It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use it or lose it: Occasional Ohio voters may be shut out in November

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Ohio is a swing state which means it is pretty evenly balanced politically, with less than one point separating Democratic and Republican Party preferences. So also, many political decisions would effect both parties somewhat equally. That's why, when I read this article, I was surprised as the impact should be a bi-partisan issue.

I am outraged by this action and think it should be illegal. I have always considered once registered, always registered. Quite frankly, the length of time between voting and not voting is not that long and someone should be penalized for what is going on here.

Also there is a contradiction in their policy. They claim if one misses 3 straight federal elections, they will be removed from the voter registration list. But then, they say if you haven't voted over a six year stretch, you will be removed. This policy appears to affect democratic voters over republican voters but regardless, it should be outlawed.

When Larry Harmon tried to vote on a marijuana initiative in November in his hometown of Kent, Ohio, the 59-year-old software engineer found his name had been struck from the voter rolls. Two hours south in Zanesville, restaurant worker Chris Conrad, 37, was also told he was no longer registered. Both men later found out why: they had not voted often enough.

As the Nov. 8 elections loom, officials in Ohio have removed tens of thousands of voters from registration lists because they have not cast a ballot since 2008. All U.S. states periodically cleanse their voter rolls, but only a handful remove voters simply because they don’t vote on a regular basis. And nowhere could the practice have a greater potential impact in the state-by-state battle for the White House than Ohio, a swing state that has backed the winner in every presidential election since 1960.

Voters of all stripes in Ohio are affected, but the policy appears to be helping Republicans in the state's largest metropolitan areas, according to a Reuters survey of voter lists. In the state’s three largest counties that include Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus, voters have been struck from the rolls in Democratic-leaning neighborhoods at roughly twice the rate as in Republican neighborhoods.

***SNIP***

In the three biggest counties, at least 144,000 voters have been removed, the Reuters analysis found. The statewide total is unclear.

***SNIP***

Unlike other voting-rights disputes that have sparked protests and lawsuits, the practice doesn't appear to be driven by one specific party. Both Republican and Democratic officials in Ohio have purged inactive voters over the past 20 years.

***SNIP***

Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, a Republican, says canceling registrations for voters who missed three straight federal elections helps keep voting rolls current. Since 2011, the state has cleared out more than 2 million records of people who have moved or died, he said.

Those who don't vote over a six-year stretch or respond to a postcard mailed to their address have only themselves to blame, he said. "If this is really important thing to you in your life, voting, you probably would have done so within a six-year period," he said in an interview.

People who don't respond to the postcard can be removed from voting lists if they sit out the next two federal elections. Many other states only remove voters from the rolls if they have died or moved to a new address.

www.google.com... 656.0j2j0j2j2j1.7.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..21.9.2101.0..0j0i13.GClvXAcKA4Y

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

I don't know why they do this, but states are free to have their own election laws and policies (as it should be).

People in Ohio know about this law so I don't see the problem.

edit on 2016/6/3 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Evidently, they don't as the lead in the article was about a voter who was not aware he had become unregistered to vote. Also, from what I can tell, it seems to be more aggressive in the last few years. I agree that states can do as they please but consider federal elections, it should not be the state's call. This also appears to be a far right agenda since I don't see the Democrats cutting their noses off to spite their faces. In this instance, the phrase follow the money should be replaced by follow the party enabled by these actions. Regardless, just be cause the state's can do it doesn't mean they should. It doesn't seem as if there is rhyme or reason or any consistency but I could be wrong. This issue should be consistent throughout all states in the USA. Some practices and laws should be somewhat universal.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Use it or lose it

Thats the low down and skinny of it. In every state in the union. Some just have different time periods. I missed one , one local election due to being in the hospital and had to re-register.

I dont necessarily agree with it , but I see the point of the regulations. And , no ,that regulation is no more for or against one group than the other.

Use it or lose it. Of course , it is simple (and multiple ways) to re-register. The next year I had to get my licenses renewed. I just told em "Yeah , I want to register" . Did not delay me one second. They only had to press y on a keyboard

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

voters have been struck from the rolls in Democratic-leaning neighborhoods at roughly twice the rate as in Republican neighborhoods

Of course, it's always about blocking democrats from voting. Republicans are slime with no morals whatsoever.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This is why you should never vote for the democrats or republicans.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

voters have been struck from the rolls in Democratic-leaning neighborhoods at roughly twice the rate as in Republican neighborhoods

Of course, it's always about blocking democrats from voting. Republicans are slime with no morals whatsoever.

No one is blocking Democrats from voting, but it is a clever strategy. By tying any kind of personal responsibility to the voting process you can count on the majority of Liberal voters to eliminate themselves.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Evidently, they don't as the lead in the article was about a voter who was not aware he had become unregistered to vote.

True.

I always underestimate how stupid people can be.

top topics

join