It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

April breaks global temperature record, marking seven months of new highs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

Great link I saved and will read all after I escape tonight.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I was wondering when someone would bring this up.

Are the local areas not part of the planet? Statistically speaking, a group as large and diverse as ATS should reflect the results. If the global temperature rises, there should be more reports of warmer than colder, for example. I'm not seeing this.

Maybe we just all live in areas that have not been deemed part of the planet?

Or maybe we just all live in areas that are 7 standard deviations from the norm?

Maybe all our thermometers are calibrated incorrectly... by similar amounts...

The truth is the global temperature is a Gaussian function, and all these reports are points on the Gaussian density function. The global temperature is the mean, which is the integral of [x f (x) dx]. We cannot compute that function, because we do not have all the temperatures at all the various points around the globe (f (x)). We have to interpolate to solve the equation.

The funny thing about interpolation is that it is extremely easy to allow personal bias to creep in. If you have one point reading 16C and another point 100 miles away reading 18C, what is the gradient between them? Linear? Very little in nature is linear. Logarithmic? Maybe. Exponential? Cubic? Some weird curve you just envisioned?

We take a guess, and a good scientist will use logic to determine the most probable gradient. But even then, is there a cold or hot spot between the two points that we don't see?

Short and simple: the source is a guess based on known data and assumptive interpolation. If enough local reports disagree with the findings, those findings are suspect and should be verified with additional data. Just stating that it's global and locals don't know what they're talking about is NOT proper verification of the conclusions.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
Ah! Global warming/Climate change again, I do remember reading a lot of articles about that in the 70s

www.populartechnology.net...

hope you enjoy a bit of history...

I remember these claims and I've read about the desire of the United Nations to pursue this scam. I've seen it go from global cooling to global warming to climate change and now the climate crisis. Now the DOJ wants to jail "climate change deniers".

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: southbeach

I'm in Minadao and it's been raining nonstop here.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Well for a start, ATS membership does NOT provide a comprehensive coverage of the entire globe. We only have a few hundred thousand contributors, whereas we would need MILLIONS of them in order to get an accurate read on global temperature. Hell, we have not even got enough people to get a better read of the weather on just the North American continent, leave alone the whole planet, than NASA and friends can get with their fancy satellites.

We would need to be Facebook sized to have a hope in hell of getting a better data set than can be gained from satellite data, and the collected, official reporting stations on the ground. We have not got the reach to get a proper data set going, so any findings we come up with based on personal testimony are going to be flawed and lacking hugely when compared to the vast amount of data that climate observers are pulling from satellites and the like.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The replies in this thread are such an excellent example of climate denial.

The OP didn't blame man or any other reason as to why the globe is warming, but there is a plathora of posters denying the fact that it is warming and their main reason is because it is cold in their backyard.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Perhaps I have too many daily news blogs, however (makes a change from 'but'), one news items stated that NASA satellites have shown that there has been NO global warming for the last 18 years, so, how does the earth get a 'hottest year on record' when there has been NO global warming for the last 18 years? The Namibian desert, a rather warm place at the best of times, has had a dusting of snow, so has Egypt, Israel, ( in the past few years, even New Zealand while I think of it, first time in 75 years!)
Until I break into a sweat when eating my breakfast, I'll go with global cooling seeing the news reports of high sea ice cover north and south.
Now Mr Phage will ask for links, cannot, I have adblocker, and cannot find where its hiding.
Must add, from Qi, BBC America, volcanic activity up 300% in the last 2,000 years, just think of the millions of tons of CO2, Hydrogen Sulphide, particulate ash, sulphur, water vapour, lord knows what else has been spewed into the atmosphere.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It has been warmer than usual in western Canada quite noticeably the last 2 springs, things blooming weeks early, summer like temps..water restrictions implemented already. Even the fires in FT. McMurray were attributed to the lack of snow/moisture this winter.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Nothing is normal any more....we get 'freezing fog' when it's -17 these days......Snow yesterday in Ontario......Would normally have my tomatoes in now but nope....way too cold but we did have a very mild winter and I think March tricked me into thinking spring would be early...I think this 'climate change' is man made but not in the way they're going to tax us on.....that #'s just a big lie.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
The replies in this thread are such an excellent example of climate denial.

