It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prescription Drug Epidemic is Deliberate..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
a reply to: tothetenthpower
Incidentally, what happened in 2006 to lower sales? Did another product become popular, was there a change in policy or something else?

Maybe that was around the time in which the phrase "hillbilly heroin" was commonly used to describe Oxycontin...

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: pheonix358

And one of the scariest parts that we don't realize, is that this kind of medication tends to work better on mental pain that physical pain.

So you end up treating your mental illness ( ie depression etc) with very strong, heroin like substances.

No wonder the state of affairs our country is in.

~Tenth

oxys main use is pain relief for the terminally ill.
any doctor prescribing this for anxiety or depression, should be struck off.
surprisingly no figures are given in the article as to numbers actually given this for mental illness.
also, the claim it was first used in 1989 is wildly wrong.
germans used it in 1916.
shoddy report, terrible journalism.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I can tell you I was on Adderall for 10 years. Two years ago I made a choice. My choice to flush my love away was the best choice in life I have ever made. It was also the hardest choice.

My Dr. kept upping the dose, she told the body gets used to adderall, at the end I was taking 80mg adderall IR per day and I felt like a drug addict.

I did not know how addicted I was until I quit adderall. This might help someone else so I will tell you for the first 10 days after going cold turkey I could not goto work, I felt sick in the head, I could not wake up. I had a withdrawal for 1 year. My doctor told me I should try a smaller dose.

That was the last time I saw her. Now after two years without adderall my life is great. I do not feel like a zombi anymore and my friends are back in my life.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Is very unethical, what is going on in the US with the drug manufactures, now we know why the war on drugs never worked, that is because big pharma is the larger drug pusher in the markets.

First they targeted the doctors, then the nurses, recently in my neck of the woods I had a brochure in the mail for a "seminar" on obesity, hart disease and diabetes, guess who was behind the seminar, of "awareness" big pharma.

The makers of drugs for all those conditions are now offering seminars to sell their drugs to the consumer directly.

That is out right drug selling behind health awareness.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I agree with you, it not right. The big pharma are drug dealers, pushing people to take drugs for the love of money and greed. Sure some drugs help people but not all.

I can tell you from my past 10 years adderall addiction Barr adderall tastes like candy. It starts with children who doctors say oh you have adhd here is adderall. Good pharma says let's really make kids addicted and make adderall tast like candy! Get me upset.
edit on 5 7 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5 7 2016 by Quantum12 because: Sorry my spell check is spelling adderall wrong

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

They weren't prescribing it for that, it just turned out to be a side effect of these meds.

I believe the 1989 is in regards to the pharmaceutical version which was time released as opposed to single straight dose.

The article never stated that doctors prescribed it for anxiety or depression. Doesn't look like you actually read the article.

~Tenth

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
I have been saying that for over 20 years, my thought on it is that we survived for many millennia without it, why would anybody not see that.

Amen to that!

Big Pharma = Legal Drug Dealers

They are worse than the cartels.

And the politicians who protect them are no better. It's like the old days of the mafia when they bought off judges and cops. Except now it's done right in front of us all legal-like.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

I'm sorry you went through that, but glad you came out the other side a new man. Drugs especially ones like meth aka adderall, can royally screw up your brain after a few years of use.

I asked a Dr. once what they thought about the fact that Adderall was Meth and they just stared at me with this empty blank, then passed it off quickly changing the subject.

Thanks for that, it's the kind of encouragement some people need to hear sometimes.

update: And the funny thing here is, the guy who created the term ADHD along with another colleague 'both admitted' it doesn't exist. It was made up.

time.com...
edit on 5/7/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Greetings- I got injured at work fighting 'The Drug War' (it's a crock) and one of My last cases was a heroin case. I followed it all the way back to Afghanistan. Back then, when "The Taliban" was in charge they produced 7%

en.wikipedia.org...

Then "The War" started and this ramped up production (see above chart) So it is way easier to grow opium in a war zone.

news.vice.com...

Remember the C IA doing the heroin in body bags back in the Vietnam era (to clean up ghettos)

www.mintpressnews.com...

You also have to factor in "The Pill Mills" when these closed, the 4% of legitimate ChronicPain sufferers had to find heroin..

Recap: BigPHarma™ got millions hooked on opiate pain meds. Many of these folks got "cut off" due to the misdeeds of others (diverters/doctor shoppers) so they could either buy it on the street or go the cheaper route and use Heroin.
So "They" make the $$$ in the importation. They make the $$$ in the incarceration. They cull society of 'nee'er do wells' via overdoses or incarceration.
When did "Private Prisons" pop up?

I could go on and on but it just makes me ill..

Why was Afghanistan invaded in the first place? That beetle's song "Opium fields forever or until We make enough $$$" or something like that..

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Thank you, I have never tried Meth but it is the same. Adderall is Methamphetamine.

After two years I still feel a little withdrawal. I would rather feel withdrawal feel like I am a speed racer. Adderall made my brain crazy, I always wanted more adderall. Now if someone offered me adderall I would say no way.

Addiction can be beat, you have to really want to make a change in your life for change to happen. I feel that is true with anything.

I also had a nicotine addiction. After 6 try's to quit smoking i am also nicotine free.

My friend smokes. I would never tell him to quit. You have to want to quit. He always tells me smoking is a habit! LOL, I said no it's a bad addiction. I asked him can you stop smoking, he said for sure. Two hours later he was shaking and went back to smoking. He said yes your right I am addicted to nicotine.

Yes I said but you do not need to smoke. I asked him did you smoke when you were a child. Lol

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I don't have adhd, I agree with you it was made up. Doctors see it as money! Sad😪

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Drugs are most definitely for profit. Most definitely.

