how despite all the seemingly horrible, potentially civilisation-destroying problems facing the western world that the main issue seems to be peoples, umm, "gender identity".

Probably just another nail in the West's coffin
edit on -050002pm6kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think it's all because of technology. In the past, men dressed as women and vice-versa, and "pretended" to be the other sex. Technology in these current days can make this a reality.

With the exception of giving birth, I think one day men and women will be totally transferable between sexes. In other words: sex organs will be hot-swap-able. This will probably happen with Cyborgs once they come into play but humans may be next.

My opinion......
edit on 11-6-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

We spend time researching Tesla and how Edison and his cronies screwed us all we spend time learning the Titanic was sunk as an insurance fraud.......so lets find out who funded and supported the activisim in the 6os and who is funding the gender issues we are hearing about today.....these small special interest groups are such because they have NO WAY TO BE RECOGNISED NO MONEY OR INFLUENCE.......so lets track down the money people who are stirring the pot within our societies and who are forcing an unreal and artificial dynamic upon us all....mocking us using the courts and money to make fools of us all and to stutter step societal growth....North America has been under attack since the 6os....the CULTURE has been under a very real attack beginning with the undermining of the nuclear family which was the backbone of growth......this is socio-political warfare being waged upon a SOCIETY ...a way of life.

Someone attacked our birthrate......first the nuclear family then the billions of poisoned chewy toys making kids infertile and hormonally imbalanced which we were flooded with might as well of been mustard gas because it removed lives from our society by the millions....then abortion whoch removed millions and millions more.....its been a multi-century attack.
edit on 11-6-2016 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
What does it mean ?

It seems to me that there are two sexes.

How many genders do we now have?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

We have 2 genders and lots of legally sanctioned deceptions......fiat genders....which create the same problems as fiat moeny create.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Science BTFO

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
My species is also non binary.

I'm both an eagle and human. Based on my spiritual animal.

Time for my to start lobbying politics.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
"Nonbinary," huh? So many nifty new words to add to our vocabulary... I found these earlier:

• Gender Fluid: A person whose gender identity or gender expression is not fixed and shifts over time or depending on the situation.
  • Transgender: An umbrella term used to describe people whose true gender identity does not "match" the sex or gender they were assigned at birth.
  • Pansexual: People who are capable of being attracted to multiple sexes or gender identities.
  • Bisexual: Someone who is attracted to both men and women, or to more than one gender identity.
  • Asexual: An individual who generally does not experience sexual attraction or desire sex.
  • Cisgender: A person who identifies with the sex they were assigned at birth.
  • Intersex: Describes a condition in which a person is born with a sex that doesn't fit the typical definitions of female or male due to genetic, hormonal or anatomical differences.
  • Queer: A broad term that is inclusive of people who are not straight and/or cisgender. The word was used as discriminatory in the past but has been reclaimed by those who identify with it.
  • Genderqueer: One whose gender identity is not just a man or a woman. This identity can mean different things to different people.

Source: CNN

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I heard a story on the news about a person who is "trans species" and "trans gendered" because he/she identifies as a female dragon. I # you not.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This is getting ridiculous. If you've got a dick, you're man. If you don't, you're a woman. Simple as that.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I just don't get it. Maybe I'm ignorant or something but there are men and women, there isn't an inbetween. Now that's not to say that there aren't people in the world who are born a man and inside feel like they're supposed to a woman or vice versa and all that jazz but really why are people demanding that all these different names for their gender identity issues be forced onto everybody else.

You wanna be a bloke, be a bloke. You wanna be a bird, then be a bird. I do not understand why people are claiming that they are something inbetween. Look being honest I'm Asexual. I have very little interest in sex, I have very little if any sexual desires but I'm not demanded to be known as a uber-asexual or something like that. There are simply two genders, like I said you can be either one and feel that you belong to the other but there is no third option, well apart from Eunuch but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
This is getting ridiculous. If you've got a dick, you're man. If you don't, you're a woman. Simple as that.

It's one of the few absolutely simple things in life. But some people are seeking to complicate even that... and drag everyone else along with them. Don't waste your time or energy on the mentally ill.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Except...

Hermaphrodite

Historically, the term hermaphrodite has also been used to describe ambiguous genitalia and gonadal mosaicism in individuals of gonochoristic species, especially human beings. The word intersex has come into preferred usage for humans

Aside from having an ambiguous-looking external genitalia, true hermaphroditism in humans differs from pseudohermaphroditism in that the person's karyotype has both XX and XY chromosome pairs (46XX/46XY, 46XX/47XXY or 45X/XY mosaic) and having both testicular and ovarian tissue...

Link

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Good.

This sounds like a step forward.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

So if you lost your junk due to an accident or cancer would you be a woman then?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There's no need for "legal gender" at all. Government should butt out of it.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

"'Nonbinary' is now a legal gender, Oregon court rules"

If people want to describe themselves as this, then they should have that right.

I will exercise my right to be constantly amused by all of this.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join