It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural Appropriation Is Bad And We Need To Stop It! Oh wait....what's the definition again?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It's fun watching the SJWs get triggered.
Cultural appreciation though (based on SJW definitions) doesn't exist and is plain out dumb BS. To SJW doing anything is cultural appreciation.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I remember being taught in Civics and American History class that the founders intended that our nation be a melting pot of cultures and through that diversity establish a stronger society. My ancestry is Norwegian/German, my great, great grandparents immigrated via Ellis Island from Oslo, Norway and were forced to settle in the Badlands of North Dakota in 1874. For them, moving to the Dakotas was a requirement for being allowed into the U.S. They didn't complain because it was better than where they came from and it represented an enormous opportunity them.

I think the spirit of the melting pot principle has been lost in recent times. I don't get offended that viking culture has been appropriated by Hollywood or the movie Thor and I don't feel I deserve special treatment because of my Norwegian heritage nor do I try to recreate Norway or Germany in the United States. Norwegians represented 1.4% of the U.S. population in 2015, (a minority group) but you don't find me screaming about how unjust it is or that I'm at a disadvantage as a result. I may have half Norwegian and half German blood but I am 100% American!

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Maybe you should think twice about using the English language and bastardising it into to your own low brow culture

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't give a *crap* what some SJW or "intellectual" thinks about what I think and do. They can simply go sod off and take their definitions and vile terminology with them.

Oh, you're a real maverick you are

:-)

Just how much don't you care again?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I don't particularly use the term but I hear it a lot... Care to explain what you mean by this?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

I don't particularly use the term but I hear it a lot... Try a dictionary

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Did you not read the original post?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I found no actual, legitimate definition of the term, only articles such as the one's below that seem to be telling me I am not allowed to wear feathers in my hair on Halloween or "Twerk" because I am white.... utter absurdity. 

What Is Cultural Appropriation And Why It Is Wrong? 
The Bane Of Cultural Appropriation 
What's Wrong With Cultural Appropriation 
The Dos & Donts Of Cultural Appropriation 
Scar iest Examples of Cultural Appropriation.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

My opinion only.

I think everyone should take that giant bug that lives up their ass and pull it out. Some cultures have cool things, so others will do it.

What's the big deal?

I'm with you in general.

But, the complete appropriation like Rachel Dolezal, I'm not sure. But, didn't she fight for and do a lot for black people?

If you weigh what she did work wise against what she did personally - - - "don't shoot the messenger" - - - I guess.

OXFORD REFERENCE:

A term used to describe the taking over of creative or artistic forms, themes, or practices by one cultural group from another. It is in general used to describe Western appropriations of non‐Western or non‐white forms, and carries connotations of exploitation and dominance. The concept has come into literary and visual art criticism by analogy with the acquisition of artefacts (the Elgin marbles, Benin bronzes, Lakota war shirts, etc.) by Western museums. The term emerged during the last twenty years of the 20th cent. as part of the vocabulary of the post‐colonial critique of Western expansionism. One early significant discussion was by Kenneth Coutts‐Smith in ‘Some General Observations on the Concept of Cultural Colonialism’ (1976), where he brings together the Marxist notion of ‘class appropriation’ (the dominant class appropriating and defining ‘high culture’) and what he calls ‘cultural colonialism’, though he himself does not combine the two in the phrase ‘cultural appropriation’. www.oxfordreference.com...

edit on 9-6-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

It means devaluing or basing a cultural concept and shoe horsing it into your less eloquent dialect

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I'm doing research on what the term actually means and the fact that there is no actual definition of the term. I still don't see your point?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

See I have no issue with Rachel Dozel. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: DBCowboy

My opinion only.

I think everyone should take that giant bug that lives up their ass and pull it out. Some cultures have cool things, so others will do it.

What's the big deal?

I'm with you in general.

But, the complete appropriation like Rachel Dolezal, I'm not sure. But, didn't she fight for and do a lot for black people?

If you weigh what she did work wise against what she did personally - - - "don't shoot the messenger" - - - I guess.

OXFORD REFERENCE:

A term used to describe the taking over of creative or artistic forms, themes, or practices by one cultural group from another. It is in general used to describe Western appropriations of non‐Western or non‐white forms, and carries connotations of exploitation and dominance. The concept has come into literary and visual art criticism by analogy with the acquisition of artefacts (the Elgin marbles, Benin bronzes, Lakota war shirts, etc.) by Western museums. The term emerged during the last twenty years of the 20th cent. as part of the vocabulary of the post‐colonial critique of Western expansionism. One early significant discussion was by Kenneth Coutts‐Smith in ‘Some General Observations on the Concept of Cultural Colonialism’ (1976), where he brings together the Marxist notion of ‘class appropriation’ (the dominant class appropriating and defining ‘high culture’) and what he calls ‘cultural colonialism’, though he himself does not combine the two in the phrase ‘cultural appropriation’. www.oxfordreference.com...

In our society we tend to care about things that are really, none of our business.

So this woman did that.

Who cares?

Did she hurt anyone?

Did anyone die?

When we get to as point where everyone minds their own damned business, then we'll have a #ing utopia!

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

See I have no issue with Rachel Dozel. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Actually, I don't either.

Work wise she did amazing stuff for the black community.

That's what they should look at. Why not embrace her?

Side note: I do believe in re-incarnation. Who knows, maybe she was black in a past life.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here's what I wonder:

If we aren't allowed to wear the clothing of other cultures and pretend to roles from those cultures because that's cultural appropriation, then why is

not considered an example?

This is a shot from Hamilton a musical about Alexander Hamilton and other founding fathers. You see them don't you? You know, the old white men.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Literally everything is "appropriation" by the "definition".... all it has to do is offend someone.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Appropriating Irish Culture is fine.

The Simpsons episodes relating to the 17th of March are truly funny.

St.Patricks day is a bit of a Public Order problem in Ireland too.

Russian, American and Chinese girls dressed as Leprechauns is obviously harmless fun.

Despite Genocide, Slavery and "700 years of Oppression" there is no cultural penalty for being Irish.

St.Patrick ended human sacrifice in Ireland.

The fact he is now celebrated worldwide may have lost sight of his message but is still a positive thing.

Sadly there are many cultures whose history has not led to the same happy outcome.

I can understand why they might not be as pleased about that as the Irish.

(OT, but I love your current avatar
)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: draoicht

Every culture has had war, slavery, oppression and hardship... I don't see the point in crying about history as long as no one is being outwardly offensive. So they want to "dress like you" or throw a party with a theme.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
There's no future in the past...

Perhaps a less euphemistic version of "cultural penalties" might be that the Irish are not subject to overt racism.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I don't particularly use the term but I hear it a lot... Care to explain what you mean by this?
it means when you use the language you butcher it so it can be used along with your mutant language

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join