It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whould you get in this if I told you it goes to the moon?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
According to this BBC article, the thickness of the LM crew compartment was just 0.012 inches (or 0.3 mm), the equivalent of approximately three layers of kitchen foil. www.bbc.co.uk...

How did they even assemble this thing?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
According to this BBC article, the thickness of the LM crew compartment was just 0.012 inches (or 0.3 mm), the equivalent of approximately three layers of kitchen foil. www.bbc.co.uk...

Think 3.5x the thickness of a soda can instead of bacofoil. It was fairly tough stuff.

Plus, you've only got to hold in 5 PSI, about a third of normal atmospheric pressure. 0.3mm of the alloy they used would have sufficed for 10x that, more or less.

It would have been more than strong enough to stand on directly in 1G. You could have taken a screwdriver to it and made a hole if you really worked at it.

eta: you have to understand that every gram counts. The last MSFC design we did we were paring insulation thicknesses and routing out unused PCB area to shave weight. You absolutely cannot just chuck in more skin thickness without it being an engineering or crew safety issue.
edit on 7-4-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorPatternfish

Lets face it rather a few of us would hazard the journey in one of these should it be capable of making it to the Moon.

Be a tight fit all the same.

edit on 7-4-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorPatternfish
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Sorry if I got the name of it wrong.

I typed Apollo Moon Lander 13 in Google and it gave me that image, so I guess it must be true?

Whatever its correct title is. NASA is convincing everyone it went to the moon.

That's because we DID go.

Sorry, but this idiocy has had it's day and been proven wrong so many times that if you STILL believe we didn't go, you are living completely in Fantasy Land.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

if you STILL believe we didn't go, you are living completely in Fantasy Land.

You realize that the internet IS fantasy land ?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

originally posted by: Bedlam

Can't you just buy a telescope that would be able to zoom enough to see the landing site and the flag?

Actually, no. There's a maximum amount of detail any telescope can give you, based on its aperture and the wavelength of light you're looking with.

No matter what magnification or how perfect the lenses are, you can't get better resolution. Even lunar orbital telescopes would have trouble seeing the site in any detail, much less an Earth ground based scope.

Damn, that's a shame. I was hoping we could put it to bed once and for all.

FYI. This HAS been put to bed, tucked in, read a bedtime story and been given a kiss.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Lets face it rather a few of us would hazard the journey in one of these should it be capable of making it to the Moon.

Be a tight fit all the same.

Is that a quad-amputee Minion missing an eye(or two), clothing and hair?
Or what?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
It seems that faking the video most likely wasn't possible at the time.

Strange, Mythbusters (not a big fan actually), came to the conclusion that it could have been faked, but there is no definitive proof so they ultimately ruled against the moon hoax just because they didn't think it was realistic. Good video!

The Mythbusters were an entertainment program. There was a LOT of bad science on there. Dont take anything they concluded seriously.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015
a reply to: 3danimator2014

ahem what? what are you talking about? They left a dude back there to pan the camera. Did you see that one? It's good, check it out.

What im talking about is watch this video (and learn something):

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: theboarman
a reply to: butcherguy

there are some basic questions about the holocaust that aparently cant be asked because someone will call you a denier, even on a site whos saying is deny ignorance , just because you have questions about something doesnt make you a denier , but the op went about it all wrong.

You are absolutely right. It doesn't. If you have a smart, intelligent question that is...

What would you call people who ask idiotic questions? Questions that have been answered time and time again? People who refuse to listen to the answers that involve some basic science and maths and common sense?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Ingeniously!

When I first saw pictures like this, I thought that they had formed the skin to the right shape, and then added the ribs, or that they built the rib framework and the attached the inner skin to it, like you would build a ship.

The reality is far more interesting and clever (and stronger): The skin & ribs are a single block of aluminum! They milled-down the sections between the ribs to the desired skin thickness. They did this for each section of hull, then welded the sections together at strong edges.

Here are pictures of the pieces coming together with diagrams of where the sections fit.

Grumman went onto use the same technique to build the F-14 Tomcat.

edit on 7-4-2016 by Saint Exupery because: I am never satisfied. "Curious Twiddler", remember?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

Ingeniously!

When I first saw pictures like this, I thought that they had formed the skin to the right shape, and then added the ribs, or that they built the rib framework and the attached the inner skin to it, like you would build a ship.

The reality is far more interesting and clever (and stronger): The skin & ribs are a single block of aluminum! They milled-down the sections between the ribs to the desired skin thickness. They did this for each section of hull, then welded the sections together at strong edges.

Here are pictures of the pieces coming together with diagrams of where the sections fit.

Grumman went onto use the same technique to build the F-14 Tomcat.

FASCINATING. Thanks for that info

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Yes it does look rather minion shaped but no its a toy container you get with Kinder Surprise eggs.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Why would the government tell you what tech they have. They are alway 10 years ahead

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Yes it does look rather minion shaped but no its a toy container you get with Kinder Surprise eggs.

Danke!
Now I know vat it is!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychicCroMag
Armstrong said when the lander was ready to leave the moon he hit the toggle switch to start the engines and the switch broke off falling back inside the panel so he stuck in a ball point pen which ignited the motors!! "come on man"

Were you alive at the time? That's how technology was back then. Buttons were simple. They often just had a small tube connected that pushed the button on the inside. During the 80s and earlier buttons would fall off devices constantly and you could always stick a pen in to push the contact. I remember having to fix my dad's stereo multiple times like that. As tech guy, that actually makes perfect sense.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

I remember sorting out cassette tapes with pens after splicing the tape back together. That was in the 80s and 90s.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
FYI. This HAS been put to bed, tucked in, read a bedtime story and been given a kiss.

I agree but plenty of people ignore anything that conflicts with their view, so the only chance they'll change their mind is seeing it themselves. They are just like Young earth creationists and flat earth society in that sense.

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
The Mythbusters were an entertainment program. There was a LOT of bad science on there. Dont take anything they concluded seriously.

Yeah, I agree completely. I'll never forget the episode where they tested the "sinking ships cause folks to be sucked down (not really sucked down, but have less density because of big air pockets)" myth, and tested it in a swimming pool.... I just sat there shaking me head.

edit on 4 7 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I think you give our government way too much credit to be able to pull off such a lie and for so long.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Schmoe1223

You think the government had something to do with this ?

The keyboard warriors who claim they would go up in this RIGHT NOW, are very brave people!

They want off this planet at all costs! I get that!

What an adventure !!

But for all the realists out there, including NASA, it is just a weak attempt at suicide.....

When another 40 years passes and still not even ONE more attempt has been made, with nothing but great excuses, do you think they will still be so sure we went ????

OF COURSE THEY WILL !!!

BECAUSE CANT HIDE TRUTH!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join