It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polygamous Mormon cult members believe the apocalypse is coming with release of leader Warren Jeffs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Is that like calling a ratell a honey badger? 😉

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: olaru12

Didn't the world already ended in 2000 and 2012?

1912, 1918, 1977, 1988, 1993, 1994, 2011, 2013 and sometime in 2016, 2017 also predicted, 2021. Take your pick most likely they are all wrong.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

It was the standard teaching of Joseph Smith and the LDS up until the 1960's. Then they made some changes in the book of Mormon, doctrine and Covenants and in Pearls of Wisdom since then to no longer reflect that teaching.

edit on 3-4-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

It was the standard teaching of Joseph Smith and the LDS up until the 1960's. Then they made some changes in the book of Mormon, doctrine and Covenants and in Pearls of Wisdom since then to no longer reflect that teaching.

Is that in relation to the reason for skin color? If so I will admit if that's the difference in time periods I did not know that. When I was way younger I was told by older people that's what makes their idea of god different then theirs.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
God! I cannot wait till religion goes the way of the dodo bird, and we can all "sit under our own vine and fig tree" and have our own personal connection to the Divine. When each and every one of us can align our FreeWill with the Perfect DivineWill, and keep religion and preachers and Popes and Supreme Leaders and self-proclaimed Prophets out of it, the whole world will be better off, imo. Okay...rant over.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
God! I cannot wait till religion goes the way of the dodo bird, and we can all "sit under our own vine and fig tree" and have our own personal connection to the Divine. When each and every one of us can align our FreeWill with the Perfect DivineWill, and keep religion and preachers and Popes and Supreme Leaders and self-proclaimed Prophets out of it, the whole world will be better off, imo. Okay...rant over.

It's not going anywhere. The real question is: what will it look like in 200 (or 2000) years? I don't see human beings in general as evolving much in this respect. Humans have always believed in some pretty wacky things. For some people, it is the only thing in their life stopping them from (personally) killing other people, or raping, or stealing. I don't see the end of religion as a positive thing at all, so long as human beings (in general) are wired to be human beings.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I was raised in the LDS church...black people could not hold their priesthood....
were considered the children of Cain, who killed Able....
They figured the USA would hang by the thread of the Mormon priesthood way back then but Romney lost.....

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

That is relationship to the doctrine of the dark skinned people who are said to be spirit souls of those who fought with Satan against Christ in heaven.

edit on 3-4-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

A belief system no less ridiculous than "Xenu used space DC10's to dump the souls of his opponents into volcanos."

Which is (part of) why humans are so gullible.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Many Christians think that Mormonism in its entirety is a cult. Romney is a Mormon, so....

Mormons are basically Christians with some differences in beliefs.

There are at least 1500 different Christian sects in America. ALL believe Jesus Christ is their savior - - but, have differences.

The official name is: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

There have always been black people in the "Mormon" church. They just couldn't hold office.

Let's not compare how Mormon's treated blacks compared to the Christian south.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
I was raised in the LDS church...black people could not hold their priesthood....
were considered the children of Cain, who killed Able....
They figured the USA would hang by the thread of the Mormon priesthood way back then but Romney lost.....

It's extremely well organized. I like how they have those living in the same area go to church at the same time.

I completely enjoyed myself being part of the Mormon church for about 5 years.

There is a lot I loved about it.

Being Patriarchal and anti-gay was not OK with me.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Do you guys see how the OP was successful in associating this story with the mainstream LDS church, as was the intention from the get-go?

We're now discussing race in the priesthood, which has absolutely nothing to do with the fundamentalist cult this thread is supposedly (*wink*) about. It's turned into a Mormon-bashing thread.

Gee, who saw that coming?

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Do you guys see how the OP was successful in associating this story with the mainstream LDS church, as was the intention from the get-go?

We're now discussing race in the priesthood, which has absolutely nothing to do with the fundamentalist cult this thread is supposedly (*wink*) about. It's turned into a Mormon-bashing thread.

Gee, who saw that coming?

I personally make very little distinction between a cult and a "religion". The only real difference is methodology; they're all backed by the same nonsense.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

I personally make very little distinction between a cult and a "religion". The only real difference is methodology; they're all backed by the same nonsense.

Call it whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that the intent of the thread was to use the beliefs of a fringe offshoot religion (just for you) to justify s# all over the mainstream one.

It's underhanded. Obvious, but underhanded and reprehensible.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

Call it whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that the intent of the thread was to use the beliefs of a fringe offshoot religion (just for you) to justify s# all over the mainstream one.

It's underhanded. Obvious, but underhanded and reprehensible.
I'm pretty sure the intent of the OP was to point out another pointless doomsday prophecy brought to the public by a cult.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

Then why are people talking about the racial issues of a different cult?

Because the point of the thread was to s# on Mormons. That's why.

Again. Totally obvious and disgusting.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I don't think that came from the OP.

But, you know, someone always has to throw it in whenever Mormons are mentioned.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I don't like any religion that wants to control people thru guilt and fear. I guess that's most of them!! Why should I cut Mormonism any slack?

edit on 3-4-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Off-topic-ness aside, what's wrong with discussing the obvious social inequalities built into any given modern-day religious sect? What's disgusting about pointing out that a religion has discrimination as part of it's M.O.? I mean, if the front page of ATS is any indication, that's pretty much what we do here, albeit mostly about Islam.

At the end of the day, is not discrimination really what religion is all about? The FLDS guys discussed in the OP uphold most of the principles laid out in "mainstream" Mormonism, except that they double down on the polygamy and the whole age-of-consent thing. Mainstream Mormonism discriminates against blacks and apparently other sects of Mormonism. Mainstream Christianity has all kinds of variants of discrimination, particularly, but not restricted to, discrimination against any nonChristians.

Rejecting the Doomsday prophecy (and all the other polygamy stuff) in the OP is where the thread started, but I can see why it flowed to where it has.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Many Christians think that Mormonism in its entirety is a cult.

And many Christians don't.
Choose a side -- We all must have a "side", now, right?

edit on 4/3/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join