It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

28 Overdoses, 6 Deaths From Street Drugs in Sacramento

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Sacramento Bee

It is an emergency. From what we’re being told from poison control officials, this is a spike in number of incidents in a short period of time,” said Dr. Olivia Kasirye, Sacramento County public health officer.

So basically people have been buying drugs off the street that look like norcos but are actually fentanyl tablets made to look like norcos. Fentanyl is many times stronger than morphine and heroin. The weird thing is, why would drug dealers be trying to kill their clients? Also fentanyl is incredibly dangerous to manufacture.

Whoever is manufacturing it, they have to have dried it, powderized it and put it in a capsule. It would be dangerous to be manufacturing it because inhalation could potentially kill you. It’s incredibly potent.” Read more here: www.sacbee.com...=cpy

"From what we are hearing, people are taking one to two pills,” Kasirye said. “In a matter of minutes, they're becoming unconscious."

Abc 10

It could be the dealers don't know that the drugs are actually fentanyl because why would they knowingly kill their customer base. Also based on the fact that fentanyl is a much stronger drug, why would they be selling it for the same price as the norcos they sell? It seems to me that someone knew what they were doing and they're doing it for a reason, but at the same time whoever did this had to know what they were doing as it's very dangerous to manufacture. The sad thing is that with so many laws about pain prescriptions and pharmacies and doctors not prescribing them as much, that people resort to buying drugs on the street and this is what can happen from that.
edit on 30-3-2016 by ML8715 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It happens daily in thousands of cities across the country. Drug dealers are spiking heroin with fentanyl in order to have people OD. That way junkies hear "pure #" is on the streets. More drugs sold. Its beyond an epidemic. You heard a touch about it when the presidential nominee's toured MA NH. I had a friend die.

edit on America/ChicagoWed, 30 Mar 2016 20:17:11 -0500Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:17:11 -05002016-03-30T20:17:11-05:00k by errck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
A lot of assumptions being made considering this

Sacramento County Coroner Kim Gin said she could not confirm the exact causes of death.

“I don’t have the causes of death as yet on any of the possible overdose deaths,” she said. “Until the examinations are complete and the toxicology results back, the causes of deaths will be pending.”

Could be a bad batch of something legally prescribed?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ML8715

Sounds like natural selection to me.

I was reading a thread today - stuff from Reddit - about vacations gone bad. One guy said that is cousin was somewhere in Europe - maybe Spain - and they tried to score coc aine on the street. The dealer sold them some kind of laxative in powder form. They went back to their hotel room, snorted it up and spent the next three days taking shifts on the toilet.

You stupid enough to buy crap off the street... Oh, well.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Oops ... double post.
edit on 2016 3 30 by incoserv because: double post

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Bizarre, and reeks of being purposeful and not by small timers (if it's truly being done with fentanyl.) For what purpose, I don't know.

Also, norcos don't come in a capsule form, as far as I know, so anyone taking them probably knows they're taking something with questionable ingredients. In other words, desperate junkies (some of whom are because their long term, heavy dose scripts were pulled, thanks to the FDA/DEA, who did it in response to stupids who were overdosing.)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

One of my buddies OD'd yesterday... my cousin OD'd when she was 21 in '06, best friend OD'd in 2014 two days before his 24th bday, more people than I can count on one hand all from heroin - all under the age of 25. I myself problems with this crap - it' truly is an epidemic. They are making the opiate OD-drug prescription free and on-hand with EMTs now but noone is addressing the issue of substance abuse itself and our occupation in Afghanistan has really helped the blackmarket for opiates and more than one of my Marines/other military specialty friends have told me when they were in Afghanistan they spent durations around the poppy fields - make of that what you will
edit on 30-3-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk
I'm pretty sure legally prescribed Fentanyl is only made in the form of a patch that is worn for three days.

It is a very potent drug a and is administered via gel in a patch worn on the skin in MICROGRAMS.
And is only prescribed to opiate tolerant patients.

Casual users would die if they took as little as 25 micrograms. It suppresses breathing and heart rate until death occurs.
Usually within less than 25 minutes (If taken orally). If mixed into heroin and injected or smoked death comes within a few minutes.

Norcos (Hydrocodone) is delivered in pill form in grams.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is an unfortunate effect from drugs being illegal and the only way to get them is through dealers, which many wouldn't care about the quality of their products, they only want to profit off their drugs of questionable origin.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure legally prescribed Fentanyl is only made in the form of a patch that is worn for three days.

It is a very potent drug a and is administered via gel in a patch worn on the skin in MICROGRAMS.
And is only prescribed to opiate tolerant patients.

