It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Publishing Gossip: Do you think your favourite author uses a ghostwriter?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Can´t really tell.. not my type of books, this is where my sophistication ends can´t tell a single writer of those books
..( have no experience reading these ).

a reply to: Atsbhct
Yes, he has those all.. he might not use ghostwriters as he is not in need of cash or fame. I doubt people will ever forget him.
Well J.K Rowlings have had her burn outs.. might be her

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Annee

So you're going to tell us the name?

NO!

There is nothing to gain with this one.

What a contradiction.

An author makes a huge career out of a ghostwritten book, and you know the ghostwriter.

If you wanna play "twist and shout" - - have at it.

There is nothing in the context of what was written for the author I know that will cause harm. Its not that kind of book.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Wow, interesting thread! I had no idea about these ghost writers.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

You're a great writer, NightStar. You might enjoy ghostwriting.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It's fascinating, but I don't see a problem. Ghost writers know what they are getting into, and they get paid for it. I'd happily take the gig. You can call me Adolphus Funkenhauser if you like, so long as you pay me.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Yu can take a gig. I think only one person in the thread thought there was an issue with it. A job is a job.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Don't any of these YA "ghost writers" author their own books?

I mean if they're good enough to be published under an established author's name...and they work for, or know the inside-out of the big publisher world -- how hard would it be for them to get their own work going?

Getting noticed by the big publishers is the huge hurdle, these guys already WORK and do contract work for the publishers.

Hell, there's enough terrible self-published work out there (as everything fancies themselves amazing novelists). We can always use more talented, quality books.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

A lot of ghost writers use it as an opportunity to get noticed, for sure.

Honestly, there are a LOT of really crappy fiction being self published, but a lot of those better writers could pick up gigs ghost writing YA novels because the goal is merely to create a slapped together outline for the editor to flesh out and conform.

I think if writers who are self publishing (don't get me wrong, some do great at it, or great enough) put in the research and time to find a suitable publisher, they could get published in house. There's someone for everyone. The real key to a good book is the right people to help you once you've written it.

Publishing on Amazon is one thing, some authors get seriously scammed by brick and mortar self publishers unfortunately.

Another key is self promotion. Unless you're a whiz at self promotion, self publishing isn't for you. Books rarely promote themselves.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't know if this is exactly what you are talking about, but I have noticed something with the Lit-RPG genre. A LOT of authors use a name like D.B. Johnson, or A.S. Softly, F.U. White. Granted a lot of the genres authors tend to be Russian, or eastern bloc at least so that might factor into it.

Actually if you have any insight into my thoughts I would like to hear them. Most likely coincidence or a Russian thing I am guessing though.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

Maybe a Russian thing. I don't have any experience with the Russian industry.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

No worries, I think you are right. On the topic though I have always really enjoyed conversing through email with most of my favorite authors. Tim Dorsey even sent me an autographed hat and book just because I told him my father and I read and loved his books.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join