It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to tell if your overweight because of genes/medication or your just fat cause you eat.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
After the last few threads I want to weigh in.

I,m pissed off with those saying there is no excuse to be even slightly overweight and not ripped with a 6 pack and I’m sick of really obese people using "genes" and medication as excuse for the fact they are so fat they cant even walk.

So here my story.

I’m 6ft 2" and 240 pounds. I’m heavy set anyway and quite broad but my doctor says 20-30 lbs overweight.
I’m on two vital medications (I cant and don’t want to change) that cause weight gain. And that is a medical fact.

My doctor is not concerned as my blood works are of a healthy 28 year old and show no sign of high fat cholesterol or diabetes. I excise 5 times a week and have balanced diet of 2000-2500 cals a day.

To be fair I don’t really give a #. Its not going to kill me, my diets apparently fine and my blood works fine. Im just concentrating on not putting any more weight on. So I really don’t see why other people should care.

As for telling if your overweight because of external factors or fat because of your eating/exercise issues here is my take.

If your over 50lbs overweight you likely have a problem.

If your blood work shows high cholesterol/fats you likely have a problem

If you have diabetes you likely have a problem.

If your so fat you cant walk on your own or cant walk up a flight of steps you likely have a problem.

If you are reading this with a burger in your hand or a bar of chocolate you likely have a problem.

edit on 11-4-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I'd type an angry response but I can't lean forward that long.

So I'll just use my typing stick as I eat a hot pocket.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'd type an angry response but I can't lean forward that long.

So I'll just use my typing stick as I eat a hot pocket.

Dont strain to heart and get a heart attack

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Six two and 240 pounds eh, Starting to regret some of the comments I have made in past threads now, always had you a skinny little guy like me...

As to the weight does working in an office environment add to the problem? A mate of mine was sat behind a desk all day eating biscuits and got really fat, he was falling asleep because his body could not keep him awake at one point.

He swapped to a more manual job and although he is still big the weight dropped and he is a lot healthier now.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Its simple really, unless you have a thyroid problem. If you take in more calories than you use then you will deposit those calories as fat. Simple as that. I don't wont to hear any excuse because that is all it is, excuses.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Another thread in very poor taste. Let sleeping dogs lie.

No one has any business telling others why they are overweight. It is presumptuous to dictate to others how best to manage this problem.

All you've done by starting this thread is to provide yet another platform to bash people already ostracized by society.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

Its simple really, unless you have a thyroid problem. If you take in more calories than you use then you will deposit those calories as fat. Simple as that. I don't wont to hear any excuse because that is all it is, excuses.

Sorry but it is DOCUMENTED medical FACT that two of the tablets I am on DO make you put on weight.

That not a excuse but FACT,

I put on 30 pounds. When I saw that I adjusted my diet and exercise and now my weight is stable.

I am only 30 pounds overweight and not 400lbs and cant support my own weight.

I can run, excerise and my blood work is of a normal healthy person (if I had a # diet it would show).

My doctor does not see any impact to my health as long as I dont gain more weight and my blood work stays fine.

So whats the problem?

edit on 11-4-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Another thread in very poor taste.

So what...

apparently some people are obsessed with food and reap the consequences. Poor taste eh?

amusing reference....

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Another thread in very poor taste. Let sleeping dogs lie.

No one has any business telling others why they are overweight. It is presumptuous to dictate to others how best to manage this problem.

All you've done by starting this thread is to provide yet another platform to bash people already ostracized by society.

Not sure where I have personally attacked any members.

If your 400lbs and happy good on you.

Just dont claim its down to anything but over eating and under exercising.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I too am on a medication that creates the perfect situation for weight gain. I'm 5'7" and about 12stone (170 pounds) I was 8 stone till I hit 20 and discovered Guinness.

Genetically I was built to be large, big chest and shoulders and all that. But I'm starting to think I need to shed a bit weight.

I don't live healthy. It's the biggest problem kicking around really. People need to live healthier, excercise, good food and WATER.

