It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.8 just hit Ecuador

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Hello everybody, I need some help. My friends have family in the affected areas and they couldn't contact them, they are trying since yesterday. Maybe someone in the area can help?

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: JimNasium

T'was sheer sarcasm my friend. On a serious note when it is going down Hollywood shouldn't get the evacuate message.

No, I get it and I apologize but in My defense I did type "could"... I was born there in Napa and worked for a police dept. My son still lives there. Many of My friends still try to survive there and if'n TheRepublic did make the full descent as opposed to just circling the drain, then ALL of My police disability retirement check would be delayed and not just having $1207/month taken out for "Affordable Healthcare"..

To show there are no hard feelings on this end... Did You know that Reno is farther West than Los Angeles?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Hello everybody, I need some help. My friends have family in the affected areas and they couldn't contact them, they are trying since yesterday. Maybe someone in the area can help?

Thanks.

That must be terrifying. Hopefully someone can help.

side note - These kind of quakes....seem to be happening a LOT more frequently.. or is it just because we hear about them more? I don't know the stats but it's not looking good.

We truly are at the mercy of Mother Nature.... it's easy to forget sometimes.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

Absolutely good points you raise there.

I was watching a live stream by a guy in the quake zone a couple of days ago and he and his friends/other tenants spent a long time standing outside unable to decide what to do and where to go, but they do actually have a lot of open space in their region.

There seemed to be a complete lack of planning on his part, which I found quite surprising given that Japan is one of the most active regions on Earth. You would think that a person living there would be a little more sensible about their plans for something that's highly likely to happen several times in their lifetime.

I agree that in a city like Tokyo it's going to be hell of a lot harder to find a place to go away from risky structures, but many towns and smaller cities in Japan have great outdoor spaces. Admittedly there's a larger risk of landslides because so much of the country is mountainous, but there are a lot of parks and waterways they could use for temporary safety, indeed he was talking about heading to the river, and then went to join others in a park.

There's also the cultural aspect of your surroundings too. If this happened in California you would surely have considerable looting, whereas in Tokyo you wouldn't. It's an entirely different culture with entirely different attitudes. People in Japan are more respectful of each other and their surroundings, and they rely on each other in times of crisis in ways other people just don't.

There's only one time when I've genuinely considered my "bug out plan" from my city here in the UK, and that was during the spreading riots a few years ago. We're not hit by quakes, flooding, or any really bad weather other than a significant storm maybe once every five years, but during the riots the unrest was spreading quickly and I knew that it had the potential to reach a point where services would be stretched beyond breaking.

That brings me to one of the biggest issues I see in events like this, and of emergencies of all kinds - people seem to believe that because we have emergency services they will come to the rescue. It's just not plausible to believe that. The manpower and the infrastructure is just not there for events over and above a certain scale.

Being caught in a car crash is not the same as the whole country, a city, or even a small town being hit by a disaster. When that happens there is simply not enough help and response to go around.

IMO, people have become complacent, they seem to think there is a Firefighter, an EMT and a police officer for every ten people in a community, when it's more like one for every 20,000. Even then, the facilities are not there to make those individuals useful to you.

People need to become far more self-reliant in these situations. If you live in an area prone to a specific kind of emergency, you need to have that in your mind and have a plan in place to maximize your chances of surviving it without any help from others.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
side note - These kind of quakes....seem to be happening a LOT more frequently.. or is it just because we hear about them more? I don't know the stats but it's not looking good.

I don't think it is simply down to awareness in this instance. We've had the ability to monitor EQ activity for decades and I have certainly never seen it this busy over such a short time. I don't recall any period in my near 40 years where there's been this much activity, this severe, in such a small window of time.

It could just be that this is all coincidence, but something tells me there's a scientific explanation connecting these events, either something us laymen don't know, or something the scientific community is not that aware of.

I keep coming back to the logic of everything being connected. With live in a balanced ecosystem and we know that a storm in one region affects the weather in another, so I don't think it's any stretch to believe that a considerable quake in one area might trigger another event somewhere else.

This is why I'm thinking about what might happen in North America over the coming days and weeks. If the Japan quake has changed the pressure along the ring of fire, and this has triggered an increase in activity in Alaska and caused the quake in Ecuador, what does that mean for North America?

