It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Political Correctness is synonymous with respect”, and other fatuities.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Whining usually means people who disagree with your opinion. I'm not even conservative and I'm all about fighting back against SJWs who shut down free speech and play the victim for anything and everything.

using buzzwords like bigot, privilege, racist etc to shut down arguments to people who have valid points and just simply disagree. The progressive(regressive) left is just has crazy and closed minded as the far right

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, it is language manipulation, plain and simple. It is a way to make up eupemisms that are just close enough to the original term that they are almost synonymous but far enough away that they can subtly shape public perception and thought.

I agree. I personally cannot stand the term, "minorities," in reference to ethnicity based on your reasoning because, it too unconsciously shapes public perception based on what it implies. I personally find it politically incorrect to do so. However, I do not forcibly object when it is used. I'm aware those who use the term do so out of conditioning without much thought - it is only semantics.

Think undocumented worker being used for illegal alien. The terms are used synonymously, but the former conjures up a far different mental image than the latter.

I often wonder how many of us within our own minds, or expressed outwardly in a discussion, have referred to themselves as "majority" within the same context "minority" is often used?

Again, I will not tell someone it is politically incorrect to use the term "minority" despite how I feel about the word used within that context. Most people use the term without malicious intent despite the mental image it may unconsciously conjure.

It's as much about you and your emotions as it is anyone else's when it comes to this.

I agree. Well stated.

edit on 17-4-2016 by Involutionist because: Grammar and punctuation SUCKS!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The concept of the euphemism treadmill comes to mind here. I agree we're being manipulated, but to some extent, it will never work. The underlying physical realities never go away.

Living in a border state, there's definitely a strain on resources in some areas as a result of people coming in "without papers", so-to-speak. People who are here, let's say, "legally" on a certain economic rung who end up forced to compete with people who are just kind of "crashed the party" aren't going to feel very happy about that. Their physical reality is one of over-crowded hospitals, longer lines at economic service buildings, and schools with higher student-teacher ratios forced to change curriculum to meet the needs of ESL students who often have fluctuating attendance as a result of being part of migrant worker families.

You can call them undocumented, you can call them illegal, you can call them uninvited northbound hikers, or whatever you like. In the end there is a class of people who feels they're being pushed off their rung on the ladder by another group which, to them, looks homogeneous.

So, I guess, the further you are away from immigration having an impact on your physical reality, the more likely you're going to be emotionally swayed by certain language. In truth, people of a certain economic class just see an enemy, will listen to the flowery language and laugh ...all while their seething hatred of these perceived "usurpers" grows.

The real culprits in all this are the people who benefit from the situation: the people who get cheap labor and like it. The "illegals" are being exploited, the lower-class citizens are struggling (not necessarily because of immigrants, but they may end up feeling that way), and the only ones happy about it are the moneyed classes who have everything to gain and nothing to lose from cheap labor and a divided society.

Euphemisms only work to an extent. It's all manipulation, though. We're all being played against each other, really.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
“Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of # by the clean end!”

-Harry Truman

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Not to get too off topic, but practically every post you've made, I've agreed with. And I get accused of being a right wing conservative all the time.

ha

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Political incorrectness is based on the truth.

Political correctness is based on disguising and/or preventing the truth from hurting feelings.

The truth remains either way.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: gator2001

Agreed ... somewhat.

PC seeks to disguise the truth of how others think/feel about some people/things.

These feelings may be true or untrue, in an objective way.

The biggest problem with rampant PC thought policing is that what other people think/feel is not your business.

Part of being an adult is learning to understand that people sometimes don't like everything about you, or even you in anyway...and that's really not worth worrying about.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Right wingers are just as likely to play the pc outrage card as the lefties, especially when it comes to their favourite subjects of gun control, abortion the bundy bunch and The Donald
Having made a few posts against the Donald, I have never received so many replies by outraged members on any other subject in my history of being an ATS members. It's like I've attacked a religious figure head

edit on 18-4-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

If some angry replies to some posts constitutes "PC outrage", then you have it pretty easy, are too sensitive, or should get out more.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Its ok to be against this new regressive political correctness swarming into the west. it is against all sides here..stop demanding its a right wing thing. I see anyone defending the nPC culture to be so far to the left it horseshoed to the extreme right position, just with different targets.

