It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to tell if your overweight because of genes/medication or your just fat cause you eat.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The fat is a symptom of the problem, not the problem. Beisdes genetic disposition and eating for eating sake. many people with eating disorders have deeper problems associated with their emotions, living in denial, unable to cope, past trauma, etc..

They used food as an addict uses other drugs to escape. Escape is become a modern art form. There are many forms of addiction.

What are you obsessed with earthling? What do you 'worry' about?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
DP
edit on 11-4-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The fat is a symptom of the problem, not the problem. Beisdes genetic disposition and eating for eating sake. many people with eating disorders have deeper problems associated with their emotions, living in denial, unable to cope, past trauma, etc..

They used food as an addict uses other drugs to escape. Escape is become a modern art form. There are many forms of addiction.

What are you obsessed with earthling? What do you 'worry' about?

Now that’s a whole different ball game.

And your sight some people are obese because of past traumas.

But in that instance food is still the factor.

Food is still what caused the weight gain.

And in this instance I would call it a psychological eating disorder.

And one should not judge someone based on that your right.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo
a reply to: crazyewok

Its simple really, unless you have a thyroid problem. If you take in more calories than you use then you will deposit those calories as fat. Simple as that. I don't wont to hear any excuse because that is all it is, excuses.

It's not that cut and dry, not by a long shot.

A tonne of medical conditions create weight gain not just thyroid issues. Then there is people with water retention issues, that in itself creates weight gain and other issues.

Medication is a big problem too.

One of the medications I was on recently caused water retention and a whole other list of side effects. Sometimes people go overweight due to a knock on effect due to drugs they need or one issue evolvss into effecting other vital cogs the body needs to operate effectively.

Some people are greedy it's true and bad things tend to taste the best but it's also true many people are overweight due to medical reasons

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Its simple really, unless you have a thyroid problem. If you take in more calories than you use then you will deposit those calories as fat. Simple as that. I don't wont to hear any excuse because that is all it is, excuses.

It's not that cut and dry, not by a long shot.

A tonne of medical conditions create weight gain not just thyroid issues. Then there is people with water retention issues, that in itself creates weight gain and other issues.

Medication is a big problem too.

One of the medications I was on recently caused water retention and a whole other list of side effects. Sometimes people go overweight due to a knock on effect due to drugs they need or one issue evolvss into effecting other vital cogs the body needs to operate effectively.

Some people are greedy it's true and bad things tend to taste the best but it's also true many people are overweight due to medical reasons

The abundance of food and the amount of sugar, in particular fructose does not help.

Anyone with weight issues should try and cut out fructose and simple carbohydrates and see what happens.

I'm not a doctor but I tell you now it works and for very simple reasons.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Proceeded sugar was the first thing I ditched.

Though never had a sweet tooth to begin with.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Proceeded sugar was the first thing I ditched.

Though never had a sweet tooth to begin with.

it's not just processed sugar that is the issue, it's to do with the way that the body uses fructose so a lot of people are eating fruit thinking it is good for them and they are in fact just filling themselves full of fructose which the body stores as fat for a lean winter that never arrives now.

Mrsnonspecific cut out fructose and simple carbs and ate cheese meat eggs fish, real butter, bacon you name it and just by dropping the carbs and fructose lost 4 pounds a week and still stuffed herself.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Got to be careful.

That will work with some people but not others.

You still have to eat some fruit.

In my case I have a hard time disgusting certain vegetables, complex carbs and Trans fats.
So I have to get a lot of my vital vitamins from fruit.

Other people might be the otherway around.

Best to consult a medical expert on such a diet change to be honnest to find out what works and doesnt.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

The body doesn't like stuff it has to work hard to absolve. Keep filling yourself with that stuff and the body begins to give one way or the other.

My body doesn't do well with milk. I cut milk out. My digestive system has been grateful over all. Sometimes it is that simple.

That being said medication can be a cause, a tablet I was on my body couldn't flush properly. it caused vision problems, headaches worse than migraines and water retention.

Now it's a case of knowing what the meds did but finding out why.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Green vegetables, certain long chain carbs like pasta and Trans fats rip my gut up like a chainsaw.

Pain in the asre (literally!) with vegetables as I like broccoli but helps keep me away from the processed fat foods as I know I will suffer!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Wish I had advice to give you lol.

