It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Unemployed man Dies working for his Dole Money

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I Saw this Yesterday, Thought maybe someone here would have picked up on the Story.

A QUEENSLAND family is searching for answers after 18-year-old Josh Park-Fing was killed while working for the dole. Braving a tough regional jobs market, Josh was embarking on what should have been the start of his adult working life when he took a rubbish-collecting placement at the Toowoomba Showgrounds. But the Meringandan teen’s life was cruelly cut short when he fell from a trailer and suffered a fatal head injury on April 19.

Here was a young man just starting out in life only for him to lose it in such tragic circumstances. That's not the end of the Story. Apparently his life is only worth one third of the value of a "Real Employee".

Compensation payments for Work For The Dole deaths are capped at $250,000, while workers killed in paid employment attract payouts of up to $750,000 including $15,000 for funeral costs.

We have these Work for Dole/Welfare schemes here in the UK as well. The US as far as i know are introducing work for welfare also. Utterly shameful. Not only was this you man treated like a slave, once dead he is treated like a second class citizen.

Family mourns ‘larrikin’ Josh Park-Fing, killed in a tragic accident while working for the dole

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Wait ... you mean no one ever dies working in their standard jobs?

Which do you object to more: the realization that people can and do die at work or that people feel that the able-bodied ought to work for what they receive from the state?
edit on 11-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

That's so sad. Loosen reigns on corporations, export jobs, expect people to live somehow, assign a job for assistance then when you die on the job your family is told your life wasn't worth the same as someone else doing the same job.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

What do you think temp to hire contract labor is?

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Wait ... you mean no one ever dies working in their standard jobs?

Why should anyone die going to work.

Which do you object to more: the realization that people can and do die at work or that people feel that the able-bodied ought to work for what they receive from the state?

I see you are the compassionate type. Anything to add to the bit about the young man's life worth a third less than those in full time employment. ?..Oh, and people do work for the state. They are called public servants and get payed a decent living wage and generally have excellent "Safe" working conditions and good pensions when they retire...

I dont have a problem with anyone working for the state, just as long as everyone is treated the equally.
edit on 11-5-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What is your point? A worker that dies on the job is a worker that dies on the job, why should one be valued less for death benefits for the family?

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

His people must be missing him terribly.

A lad that big shouldn't be hanging onto a trailer. If he falls he'll fall hard.
He should be taking a bull by the nose, that's what his size is good for.

They always value the forced labour less in every way.

Inexperienced youngsters learn about the dangers through near misses. We've all had the near misses. Unlucky for him he has become an example.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
um so a kid made a mistake and died at work. ohhhk. so what? and you are mad that his family wont get paid as much than others? like what even? ohh no, only a quarter million dollars. how outrageous.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Kali74

What do you think temp to hire contract labor is?

In America temp agencies even take a cut of the pay you work for to pay themselves for the work you did. Go figure right, temp agencies are scum from the experience I have had with all of the ones I dealt with # em

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
50 grand if I go down
not on assistance.

At least now I know my wife wont conspire to have me whacked at work

edit on 11-5-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Working for welfare is a joke.

It takes the valued time of the person that SHOULD be dedicated to learning a skill and removes free market incentives for companies who could be doing that work for decent wages on contracts with the government.

Its slavery.

If wrte going to help people we need to do it effectively.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Can't get my head around working for welfare at all.

There's a job there that needs to be filled, it's being filled, pay the employee the standard wage in exchange for his time and services...boom he's no longer unemployed or claiming welfare.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Exactly its totally asinine.

This is more liberal logic at play.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AVoiceOfReason
um so a kid made a mistake and died at work. ohhhk. so what? and you are mad that his family wont get paid as much than others? like what even? ohh no, only a quarter million dollars. how outrageous.

Money is not the issue. The issue is the lad is valued less than everyone else doing the same job for a payed wage. I'm pretty sure his family would rather have their Son/Brother still alive than a quarter of a million Aus Dollars.

And how do you know the kid made a mistake. The report hasn't been released yet as to what exactly happened.

If anyone profited from this guys Labour it wasn't his family. knowing how these schemes work i have know doubt the Work provider and the employer made a killing from his "slave " Labour. I dont know how they can sleep at night.

Anyone Working for their dole money is in effect providing free labour for someone to profit from. It's also in effect doing away with what should be payed employment.

I wonder if people will still be in favour of these schemes if your job was axed and a "work for welfare slave" replaced YOU. And that is what is happening.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
]

Why should anyone die going to work.

Its called LIFE!

# happens people die.

What would you do wrap everyone up in bubble wrap?

Abolish all jobs that cant be done in the safety of a padded room?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

If anyone profited from this guys Labour it wasn't his family. knowing how these schemes work i have know doubt the Work provider and the employer made a killing from his "slave " Labour. I dont know how they can sleep at night.

you may have that the wrong way around, the employer nor the work provider made much from this kids labour, since it was said that he just started.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: choos

you may have that the wrong way around, the employer nor the work provider made much from this kids labour, since it was said that he just started.

The work povider would have been given a fee for placing the kid on the scheme, a lot more than the kid earned, and if the kid didn't die on the job the employer would have done ok out of it as well..

The only people who lost anything in all of this were the kid and his family and friends and whoever has to pay out the quarter of a million...I''ll give you two guesses who that will be...................The tax payer.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Its called LIFE!

# happens people die.

True.
But no-one should go to work and not come home, pretty simple really.

Perhaps we should rescind all the Health & Safety Laws, send kids back up chimneys and not give a toss because hey, # happens and who gives a #?

What would you do wrap everyone up in bubble wrap?

Not at all, but every possible precaution should be taken to ensure an employee's safety and well being.
And surely the level of danger element within a job should surely be reflected in the respective rates of pay?

In this instance the employee was receiving only his benefits.
That is a disgrace.

And then his family get told that his life is only worth a third of 'normal' employees.

Of course money shouldn't be the issue here....but it'd sure as hell make me mad as # if I was in a similar situation.

Abolish all jobs that cant be done in the safety of a padded room?

Don't be ridiculous....just make sure all possible safety precautions are in place.

Out of curiosity; what is the most dangerous job you have done because you seem to have a pretty blasé and insensitive attitude on this subject?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

This is more liberal logic at play.

What, working for benefits is a 'liberal' policy?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

But no-one should go to work and not come home, pretty simple really.

And I want a pet unicorn.

But its never going to happen.

Accidents will all way happen. People will trip and fall, fires will start and machines will break.

Perhaps we should rescind all the Health & Safety Laws, send kids back up chimneys and not give a toss because hey, # happens and who gives a #?

Of course not.

But health and saftey laws only go so far.

Accidents will still happen.

Not at all, but every possible precaution should be taken to ensure an employee's safety and well being.

But accidents will always still happen.

And surely the level of danger element within a job should surely be reflected in the respective rates of pay?

Agree

In this instance the employee was receiving only his benefits.
That is a disgrace.

Agree it was slave labour.

And then his family get told that his life is only worth a third of 'normal' employees.

Agree he should have got the full payout.

Out of curiosity; what is the most dangerous job you have done because you seem to have a pretty blasé and insensitive attitude on this subject?

Worked in a number of labs. Worse one was a cat 3 microlab and had to handle cultures of Plague, Anthrax ect

Also worked on a factory floor collecting water samples from machines so had to dodge lots of moving belts and steam jets.
I have seen freak accidents happen and accidents down to people being idiots.

edit on 12-5-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join