Casual users would die if they took as little as 25 micrograms. It suppresses breathing and heart rate until death occurs.
Usually within less than 25 minutes (If taken orally). If mixed into heroin and injected or smoked death comes within a few minutes.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spader

Actually milligrams. Fentanyl the size of a grain of salt is enough to kill 10 men if not opiate tolerant. Very dangerous drug if not measured and diluted properly. You have to have special scale capable of microgram or better readings. These scales can weigh the oil from your fingerprint if you touch the scale inside.
edit on 30/3/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

There likely is loss of government revenue somewhere that is prompting all of this sudden "we care" garbage.

Take a sledgehammer (not really, don't! ) and aim for your kneecaps first. Strike them (again, not really, please don't) with as much might as you can muster. Then immediately strike your ankles, then elbows (ask for help on this one ,'but not really'), then hips, neck, spine, tailbone, and be one with that pain...count to 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....then repeat (not really!) over and over again, 24/7 for 10 loooong years, knowing this is your future as well as your present, because there is no cure for what you got. Your only aid in the intense pain is medication. Not too much and, pray to your maker, not too little.

This level of continuous, mindless pain is a daily life reality for millions of people in this country. Worldwide.

So, before anyone wants too feel sorry for and focus to help those who succumb to willful drug addiction... at the expense of those persons who already lead a harder and outright near impossible life by struggle with level 7 and higher pain due to medical conditions not of their making(paused for breath),...stop! have mercy and think about what this means for chronic and terribly intense pain sufferers!

Taking away from them is not an answer. In doing this, I predict a much higher suicide rate.

The needs of the many, afterall. If you doubt me, spend a week visiting your local VA hospital inpatients. Then spend 12 hours in your local chemotherapist floor. (wear a mask, please, and frequent the hand sanitizer stand that was put there for your use) for a reality check.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

You raised some great questions here. Why would the drug dealers be trying to kill their users? Exactly! What's the deal with that?

I was talking to this guy last week who owns a drug rehab center in Florida and he was telling me that drug addicts know the stuff is laced and they go flying out of the doors to get any batch that they hear is laced with that deadly stuff. So I asked him why would that be? If they know they're going to die? Why do they want it? It dosen't make any sense.

And he agreed, but that's what they do. They know it will be especially potent and they're not thinking in terms of OD'ing.

Heroin is just so disgustingly addictive. Addicts' behavior is truly hard to understand.

I think addiction research should focus on the brain and how to stop those pleasure centers from lighting up.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse
You are absolutely correct. My mistake. If someone took hydrocodone measured in grams instead of milligrams they would drop pretty quickly.

Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Spader

here [ UK ] we have " lolipops " - literally a lozenge on a stick - for causalty pain management in situations where IV would be difficult .

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I swear I hadn't heard of this stuff until 1.5-2 years ago. And the first instance of me hearing about it was in relation to overdoses. From what I understand, it's mainly for pain management for cancer patients? How the hell did it become so widespread so fast?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The real problem is that drugs are illegal.

Using substances is around since the first people walked on this planet. Or even before, because even animals like to get high. Dolphins suck pufferfishs, even passing them around like a bong. Apes, Elephants and many other animals like to get high on fermented alcoholised fruits.

Drugs are consumed in every country, even if there is a death penalty on it.
Someone who is addicted will do literally everything to get the next fix.
If they can't get pure stuff they will go to extremes.

For instance in Russia Krokodile is a huge thing. People bus cough medications, boil it up with nasty chemicals (not going into details, but it involves nasties like gasoline, battery acid and the like).
The stuff is basically poison. It s called Krokodile because it literally eats up the consumer, skin falling of, necrosis and the like. (There are youtube videos about it - they are to had to watch).

A person who is on that level is slowly committing suicide - he does not care about the law.

So prohibition does not work. It does not prevent consumption. The only people profiting from prohibition are the dealers and producersof drugs.

Portugal made all drugs legal, about 15 years ago. Consumption and possesion of drugs are legal. All statistics are very positive:

- less crimes committed
- less overdoses
- quality of the drugs improved

We see the same with weed in the states, where it went legal. Heck even the tax incomes went up tremendously.

Long story short: Legalise all drugs is the only solution.

Still: on a personal level: staying out of drugs is the best way to go.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Wow this is crazy.

Man this is the drug war in action.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

We have them here as well. The intent is quick release and metabulation of the medication by mucousis.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I never understood the lacing with fentanyl thing.... it's basically like putting Saffron on a McDonalds cheeseburger and then still only selling it for a dollar. Doesn't make any sense.

Basically my question is this.. if you have large quantities of fentanyl, why not just sell the fentanyl? One of the most potent opiates with the cleanest high is being treated like it's some unwanted chemical being added to more important products to increase potency. Again, it just doesn't make much sense.

edit on 31-3-2016 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join