It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you introduce yourself without giving personal information?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

lol, the old days.

your name isn't private any more. it may take work, but just based on the things you talk about online it wouldn't be hard for someone to piece together who is who with a reasonable certainty. all you need is some data base skills, an ability to write some scripts to crawl webpages, and insight into large scale data analysis.

I know 2 or 3 people here on ATS who could likely pull this type of thing off, with varying degrees of success.

the only reason I don't commonly share my name is to make it harder for the idiots. A smart person with a grudge, i can't do much about. A moron with a grudge will likely not find me.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

LOL!

They certainly could be travelling a high rate of speed and sweating profusely, carrying a blade!

Stops at a diner to plan the next move!

Hide in the woods perhaps?

Drainage ditch?

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
@ the op....no to online dating. Go out and find someone who is real life interesting.

Lol, I agree!
I tried it once then couldn't deal with texting multiple people at the same time, I deleted my account.
It felt like online shopping so I went back to real life, parties, clubs and such like, focus on the one gazelle that catches my eye.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Haha! That's exactly the psycho I'm thinking of!!
Watching me while I'm working...taking and tasting the coffee cup I've discarded in the trash can...imagining the perfect size and fit for the body bag she's sewing especially for me...

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

You know, the whole shopping thing aside--online dating strikes me as being a treasure trove for serial killers and rapists. Just putting that out there.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
Uh. If you have a partner, why the heck are you looking for a friendship with another girl online?

I am not. I was speaking about something that led me to meeting my current partner. Because of the disaster mentioned in the original post, I decided to ask her out and things worked out well. However, we have a long-distance relationship now and I get lonely occasionally. An online friend of the opposite sex would be nice.

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Profusion

How do you introduce yourself without giving personal information?

Do what everyone else does.....lie

I'm not a liar by nature. A big problem with your plan is if things ever progress past the Internet stage then you'll be exposed as a liar.

originally posted by: ChuckNasty

Why not just make up some stuff just in case they are all stalky like.

You can use this site: Face Name Generator

Of course, you can pick and choose which fake fact to use.

And get a burner phone in case they want to text you.

And never give them your real email address, get a spam one.

Honestly, I was able to make friends with hot women online without providing any personal information at all. How? I was just a good Spades player. Spades is a game that takes a good partner to make a good team.

It's easy to find really attractive women who want to be your partner if you're good. I'm not bragging but really, if I'm going to seriously look for an online female friend, that's the way I should go.
edit on 2-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I think i have a pretty good idea of your character. im sure folks here have the same with me (35k posts is quite a footprint to leave).

That said, @ the op....no to online dating. Go out and find someone who is real life interesting.

galaxy of stars or you could end up with this

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

You know, the whole shopping thing aside--online dating strikes me as being a treasure trove for serial killers and rapists. Just putting that out there.

Tragic but true!
I couldn't deal with it lol loads of crazy women out there, I didn't realise, in and around the edges of my social group in real life is way better!
...psycho killers are out there of course but hopefully the social group vets it out...you don't get that on dating sites!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

TNMockingbird I think i have a pretty good idea of your character.

aha you guys are into some weird things I just looked at the member’s mood at least we know where s/he is hiding

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

You start out by talking about a common interest, such as art, music, or sports. Many people like either topic, and it's quite possible that many people like the same (art, music, sports) that you do, so it's not giving enough away. In my case, it was my mutual dislike for Valentines Single's Awareness Day that led me to become friends with some amazing people here.

If you feel comfortable enough around them, you could use a first name basis (I'll do it occasionally on here). You could also try arranging for a Skype session or date (if local) - I found that many people were willing to go on a date just communicating via email instead of giving each other their phone numbers.

When in doubt, always use a dummy email account at first - I have one account for those purposes. We don't mix, then their email is blocked.

-foss

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Why don't you stick to making male friends? Especially since you have a long-distance relationship?

I don't know why you would even mention that you would like a female friend - why can't it be a male?

Something seems off here!

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Tehthehet

aha you guys are into some weird things I just looked at the member’s mood at least we know where s/he is hiding

Still at the diner....

plotting...

edit on 3-6-2016 by TNMockingbird because: editing is an 'obsession'

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I am sorry but you have a screw loose in your head.
Just say hi I am a girl now how about you: I am a man! Yes true ok
edit on 6 3 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Lol my gf has the screwdriver again

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

So you do remember?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Why don't you stick to making male friends? Especially since you have a long-distance relationship?

I don't know why you would even mention that you would like a female friend - why can't it be a male?

Something seems off here!

I haven't had any male friends for years. I hate to use something from a fictional story but consider the Elaine character on the TV show Seinfeld. In case you can't watch the clip below, Elaine says, "I don't have one female friend." I've never heard anyone say it was strange for Elaine to be in that situation.

www.youtube.com...

The reason I don't want male friends is because I think people are dreadfully boring. Without the ability to feel an attraction to someone, I'm not going to go through the motions of having a friend. Unless we're talking about an Einstein or an Aristotle, I'm not interested in having a male friend.

Everyone seems to assume that my insistence on only having female friends is because I want every relationship to become romantic. I'm looking for the opposite. I want anonymity in most cases. Feel free to ignore me on that issue because everyone else does too (except for the people who know me best).

If that doesn't clear it up, please ask more questions on the matter.
edit on 4-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join