It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HMS Endeavour found of Rhode Island coast?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think this is pretty cool if true!
Snippet from Article:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Researchers believe they have found the ship that legendary explorer Captain James Cook used to sail to around the world submerged somewhere in Rhode Island's Newport Harbor.

The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project, which is leading the search effort, said in a statement posted on its website that it is 80 to 100 percent sure that the remains of the HMS Endeavour is among sunken wrecks off the state's coast.

Cook used the Endeavour to claim Australia for the British during his historic 1768-71 voyage.

To think the Captain Cooks Endeavour has been laying on the seabed of Newport Harbor all this time is pretty amazing really. How often it has been sailed over by who knows how many!

One more snippet:

The roughly 100-foot vessel was part of a fleet of 13 ships that the British scuttled during the Revolutionary War in 1778 to blockade Newport Harbor. It had been listed in the records under a different name, the Lord Sandwich

LINK TO ARTICLE

Anyhow, just thought I'd share for any old ship enthusiast out there

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Good find! What an odd place to find her though.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I remember reading about it when I was a kid. History come alive.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Captain Cook is a legend of the Pacific Ocean. There is a statue of him in our town that I like to go visit on particular nice days.

The US space shuttle Endeavour is named after the ship and she is depicted on the New Zealand fifty-cent coin.

Wikipedia: link

There were a few possible "finds" over the years so this is cool news!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Nice find thanks for posting the news.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I wonder if they may try and preserve some of the findings on the ship to be in a travel display like they have done with the titanic. I think it would be nicer as opposed to being in one museum somewhere. More people would have a chance to enjoy it.

From all the time I lived in Providence, I don't recall there being a major museum really. I did get a chance to go on the Russian sub though before it sunk. It was a shame they couldn't get the funds to salvage and save it. Got scrapped in 08.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Very cool! I remember going to a museum in Providence with awesome paintings and what-not. Yes, it would be nice to see some of the findings in a travel display. I love old ships, they were so well crafted and so very beautiful.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Great find.
I loved reading about how Cook started out as an apprentice on a collier brig and made his way up to captain of one of His Majesty's ships.

A real inspiration to anyone who's interested in the sea.

top topics

join