Exactly right. This is something right and left can and should come together on. The puritans of today are no different than the puritans of yesterday.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I think there's a difference between being irritated by something someone said and responding to that irritation...and declaring that the irritating thought or expression should somehow be banned, muzzled or outlawed.

I have the right to be offended and say me peace or walk away. I don't have the right to shut other people up.

It just seems reasonable to be against thought-policing others. And really, that's something all sides probably should agree on, because the right to your own opinion is a fundamental part of American freedom.

You don't have a right to have others like the opinion or to necessarily have a platform to shout it far and wide.... but you do have the right to have the opinion and state it.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SisterDelirium

As has been effectively argued for hundreds of years, freedom of speech is the basis of a free society. It is found in nearly every constitution of every democratic society, and every declaration of human rights for very good reasons. Sadly, we get this superstitious and emotionally-based treatment of words and speech, which turns into a specious excuse to act maliciously or even violently to those that speak it. It's hate disguised as love, and narcissism disguised as compassion.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Knowing full-well that there never was a time when the "good old days" existed... I do wish present-day Western society would try controlling their passions a little. Emotional regulation appears to be really lacking.

This is true, even among people who claim to be "perfectly rational" (a state which no human could possibly claim without a tongue firmly placed in their cheek).

Bradbury, Orwell and Huxley... they each nailed it in their own way.

The echo-chambers people so often set up for themselves within our increasingly disconnected culture doesn't help. It gets easier and easier to wrap oneself in a bubble of like-minded sentiments without challenge...leading to the feeling that what is agreeable to an individual's taste/preference/life-choices = good and what is not agreeable to an individual taste/preference/life-choices= bad.

Of course, it's kind of darkly comedic that all this comes, as you point out, under the heading of things like love, tolerance and compassion.

edit on 18-4-2016 by SisterDelirium because: the internet dog at part of my comment...bad doggie

edit on 18-4-2016 by SisterDelirium because: Very bad doggie...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SisterDelirium

Freedom of speech is always annoying to someone

The echo-chambers people so often set up for themselves within our increasingly disconnected culture doesn't help. It gets easier and easier to wrap oneself in a bubble of like-minded sentiments without challenge...leading to the feeling that what is agreeable to an individual's taste/preference/life-choices = good and what is not agreeable to an individual taste/preference/life-choices= bad.

Of course, it's kind of darkly comedic that all this comes, as you point out, under the heading of things like love, tolerance and compassion.

Do you think it's possible for people to use their powers of discernment and discard that which is abusive, then go on to keep what's useful?

Or are we now about to double down on all of it, throw the baby out with the bathwater - and buy into the ant-PC movement? Should we get all comfy cozy in our brand new echo chamber?

We're being bullied at the movement into not speaking out against what we believe is wrong. The form this takes is - you guessed it - speaking out against what we believe is wrong

I give people more credit than that. The nonsense part of political correctness will all come out in the wash eventually

In the meantime - I'm on the side of love, tolerance and compassion. Even when mistakes are made

edit on 4/19/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: stuff

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

If some angry replies to some posts constitutes "PC outrage", then you have it pretty easy, are too sensitive, or should get out more.

Now you're just trolling

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

In the meantime - I'm on the side of love, tolerance and compassion. Even when mistakes are made

There is no love, tolerance nor compassion in political correctness, even when mistakes are made. From what I can gather from your tolerant posts, You're on the wrong side.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

There is no love, tolerance nor compassion in political correctness, even when mistakes are made. From what I can gather from your tolerant posts, You're on the wrong side.

:-)

What is this?!

You really don't have anything left to say - do you?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Do you think it's possible for people to use their powers of discernment and discard that which is abusive, then go on to keep what's useful?

Of course people should do this. At the same time, trying to force them to is another matter entirely. Also, what is abusive to one mind may not be to another. Words don't interest me that much, but actions, that's different. Should we guard our words? YES Can we police the words of others? NOPE.

We're being bullied at the movement into not speaking out against what we believe is wrong. The form this takes is - you guessed it - speaking out against what we believe is wrong

Speaking out against is fine. Taking legal action against others over words or trying to force people to shut up, is not.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

:-)

What is this?!

You really don't have anything left to say - do you?

I have plenty to say. I just don't think you want to hear it.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Laz sez, Political Correctness means that I am barred from calling ____________ out on his/her evil agenda.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join