It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression, the secret we share: A TED talk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Depression, the Secret We Share .... TED talk

One of my cyber friends who lives in Scandinavia posted this on her page. It is MORE than worthwhile viewing.

"The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality, and it was vitality that seemed to seep away from me in that moment."

In a talk equal parts eloquent and devastating, writer Andrew Solomon takes you to the darkest corners of his mind during the years he battled depression. That led him to an eye-opening journey across the world to interview others with depression — only to discover that, to his surprise, the more he talked, the more people wanted to tell their own stories.

There's no more text that I can c/p.

I hope you all will find it as interesting as I did.

Mr Solomon discusses the agony of depression, the various different treatments (for example, in East Africa they think going outside into the sun, and listening to music or drums, and exercising/dancing is the best thing to do; they were appalled at the Western/American approach), and the personal outcomes of people with whom he has interacted.

Depression is a real thing. This TED talk addresses the 'pharma' approach, as well as the "going into a room for an hour to talk about all the things that have upset you" approach, vs the naturopathic methods.....

What do you guys think?

Anyway - it's very interesting. Funny in parts as well. A TED talk.

Ya know.

edit on 4/17/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
'Vitality' is not something I would have expected; but if one attached 'Hope' to it does. I use music played at concert levels (have to have a good sound system); to take me out of whatever negative place I find myself. Music feeds my soul (no idea why) other than transports me out of this arena to another place.
edit on 17-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

I use music played at concert levels (have to have a good sound system); to take me out of whatever negative place I find myself. Music feeds my soul.

I know exactly what you mean!!

Do you ever listen to classical?? And 'conduct' the symphony as they play????

Or, of course, air guitar.....and air trapset drummer.....
or, just dancing and singing into a phantom mic

Anyway - check out the video when you have a half an hour to spare....I think you'll appreciate it.

I was outside from literally first-light until 9 hours later working in the yard.....being outside, hearing the birds, feeling the warm breeze, tidying up the winter leftovers.....
It was before first light that I watched this video. It's only 30 minutes.....

Anyway, thanks for reading!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

vhb: I use music played at concert levels (have to have a good sound system); to take me out of whatever negative place I find myself. Music feeds my soul.

BuzzyWigs: I know exactly what you mean!! Do you ever listen to classical?? And 'conduct' the symphony as they play???? Or, of course, air guitar.....and air trapset drummer. or, just dancing and singing into a phantom mic:

Yes I do. Classical music a favorite, Prokofiev, Stravinsky (I play the entire percussion section) when listening; gongs, bells drums. I have a problem; hear every note from the symphony in my head for at least a day afterwards (this where the conducting part comes in). How funny!

BuzzyWigs: Anyway - check out the video when you have a half an hour to spare....I think you'll appreciate it.

I will do so.

Buzzy: I was outside from literally first-light until 9 hours later working in the yard.....being outside, hearing the birds, feeling the warm breeze, tidying up the winter leftovers.....
It was before first light that I watched this video. It's only 30 minutes.....Anyway, thanks for reading

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I am on my way through a divorce and subsequent severe depression, I liked what he had to say, that's all I have to add.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

You had an epiphany? I love those...

I love them too!

Percussion section is my domain along with strings......

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Sorry you're enduring that sort of strife. Been there, three times. It sucks.
Anyway - yeah - it sucks.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
I am on my way through a divorce and subsequent severe depression, I liked what he had to say, that's all I have to add.

You listen to Stevie Ray; should help. I wanted to edit my post but will do it here; the brain is so remarkable as can relate to sound and remember every note/the layering the texturing. Vaughan is a genius.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this one, like many others I have this condition too and it can be a struggle. I also hit that place where it is too much trouble to reply to friends, just too much effort to take care of oneself, and what was the point anyway? What is real and what difference does what I do or not do make? It went much deeper than that but I don't wanna say anything else.
I really liked his perspective on tolerating it and accepting that he has it, it makes it easier to understand that it is a condition and it is possible to move forward. cyber Hugs to you all !

Eta: I agree! Music is definitely good for the soul!
Big hug for you too Tex, I know it must be awful. You are so valuable and loved, you have no idea. Please let your online friends know if we can help in any way.
edit on 17-4-2016 by Starcrossd because: (no reason given)

link   

vhb: You had an epiphany? I love those...

Buzzy: I love them too! Percussion section is my domain along with strings......

Oboes, Bassoons, French horns, Strings yes! Regarding Percussion, its got to be rhythms, 'heartbeat' sort of thing.

link   

its alright and thank you. Sometimes i wonder if its undue depression, or if it parallels life circumstances, if anyone in my position would be equally "depressed",but the only real way to judge that is consequences, and in many ways i have paid a heavy price due to depression, which only furthers the feeling. So, I am taking medication and soon I may even talk to someone and express how I feel probably cry alot lol.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

its alright and thank you. Sometimes i wonder if its undue depression, or if it parallels life circumstances, if anyone in my position would be equally "depressed",but the only real way to judge that is consequences, and in many ways i have paid a heavy price due to depression, which only furthers the feeling. So, I am taking medication and soon I may even talk to someone and express how I feel probably cry alot lol.

