It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tsunami tragedy £billions, Iraq £nothing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
someone elaborate on this please. why has there been such a fuss over the tsunami tragedy, yet no one cares about Iraq. I didnt see many people pledging money to the Iraqi people, i didnt see many people on television having donations for the Iraqi people.
it's double standards at it's worst, we help south asia because some foreigners were there, yet we don't care about Iraq because it doesnt affect us as much. this is a world with no ethics or morals, i don't get it.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
There are many charities, at least in the U.S., that are helping the Iraqi people. Some have been set up by U.S. soldiers to get needed equipment and supplies to help the Iraqis build busineses and new learn new crafts. A great example of one is Spirit of America.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
someone elaborate on this please. why has there been such a fuss over the tsunami tragedy, yet no one cares about Iraq. I didnt see many people pledging money to the Iraqi people, i didnt see many people on television having donations for the Iraqi people.
it's double standards at it's worst, we help south asia because some foreigners were there, yet we don't care about Iraq because it doesnt affect us as much. this is a world with no ethics or morals, i don't get it.

once again the american war machine steamrolls over a less fortunate country then leaves the pieces for everyone else to pick up.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
o.k so some charities are helping...but i dont see the wip round weve had for the passed couple weeks to help the iraqis. i also don't see billions pledged to help the iraqis. i do see billions spent on killing iraqis though.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
o.k so some charities are helping...but i dont see the wip round weve had for the passed couple weeks to help the iraqis. i also don't see billions pledged to help the iraqis. i do see billions spent on killing iraqis though.

The U.S. government has earmarked billions of dollars for rebuilding Iraq, and is making great progress in the many areas that are relatively peaceful. But only the bad news in the unstable areas is what gets airtime on the news.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The U.S. government has earmarked billions of dollars for rebuilding Iraq, and is making great progress in the many areas that are relatively peaceful. But only the bad news in the unstable areas is what gets airtime on the news.

that's what the news is there for, to drive fear in to us, make us feel unsafe etc. with the tsunami all you would ever hear is, 100,000 dead alone in indonesia, 400 dead from england... just statistics.
why not show the rebuilding of iraq though? who gains from that? like you say all we hear is the bad news but i don't see people pledging money to them. you say america is helping iraq, yet i don't see them or the UK doing much to help...maybe it's the illusion of TV that has made me think that the Iraq people aren't alright when actually they're quite fine.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The Bush administration has pledged US taxpayers' money to Iraq for at least the next two generations, while the criminal cartel reaps the fast buck rewards available to invaders and pillagers.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
The Bush administration has pledged US taxpayers' money to Iraq for at least the next two generations, while the criminal cartel reaps the fast buck rewards available to invaders and pillagers.

MaskedAvatar always has a bright rosy outlook on everything! Oh, the unbridled optimism!

But it is true about TV coverage...do you think all those TV crews will be in Indonesia or Thailand reporting on the rebuilding there? Of course not, they'll be gone as soon as they're out of horrible stories and shocking videos to show.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yeah, Iraq was a natural disaster that couldn't be prevented or forseen.

150,000+ people wiped out in a week by forces beyond our control, and you compare this the the invasion of a country by a superior military power? Then you have the gall to show disgust for the world "not caring"?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
well it's because the tsunami is such a horrible tragedy and the 'fu

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
im not sayin the tsunami wasnt a tragedy, it was, but footballers from all nations didnt get together for a fun match to raise money for iraqis. i didnt see many people donating their money earnt from songs to the people of iraq. im just wondering why there wasnt more done to help people in iraq, there still isnt that much help going on in iraq.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Iraq is NOT a natural disaster. It was planned invasion.

ever heard of "you break it, you pay for it"?

well that is the Iraq situation. The govt's involved in breaking Iraq, are the ones responsible for fixing Iraq.

after the "war" is over, then humanitarian organizations can really get into the country and you'll hear the call for aid then.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
even so, it may be up to america to pay or the english government, but that still doesnt explain why people or charities don't want to help out. even if they didnt support the war helping our would be helping the iraqi people and not just getting bush and blair out of a tight spot. i just feel like more should have been done in the charitable areas.

join