Spicy food used to destroy me till I realised it was mainly because I am dehydrated a lot and never notice.

Now I make sure I'm hydrated before say a Vindaloo and I swear I've never had the ring of fire when I've eaten hydrated.

On the other hand if I eat slightly spiced food when dehydrated it....well, makes me wish I didn't

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

And one should not judge someone based on that your right.

Sorry, that last part was directed at members in general, not you specifically. You sound like you have it under control.

Thats easier when you are younger.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

Close, but no cigar...

The TYPE of calories consumed is paramount. Drop the sugar & refined carbs. They up the body's insulin production which is the 'fat-storing' hormone. Go low carb, and get most of those carbs from healthy veggies. The excess weight will begin to fall off. I've lost almost nine pounds since March 11th. It is not the fat you eat that makes you fat. It is the sugar & refined carbs.

...and also what crazywok said about some medications. Totally true.

The type of calories actually don't matter when doing a calculation of how many calories a person needs to maintain, lose, or gain weight.

If you give me your current weight, height, gender, activity level, your target weight, and target date, I can tell you how many calories you can consume and hit that goal. It doesn't matter if those calories are Twinkies or salads. Weight loss can be achieved in healthy or unhealthy ways but it doesn't mean the basic caloric math is wrong.

This has been proven in labs time and time again. All of what you said is fantastic and you can lose more weight at a faster pace but the math doesn't lie and is a definite way to achieve your goals, no matter what.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I am six foot two and two hundred sixty five pounds. Since I haven't worked in many years I have gotten fatter. I used to be skinny and very strong when I was two hundred fifty five pounds. I have lost some of the muscle now. I was a construction worker back then. I would have qualified as obese even though I could lift something that was three hundred pounds and toss it in the truck. Hauling and stacking cement blocks all day was not a problem

Even now being fat, I can move around like I did when I was young. I have to eat more calming chemistry now to control my epilepsy I got about thirteen years ago.

I used to think the people who went to gyms and thought they were in good shape were wimps. They usually did not last half a day in construction, their muscles were not able to be used in other than the way they were training them to work. I won't say they are inferior though, they just should not be carrying bundles of shingles up a ladder or trying to do some of the heavy duty jobs that are out there or they may get hurt. You have to twist a lot with weight while doing some of these jobs.

As long as you can move around easily, it does not matter what a person's weight is. My biggest problem is the damage I did to my back over the years. It heals within ten years, but tends to fuse a lot from the body immobilizing the joint. It does tend to cause pain when I bend, but it is a lot less than when it freely moved. The two hernias suck pretty bad, the repair did not work well at all.

I don't know about you guys, but I like being able to carry two bushels of potatoes around and being able to grab a two hundred pound piece of plate steel and toss it on the sawhorses.
edit on 11-4-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Dont overlook psychological problems.

Sure, on the face of eat people could just 'eat better'. But it really isn't that simple.

Some people have serious disorders, misunderstood disorders. It's not about controlling diet when you can't control your brain.

It's almost a form of self harm.

You make a valid thread but overlook a very important and sensitive point.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yes, carb free is good for mind and body. Very good. But I have my doubts long term.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Restricted
Another thread in very poor taste. Let sleeping dogs lie.

No one has any business telling others why they are overweight. It is presumptuous to dictate to others how best to manage this problem.

All you've done by starting this thread is to provide yet another platform to bash people already ostracized by society.

Not sure where I have personally attacked any members.

If your 400lbs and happy good on you.

Just dont claim its down to anything but over eating and under exercising.

Maybe they're "Big Boned" lol

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Or maybe they've previously suffered a trauma when younger and it's a subconscious coping mechanism? Maybe deep down they don't want to be fat but can't stop eating. Like an anorexic can't eat.

Look, I hate to preach but this thread is like a primary school piece of graffiti. Very superficial and simple.

For the record I'm 5'8" and 11-12 stone. But I understand why some people become fat.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Dont overlook psychological problems.

Sure, on the face of eat people could just 'eat better'. But it really isn't that simple.

Some people have serious disorders, misunderstood disorders. It's not about controlling diet when you can't control your brain.

It's almost a form of self harm.

You make a valid thread but overlook a very important and sensitive point.

I have added that point.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Sorry, I read only your opening post.

To be honest, I was shocked when I saw it was your user name making this post and overlooking such a matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join