Divorce forces change is all. You might have planned these events before incarnating (I did) and finally realized it. This was a learning process my soul required of me to further grow into enlightenment. I cried FOUL at first but eventually came to understand it was necessary. How is your weather in your area of (TX) TX?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

RIght. And I was raised on 'classical' flute, and piano.

I feel so bad for the people who never had "music" in their lives. It's such an important dimension, such a very "human" thing....transcending all else....

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I think for me the divorce is hard because it's strange to call someone an enemy who you said "I love you" to for so many years, the dreams we had destroyed, she cheated and left me and now has essentially tried to replace me, even worse I can't divorce her yet in Texas because the law says if she's pregnant regardless of paternity I must wait until the child is born, (this isn't my child it's hers and her boyfriends whom she tells my children she's now married to, saddest part is my daughter asks me if I am sad, and what a wedding is.) so I work, and I come home and I use the Internet, I hermit myself I am very socially stunted, sometimes in the evening silence is all I listen to for hours, the hardest part is before bed thinking about all the things that could of been different, watching the ceiling fan in its endless rotation. Yes, indeed I very much am depressed. Outside of all that my life has improved I went and got on medication which I'm still trying to get right( and I am going to seek counseling. Enough of all that though, I enjoyed the thread and the TED talk, the weather here is soggy my friend, it fits the mood.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Buzzy: Sorry you're enduring that sort of strife. Been there, three times. It sucks.
Anyway - yeah - it sucks.

The betrayal of a trust or imagined bond. Horrible (did I even know this person)? I do believe one plans this to happen, wrote the script and told all higher selves to NOT GIVE IT AWAY, the potential outcome of relationships. My higher being told me this after all done, "We cried many tears for your circumstances; our hands were tied as you ORDERED us to not interfere".

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Buzzy: RIght. And I was raised on 'classical' flute, and piano.
I feel so bad for the people who never had "music" in their lives. It's such an important dimension, such a very "human" thing....transcending all else....

In my family, the Piano, Cello, Viola, Baritone, B-flat Flute, Tuba!! and Ukelele!!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A big part is that when we think sad things, we feel sad. When we feel sad, we think MORE sad things. It becomes a negative feeback loop, and snowballs.

Just watching the words you use, and trying to replace negative words with positive ones can get one jump started out of that negative loop. When we frame the world with words that are more positive, we feel more positive, and the negative cycle can slow or even reverse.

A lot of the time with depression, perspective is often lost. When hope seems lost, it can be hard to have a clear perspective of the actual situation someone is in.

I guess I'm pretty much just describing CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. *shrug*

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

TX: I think for me the divorce is hard because it's strange to call someone an enemy who you said "I love you" to for so many years, the dreams we had destroyed, she cheated and left me and now has essentially tried to replace me, even worse I can't divorce her yet in Texas because the law says if she's pregnant regardless of paternity I must wait until the child is born, (this isn't my child it's hers and her boyfriends whom she tells my children she's now married to, saddest part is my daughter asks me if I am sad, and what a wedding is.) so I work, and I come home and I use the Internet, I hermit myself I am very socially stunted, sometimes in the evening silence is all I listen to for hours, the hardest part is before bed thinking about all the things that could of been different, watching the ceiling fan in its endless rotation. Yes, indeed I very much am depressed. Outside of all that my life has improved I went and got on medication which I'm still trying to get right( and I am going to seek counseling. Enough of all that though, I enjoyed the thread and the TED talk, the weather here is soggy my friend, it fits the mood.

I had a similar thing; owned a business. Unfortunately hired a person that was a predator, mashed on the Chef (failed) and then turned sights to my s/o and had a long time affair with. I should have known by finding a credit card bill with both names on it; the bill contained hotel room rentals. Finding "Rid Lice" in the bathroom should have clued me in. I was so trusting. This person had a plan to insert itself and eventually replace me. This was a person who graduated High School by the seat of the pants. The divorce cost me a business I started and 10 years of history. It is good to speak of such things. Soggy is better than flooding!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I guess I'm pretty much just describing CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. *shrug*

Yes! Practicing reframing things is a very important skill....and being patient while it 'sinks in' is also paramount.

Some people frown on the "Fake it 'Til You Make It" method - but, practicing is, indeed, what leads to mastery - just like with musical instruments (nice segue from vhb's participation, eh?).

Thinking about positives rather than focusing on negatives is a very productive activity.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Ack I'm so sorry you're having to endure that, man.

And, you should absolutely, definitely "talk to someone", and cry - there's no shame in doing that.
Don't expect the meds to do all the work or the whole trick - you need to process the situation, at whatever pace you feel you can manage it.

It's like a grief process - it takes however long it takes....but you gotta face it head on....
and if that's too scary, talk to someone about how to get to a place where you can face it. Doesn't have to be today or tomorrow.

I'll be thinking of you this evening....just remember this will pass. And keep swimming.

edit on 4/17/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join