It sort of has to be that way though because it's so expensive to develop - and more significantly - trial them. And to stand the cost of the failures. It's a bit ogf a misnomer that drug companies are evil though - my experience of them is mainly decent people trying to provide good solutions. And make some money.

It's worth remembering that the American model of consumer advertised drugs is unusual. In the UK, the doctor prescribes the drug, not the brand. Once something is off patent, it's down to the pharmacy to decide what you actually get. It's an identical pharmacological product though.

The biggest misnomer about pharma is that they suppress treatments for things like cancer. This isn't true at all. Human beings die, so if it's not cancer, it'll be something else. The pharma market is never ending until immortality is created. It's actually in their interest to prolong life as you'll buy more product.

The biggest ethical failing of the industry is that they have limited resources. As such, they'll prioritise creating a cure for a minor illness effecting fat kids in the West over a treatment for a fatal disease effecting the third world.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Just remeber how "locked in" these people are that take Opium derivatives, synthetic and organic.

For a great many that dont abuse them and have a good doctor the pain medications work well.

Whats quite interesting is that the major pain meds in the USA between codeine/Tramadol (organic/synthetic basic opioids) and morphine are plentiful while in the UK there is nothing. The pain scale of medications effectivness goes from 1-2 on a scale of 11, to 10. The USA has 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11. The UK manages 'okay' not having these inbetween medications.

I have round the clock pain control that varies a lot, some days i only take morning doses, other bad days i take ever 4 hours and if i bash my neck/back in a minor accident, i get a flare up of very agonising pain and im prescribed a 1-3 day prescription of morphine. Sometimes i wish we did have somthing in between because i dont like taking morphine as i do not wish for my body to adapt making my normal pain meds less effective. But i manage.

If the USA were to cut these inbetween drugs out and prescribe higher doses of the lower effective meds, the middile "high" zone of drugs would dorp drematicly - but thats bad news for region that have been liberated like afganistan - which in turn says "oh you know all those soldiers that went to war for our needs, we didnt need to do" - how would the world react? They are 'locked in' to the opium drugs trade in more ways than one. I dont see anything as an easy way out, and as everyones been saying its extra hard with the doctors prescribing things that the public is advertised to AND getting more money to push them.

All in all, a very tricky situation with a terrifying lack of commonn sense on both sides of the prescription drug game.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Where I live a couple of Dr.'s were arrested for over prescribing to the point that several people died of overdoses. My sister was one of those people. People were getting as many as 2,000 of Oxy a month. When the drs were prosecuted, it was pointed out that that many Oxys was not conducive to life. Hence a huge amount of deaths from overdose.

Many who were getting way too many pills were selling them, and got hundreds of people addicted. When the drs were busted for the problem, suddenly hundreds of addicted people turned to street Heroin for their addiction, now Anderson Ca is number 3 on the most crime in Cal list. 2 slots above Oakland. The Anderson and Redding area has one of the worst Heroin and Meth problems in California.

I know the root of our problem was created by these "Feel Good" Doctors.

Dr Fishers story: www.aapsonline.org...

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

We need to plant our own Poppies and just make tea. Its not nearly as strong, but its better than the problems with the meds. Make sure you read up on how to use it, as too much can kill you. It isnt against the law to grow poppy, but it is against the law to make it into Heroin. At least in California. Also its legal to grow Ayahausca too, you just cant use it as a drug.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I have a friend who has a seriously damaged back. The doctor had him on a super high dose of some type of liquid morphine or something. He couldnt leave his house and fell in a deep depression. He elected to see another doctor and get a written permit to grow and take mary Jane. He was able to substancially reduce the opiate use and get his life back.
My company will not honor a Dr. cert, so I just use a little brandy for my pain

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Sadly, the problem will only increase. The US has 5% of the globe's population but takes/prescribed 80% of the world's prescription opioids. There even was a commercial ran during the Super Bowl for opioid-induce constipation relief prescription medicine. It's a far-reaching epidemic. A Stanford researcher has claimed she is able to synthesize opioids from yeast - speeding up the process of constituent parts to a final drug from almost a year to a mere 5 weeks.

Opioids for The Masses

I understand the researcher's drive to provide access, but this, to me, would only exacerbate the current epidemic? Thoughts? Access trumps unintended consequences??
edit on 7-5-2016 by BeefNoMeat because: Spelling

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
I would agree with you on this, there are far too many different kinds of drugs. I haven't researched much on this one in particular but i recall reading about the ADHD drug Adderall which according to some doctors is identical to Meth.

These drugs damage the Liver and Kidneys as well as other organs including the Brain to some degree. I have even heard that Perscribed Drugs can age a person quicker than if not having took them at all.

theinfluence.org...

edm.com...

Sorry, but Adderall is not the same as meth. That is total BS and there is NO evidence, no real evidence, to support that statement. Opinions aren't controlled research studies...

Do people who abuse Adderall or those who take it who do not have ADHD get a "speed" like effect from it? Yes, they do. That's why it is prescribed and indicated for those with an actual ADHD diagnosis. It slows us down, allows those who have their minds race a million miles an hour to focus. It makes life tolerable and livable. For us, our family members and our coworkers.

Please, do not spread this total bunk BS. Thanks.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Adderal is an amphetamine, so its on the same scale as meth(amphetamine) - but you are mostly right in that it shouldnt be considered in the same way, but it does do the same thing on a much much lower end of the same scale.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I took adderall for many years, Barr adderall sped me up, Cor adderall slowed me down. After my Doctor uped my dose to 80mg IR. My life sped up and slowed down so in flushed the adderall away and sure I had one year of withdrawals.

Now after two year free from adderall my life has never been better!

Here is adderall info.

www.differencebetween.net...
edit on 5 7 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join