The OP didn't blame man or any other reason as to why the globe is warming, but there is a plathora of posters denying the fact that it is warming and their main reason is because it is cold in their backyard.

What an amazing display of ignorance.

It doesn't look like anyone here denied warming, just offered a perspective of their own area. And as any fool knows, local weather is not indicative of global climate. Poor form.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I don't know about April, but just yesterday we had rain and snow near the great lakes region. I can never remember when we had snow falling in May and I'm in my late 50's. May has been rather cold so far. Warm weather bring it on! We need it up north.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

There is plenty of poor form going on in this thread and it looks like there are plenty of fools as well.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Got to Weather Underground and see where your local weather reporting stations are. they are in cities and town mostly at schools and Libraries. Now do you think that would have any influence on the weather reporting being 20 years ago it was mostly farmers reporting the weather to make a few extra bucks.

Are amateur sites from Weather Underground the primary data used in professional climatological data sets?

And what about the hundreds/thousands of weather balloons launched every day into the atmosphere for weather prediction?

What about the ocean temperature measurements? What about weather stations that have not had such land use changes?

The change in local use has been known in temperature records for literally decades. You think the scientists haven't taken that into account?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
But...every government agency, Climate scientist and university is lying to us. So....I mean they aren't lying of course about anything else, but only Climate data. I wonder why that is. That's hundreds of thousands of people. maybe millions of people lying to us about climate data, weather data, temperature data, climate models, atmospheric data, pollution, Chemistry, Biology...I mean they're just lying to us about everything.

But...somehow you guys on ATS and most republicans in the USA have figured out that Rush Limbaugh and Brietbart news and Ann Coulter are much smarter than all of those frauds in the white lab coats, because every single one of them wants us to pay a carbon tax and of course Al Gore, because he has, apparently now, more power than the Illuminati. LOL

Oh and American's reigning Genius, Sarah Palin told you so. Can't forget that. Wow! Is she ever smart!
edit on 16-5-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Maybe you could dig into volcanic eruption patterns vs. abnormal weather cycles? If you're into volcanoes, you have a starting advantage.

I took a look around to see if increased volcanic activity from the south pacific and pacific in general had any significant affect of climate change, and found nothing worth mentioning, but i think it's obvious if there is increased volcanic activity, it will affect the climate in various ways, but no find on how much.

Edit: i digged a little more.
SOURCE

The above chart is based on data from the Smithsonian Institution's Global Volcanism Program (GVP_ database of eruptions, it's a count of all the eruptions that started in each year, from 1945 to 2015. It shows about 35 new eruptions per year, but with a lot of variation from about 25 to 50 per year. The trend over the full period is basically flat, and while there was a slight increase on average from about 1997 to 2008, this is balanced by a decline in recent years. This year, 2015, shows only 12 eruptions so far, if it continues at that rate we will have about 33 this year, a bit below average.

I did find some interesting stuff though...i think.

SOURCE

I didn't know about this new island.
SOURCE

edit on 16-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Meanwhile, last night was second coldest May15th ever where I am at.

I know; I know ... climate denial ... just weather ...

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Apparently that kind of talk is not allowed here. You may only mention weather in relation to GLOBAL WARMING.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: ketsuko

Apparently that kind of talk is not allowed here. You may only mention weather in relation to GLOBAL WARMING.

We're still in spring here. That season, global warming, isn't until June 21.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi
What an amazing display of Arrogance!, well done!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I am in constant awe of those who believe that Limbaugh, Brietbart, Palin and other talking heads who represent the far right's theology and idiocracy got the climate change(global warming) right, when literally everyone who has actually researched this stuff tells us we are indeed changing the climate and there will be consequences some we are already observing.

Literally every thread on every forum about this topic is flooded with ignorant opinions void of any actual science and full of buzz words, attacks on Al Gore and among other things an attempt to label science as a religious/cult following.

It is upsetting and I truly feel there is some serious astroturfing that happens online in these discussions. I have yet to meet an aware person in real life who disagrees with the reality of human induced climate change.
edit on 16-5-2016 by jrod because: b

edit on 16-5-2016 by jrod because: d

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join