If I lived on the West coast right now I would be prepared, no harm in preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The Central Valley of California supplies more crops to the US than anywhere else. Where do you live that is so special? Also, would you really want to see Steph Curry possibly get injured

a reply to: Vector99

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Hey all!!!!

Could we PLEASE keep to discussing the EQ in Ecuador and not all the other derailing stuff?
Thanks

Please stay on topic.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

edit on Sun Apr 17 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

my daughter is in quito ecuator. had no problem getting a hold of her, thank god. she said if felt like 10 minutes of shaking. no damage that she could see but they closed everything down.

hope your friends connect with family soon!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Important Update 15:10 UTC :

The President of Ecuador has just reported that the number of fatalities increased to 233 !

Other parts in the tweet of the President:

Most affected city is Manta (suburb Tarqui)

Pedernales almost completely destroyed

Source

Sending regards, stay safe and hope members looking for contacts are successful.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Thanks.

So sorry to hear please keep the site updated. In the meantime if no luck, maybe contact rescue teams such as;

Venezuela deploys rescue teams to aid in aftermath of Ecuador's quake.

teleSUR-English version

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I was looking at the ring of fire after the japan one and saw that there were a ot of quakes along the South American Coastline and was thinking that it didn't ook good and probably a big one will go off soon in that area and lo and behold what happens the next day? Equador Quake!

Wonder if there will be a bigger one?

And hope people can escape it.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
A link that I copied on my PC a while ago.
seismo.info...

So if I'm reading this right they been forecasting a Mag 8+ between Apr.10-20 and they are forecasting a mag 7+ and/or mag 9+ between apr.20-24?
I don't know what these forecasts are based on (other than astronomical alignements) but it looks like they called the most recent Eq's more or less so they could be up to something.
edit on 17-4-2016 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2016 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thank you for those replies. Just talked with my friends, some dramatic news. They finally contacted their family. All alive but their aunt's house collapsed, aunt's daughter was trapped inside, under the destroyed home. She got rescued. Thank you God.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
woah. I knew it. That harbinger quake foretold it out on the east pacific rise a couple days ago.

Interesting theory.

The other thing that happened recently is that lunar perigee and the new moon occured on the same day in April. It will occur on the same day in May. Then not again until next year.

The day before or a couple of days before the Japan Tsunami there was a massive earth directed solar flare.
edit on 17-4-2016 by Miracula2 because: added last sentence

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

You keep posting this old thread as it was debunking anything. Sunspot number entry is bogus. Most sunspots are insignificant.
Solar activity, including flares, follows the 11 year solar cycle. Earthquake activity shows no correlation with the solar cycle.

What about coronal holes, interplanetary magnetic field, changes and peaks in polarity?
What about them? They also follow the 11 year solar cycle.

Without the sun there would be no weather and no earthquakes.
No weather? Well, certainly not like what we currently see. No Earthquakes? Not sure how you can make a claim like that.
But yes, without the Sun there would certainly not be a lot of things. No daytime. No humans. For example.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
just terrible. i hope everyone can climb back from that

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Was this a foreshock?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I feel I have just been warned to stay on topic so I'll only say that if you invested just first 4,30 minutes into the 17 min. user friendly vid you couldn't use another bogus argument about 11-year cycle (ever again). Give the man a few days and you may find a new objective for your brain. But alas, if your goal is debunking you won't be able to learn and find anything new. It's a hard task to re-cook a cooked meal. How can you find any correlation when you are looking for no-correlation?.
edit on 18/4/2016 by PapagiorgioCZ because: filled out

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

We won't know if it was the "big eq" or a foreshock til after some time has passed and a larger eq has not occurred.

Japan's 6.1 of last week WAS infact a FOREshock to the 7.3 that occurred about 34 hours later.

Time will tell.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Looking over the back data we've had a string of large 4.5+ quakes all over for the past week. The 7.8 is the highest so far.

What I worrier me more is how silent the US West coast has been for a while. The hardest it's seen has been a 4.6 in the past 30 days. If you go further south there has been 5.5. But that fault line has been pretty still for a few year now.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join