It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Blames The School System For Flat Earthers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What happens if you ask an astrophysicist whether the Earth is flat? If that astrophysicist is Neil deGrasse Tyson, he first gives you a brutal side-eye that terrifies you to your core, before explaining the real reason why there are still people who believe the Earth is flat and we are at the center of the universe.

Video: Source

In this video, Neil offers a more philosophical explanation to why some people are willing to ignore conventional science by insisting that the Earth is flat. He relates the logic and understanding to that of children who think people on TV know who they are.

“I don’t mind that people don’t know things,” Tyson said. “But if you don’t know and you have the power of influence over others, that’s dangerous.”

This is just a short thread to remind us of that. Tyson blames the school system who goes on to “graduate someone into adulthood who cannot tell the difference between what is and is not true about this world.” In my opinion, we're beginning to see an increase of this mentality on ATS, as many are coming undone and losing their grip on reality.

Part of denying ignorance is approaching a topic and discussion with the understanding that you’re here to learn as well as educate. That your beliefs will almost certainly be challenged, forever willing us to question and reevaluate all preconceived information with any and all new information that attempts to take it's place.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Reveals How Schools Can Improve Their Science Teaching

“We think of education all too often as, a student walks into a classroom with an empty mind and then you pour stuff into the head, and now they’re educated,” he said. “And at no time are you actually trained how to think, how to analyze, how to process information, how to judge information.”

"They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well-informed, well-educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not interested in that. That doesn't help them. That's against their interests. They don't want people who are smart enough to sit around the kitchen table and figure out how badly they're getting fu**** by a system that threw them overboard 30 fu***** years ago." - Carlin

I didn't see this posted and felt that Tyson's message was worth repeating. The Earth is not flat and until there is evidence to prove otherwise, can we all just settle down and focus on more important things?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I blame the lies, the deceits and the manipulation of our so-called authorities.

Flat earther or not, we know by now that NASA is full of it and that scientists are either controlled or silenced. We know the authorities are supressing important technologies, we know that we are on a need-to-know basis, people are finally waking up to all what's wrong with this world...and then some.

We've been lied to so much, I only find it logical that people are going to look for anwsers elsewhere and explore other theories.

Poor Neil, lately he's really against flat-earthers...and knowing what a lacky he is, it will only push more people further from what he believes, or told to say, is real.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
eisegesis

I just don't understand why people care if others believe the earth is flat. I mean, sure it's stupid, beyond stupid actually but who cares? Why even bother? Absolute truth is an abstract concept anyway and the belief of another sovereign entity should impart zero concern upon any number of other entities that are in no way affected by the original entity's beliefs.

I believe that existence is holographic any way. Who cares?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Agreed. And well said.

Perhaps this is explained in other threads, but what evidence or reasoning do people have for this theory?

I've long been an advocate of inner earth theories which were mocked for decades. However, as time passed I feel more and more people have accepted it because there is actual evidence. But with flat earth, I see none.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I blame the power of suggestion. I blame television, or any which screen you pay homage to.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Quality post. Anytime you can intermingle NDT and Carlin in a post you get a S&F from me. Good stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Simply put, knowledge is the greatest defense against an oppressor's offensive.

edit on 6-6-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
eisegesis

So, ask questions? Be skeptical? Never take presented information at face value?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I don't think anyone actually believes the earth is flat.

I think mostly this is people trolling, just looking to be contrary for the fun of it. Or they just want attention. Then MSM, social media and other blogs run with it for page clicks and page views.

Similar to the "You won't believe what the latest teen fad is" nonsense.

In my opinion it's a non-contraversy, or a contrived controversy.
edit on 6-6-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

These people, are not trolls.

You'd think they are, but they are very serious.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
I blame the lies, the deceits and the manipulation of our so-called authorities.

Flat earther or not, we know by now that NASA is full of it and that scientists are either controlled or silenced. We know the authorities are supressing important technologies, we know that we are on a need-to-know basis, people are finally waking up to all what's wrong with this world...and then some.

We've been lied to so much, I only find it logical that people are going to look for anwsers elsewhere and explore other theories.

Poor Neil, lately he's really against flat-earthers...and knowing what a lacky he is, it will only push more people further from what he believes, or told to say, is real.

Agree totally, but confusion arises, are Flat earthers people that actually believe the Earth is flat or people that believe we are lied to by NASA, Gov etc. ?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I blame ATS....seriously, I could start a "the sky is not blue" thread and people would support it...

Wait a second.....Tyson was in Zoolander 2 so I don't know what that says about his judgment...
Hmm, maybe the earth is flat...

-Christosterone

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

Fairly certain the earth not being flat was mentioned once or twice before NASA ever got its first budget.

But it's chic to blame the gubmint for every last little thing I suppose.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

Sadly, you and your kind are the real problem here. You don't "know" anything, you "believe" and the part where you interchange those words, then go on to explain how right you are to others is exactly what this article is about. There is a very large difference between knowing and believing. In the interest of humanity, denying ignorance, and just plain common sense, I implore you to learn what they are.
edit on 6-6-2016 by network dude because: bad spler

edit on 6-6-2016 by network dude because: augustusmasonicus drinks skunky beer.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
eisegesis

I just don't understand why people care if others believe the earth is flat. I mean, sure it's stupid, beyond stupid actually but who cares? Why even bother? Absolute truth is an abstract concept anyway and the belief of another sovereign entity should impart zero concern upon any number of other entities that are in no way affected by the original entity's beliefs.

I believe that existence is holographic any way. Who cares?

It can be dangerous. Innocent kids are prone to latch onto something like this and have their whole world view screwed up and their ability to learn real things gets hampered. Take the chemtrail garbage for instance. It's innocent enough to think "they" are spraying you, until some nut job with a 30-06 decides he's angry at those government planes spraying him and he starts shooting at planes. Now he likely isn't any way smart enough to comprehend ballistics and a moving target 6 miles away, but that bullet has to land somewhere. You don't need people with that little grey matter having anything upset them more than what the world has already thrown at them.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I mean, sure it's stupid, beyond stupid actually but who cares?

I really don't care if they unable to learn or plain ignorant other then the fact that they may become a burden on society by expecting the government to pay for their existence.

I can only imagine what kind of worker they would be, other then very low end jobs.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I just... I can't even... My head hurts.

edit on 6-6-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
network dude

But... is that not the beauty inherent in the first amendment ? I mean, if we start dictating what people say or believe because there is a potential for unwanted behavior, where does that leave liberty?

Just about anything can be dangerous. I fail to comprehend, apparently.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
So... does he want to make renouncing one's religion a requirement of graduation?

That's kinda what it sounds like. Think like me or you can't participate in society.

What a prick.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Sadly, you and your kind are the real problem here.

Coming from you, that's quite a compliment since I feel the same about you.

originally posted by: network dude
You don't "know" anything

I know enough to be wary of people that think like you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join