It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Political Correctness is synonymous with respect”, and other fatuities.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I agree. That is up to the boss - right? How much power does language have over us?

It only has as much power as we give it.

This sort of thing is wrong no matter what direction it comes from. I'm sure you can see how your situation is not that different from that of members of the LGBT community, or atheists, or...it's quite a list actually

My sister lives in rural-ish Texas - she's an atheist. She has felt quite a bit of push from the religious right down there - and she's conservative

Of course I do. And I don't think the ostracism, denial of employment, etc is appropriate. This is what I'm saying, everything is so political. We don't just disagree with others, we demonize them. In the current climate, you're not just wrong for not agreeing with certain views, you're evil incarnate.

I may disagree with some things LGBTQ or atheists believe about life...but that's far removed from hating them or wishing them harm. As for Christians who behave cruelly to others, I'd recommend spending that energy on their knees in prayers of repentance and begging for help developing a more loving heart. If people really want to convince others their way is better, showing is far better than telling.

That mob leans in both directions. Do black lives matter?

It's always been with us - at one time people lost their jobs because they were communists, or because they might be communists. People were killed because they might be witches

The internet is still better than pillories, fire, stoning or nooses. Human nature - go figure

It's on both sides. And it's wrong, whoever is doing it. There's this real spirit of irrational rage and hypersensitivity.

Although it's been abused as a statement, I'd say all lives matter. The people I disagree with and people of all colors, creeds, etc. You can't champion one without championing the rest.

It is better than pitchforks, fire, etc. Still, I can't help wishing people would chill out and just talk to each other civilly.

Jon Ronson did an interesting talk on this.

I don't think the answer is new laws against speech, though. I think we need to work together to create a sea change in the culture. The best way to do that is to make a conscious effort on an individual level to speak civilly as often as possible, to hold firm (peacefully) to one's own convictions even if other people don't like them, and apologize when one fails to be civil.

Also, communities need to reconnect, face to face. We need to get to know our human neighbors and stop hiding behind screens.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SisterDelirium

Still, I can't help wishing people would chill out and just talk to each other civilly.

:-)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Here’s some advice: go try it out.

I wasn't asking for your advice

But I got what I was after

Thank you

:-)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

The problem with free speech, isn't that the speech is free, it's the character of the people in the society where it is free.

When people make laws regarding speech, though, they fall for the insane fantasy that the government (or some other entity) has the BEST character and is the MOST qualified to make decisions about what should and should not be said.

It's a responsibility problem. If people take responsibility for themselves, rather than spending so much time trying to take responsibility from others, life gets better.

If companies stop firing people because of angry mobs on twitter, etc. that strikes a big blow. It takes the power out of it. It says, yes the mob is shouting, but we don't have to do anything just because people shout.

Every behavior has an end goal. When the end goal can't be achieved with the behavior, it goes away.

To me, this is no different that a society filled (left and right and center) with infantile, tantruming people who want their way. The grown-up response isn't to change the laws, it's to simply disengage from this kind of activity.

As an example, the Kardashians exist because there's a market for what they're selling. Ignore them and they shrink away back into the shadows whence they came. The same goes for offensive programming, music, etc.

I vote with my attention. And the behavior of the only person I can reasonably expect to control--myself.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join