People tend to mix water with something before it's drunk, it's no wonder obesity and diabetes is rife. I can't complain because I'm the same.

I here my liver and kidneys argue about who is most screwed over by that Irn Brew drinking nutter... They are still bitching about that bottle of sambuca I polished off Sunday.

I'll end up a lazy lout with gout at this rate

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
My brother's cholesterol level was 600+. He was not fat. He died at 53.

My entire family is genetically predisposed to high cholesterol levels.

At least do your medical research before you spout your ignorant crap.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Its not irreversible at this stage.

Your only a few stone overweight.

Just make small changes and cut some of the crap out and get more active.

Aim to stabilize your weight and don’t go higher.

If you want to go down in weight? Well go for a diet now as if you leave it will get harder.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I recall many years ago, some fitness expert was on one of the morning shows. The host asked. How do you get in shape? The expert said:

"In shape to do what?"

He then went on to explain that there were all types of fitness. And they didn't all equal health.

As for the OP, by the book, you are about twenty pounds overweight. But if your health is fine. And you feel comfortable doing everything you want to do. It shouldn't be a problem.

Most experts will tell you weight loss is about firing up your metabolism. And you have to find the foods and exercises that help you achieve. In general, that means resistance training rather than cardio. And increasing your protein to carb ratio. Going too low on carbs, however, will effect your mood. And may make it hard to stick to a program. But every person is different. What works for one person, might not work for another. And, as always, give your doctor a buzz before changing your diet or exercise regimen.
edit on 11-4-2016 by Moresby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

My brother's cholesterol level was 600+. He was not fat. He died at 53.

My entire family is genetically predisposed to high cholesterol levels.

At least do your medical research before you spout your ignorant crap.

Someone has there panties in a twist.

Hit a nerve?

If you had reading comprehension you would notice I didn’t say high cholesterol on its own means you eat to much.
It is Just one of a few factors to tell if your extra pounds is down to bad diet.

You’re the only one getting angry and aggressive on this thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Close, but no cigar...

The TYPE of calories consumed is paramount. Drop the sugar & refined carbs. They up the body's insulin production which is the 'fat-storing' hormone. Go low carb, and get most of those carbs from healthy veggies. The excess weight will begin to fall off. I've lost almost nine pounds since March 11th. It is not the fat you eat that makes you fat. It is the sugar & refined carbs.

...and also what crazywok said about some medications. Totally true.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Yes, I'm angry. Why? Because you, and others here, seem to think you have all the answers for what ails other people.

You don't and you're too arrogant to admit the fact.

Are any of you doctors? I doubt it.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Sorry but it is DOCUMENTED medical FACT that two of the tablets I am on DO make you put on weight.

That not a excuse but FACT,

I put on 30 pounds. When I saw that I adjusted my diet and exercise and now my weight is stable.

I am only 30 pounds overweight and not 400lbs and cant support my own weight.

I can run, excerise and my blood work is of a normal healthy person (if I had a # diet it would show).

My doctor does not see any impact to my health as long as I dont gain more weight and my blood work stays fine.

So whats the problem?

Not sure what the problem is, I didn't make this thread you did.

What are the pills? I don't see you mention them anywhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I'm comfortable at 11-12 stone, if you saw me 5-6 years ago you'd agree...I coukdn't put weight on.

Tbh my body got all screwed up after a bad case of sunstroke and I'm still trying to find my middle ground so to speak. Thyroid issues and diabetes runs in the family too so it's something I have to keep an eye on.

You're right though, keep active and slowly adapt diet to be healthier.

Even a brisk walk daily for five minutes does wonders for your body. People forget about how good a little bit of burned adrenaline is for you.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

Prozac

Its pretty well known it can cause 10-20 lbs which they think is down to some minor metabolism changes.

Anything more than that likely due to the side effect of overeating.

After I changed my diet and cut some crap out I went down 20lsb from 260 to 240 My weight stabilized years ago. So think I’m just fighting against my metabolism now.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Long as your happy and the inside of you is healthy then I dont see a problem.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join