It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't Black People Get Out of the Ghetto?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I am really curious on this subject. Why can't black people seem to get out of the ghetto? Usually when you bring this subject up, there are a few reason.

1. Lack of education
2. Racism

Let me address these excuses...

1. Lack of Education... My parents took my brother and I to the united states in 1990, with two hundreds bucks in their possession in the form of their wedding bands. Nothing else. They found a job that paid bare 4.25 an hour and bust their asses. Save their earnings to eventually down on a house and we moved 4 years later. They did not speak english... not gotten a college education. So they lacked education. But they got out.

2. Racism... being asian with no english. There was plenty of racism to go around. The funny thing about this was, most of it came from Black People. How does a race who are victim of racism, be racist to another race? Lack of education? Anyways, they didn't complain. They just kept their head straight and worked. Putting in their dues. Eventually asian people are seen as hard worker because we do bust out asses. Everyone is a victim of racism once in a while...

Fast forward 20 something years and my brother and I are well educated and with decent paying jobs. My parents still live in the same house we first bought. My question is, what other excuses can you use?

To me, people who can't get out of the ghetto are people who hasn't put in the dues. This country give you what you put in. I just see people who don't work but complains and demands what they need. You're not poor if you have iphones and MJ's. But that's just my two cents. Does that make a racist? I have black friends who doing really well for themselves. They don't sound or talk like the typical ones though...

Another thing I don't get is... if they don't want people to call them the N word, then why are they calling each other that. And it's all over their mainstream music. Asian people don't address each other in racist terms. Lets ban the N word, but make it cool to use it... I just don't get it.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

Excuse these too. Father loses job, leaves home from shame and kid grows up trying to earn for mom who works two jobs and is gone all day leaving kid to run streets trying anything to make a living where he falls into a gang, gets busted slinging dope, now is out of jail and reformed but has a record, no education, let alone the money to leave and start again. Nobody is going to hire a homeless, under educated, black felon…

You expect younger kids to rise above all that, maybe they aren't that strong.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Maybe because they don't care to get their **** together like 76.5% of the black community... That is if we're talking income, but if you consider working class to be ghetto then we'll call it 47.7%.

Otherwise, people choose to live in places because it's home. Their family and friends are in the ghetto.

2009 black demographics
edit on 30-3-2016 by filthyphilanthropist because: added link

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I think the answer is complacency. A while ago, there wasn't an abundance of public housing and in order for a family to survive, they worked on farms. (this is in the south, where I am) They worked like, well, slaves, and were paid little, but given some form of housing. fast forward, now, all is provided and life can be care free. (If you don't mind the meager wage)

I know a few people who rose up and got out. Funny enough, all of them are the type of person I look up to. They seem to have an extraordinary amount of drive and determination. I almost think the whole "ghetto" thing was engineered to do exactly what it has. Of course that would be a massive conspiracy all in itself. But it's not impossible, it takes work.

But in any case, your parents should be reminded of how good they did acting as role models for you and your siblings. They taught you how to survive. Don't forget to thank them.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Generational poverty is extremely difficult to combat...

I deal with it on a daily basis at my job and it's so frustrating but it's the way things are and nothing looks like it's changing, if anything things are changing for the worse

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015
Does that make a racist? I have black friends who doing really well for themselves. They don't sound or talk like the typical ones though...

'Typical ones' ?

I don't know.

I've lived in California - Southern, Central and Northern, The Pacific Northwest - Oregon, Washington, the Mid Atlantic - Maryland,Virginia.

Tell me.....

Whats does a 'Typical one' sound like?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Because whitey is trying to keep us down.
Also since I work in the ghetto almost every day it is very clear that people would rather get a government handout then put in an honest day of hard work

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Ask the president or Oprah.
Just imagine what they could have accomplished if whitey hadn't been holding them back.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I'd like to know too please, wow....????

originally posted by: SLAYER69

Does that make a racist? I have black friends who doing really well for themselves. They don't sound or talk like the typical ones though...

Whats does a 'Typical one' sound like?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Same reason white people and hispanics don't.
edit on 30-3-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Especially when it pays more.

All and all its the same for red necks and white trash where I live in the South. Why can't they get out the trailer park?

Guess what some do.

This is a completely ignorant thread. There is a while study called sociology you may learn a thing or two from. Also see urban anthropology.

Or just spout off ignorant bs.

I am a volunteer wrestling and judo coach in a tough area. I live in a middle class area. It's 50/50 black and white in SC.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Anyways, they didn't complain. They just kept their head straight and worked. Putting in their dues. Eventually asian people are seen as hard worker because we do bust out asses.

Well, there do seem to be way too many asses that need to be busted out in this country I'll give you that....

edit on 30-3-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
How did other races and nationalities that came where with little in their pockets and slim resources end up financially secure and some ultimately prosperous? How did their children attain the education many could not get back in their home country? Is it a fair comparison?

In many ways, I believe it is. Although many 1st generation immigrants were reluctant to acclimate, often communicating through their children, the basic tents they brought with them and importance of a cohesive family structure was a formula for security. Everyone contributes, education is paramount, and a strong work ethic gave many of these families a strong chance of self-sufficiency. Why is this mindset different from many who have lived here for generations?

In light of the missing parents of many black family units; fear of being ridiculed for "talking white", or taking educational paths by those in their communities, and seeing opportunities of income glamorized by ganglife as a viable income are all perceptions of "Why Can't Black People Get Out of the Ghetto?". I think it's disingenuous to blame all ills on racism, but the answers to this problem have evaded their communities for generations. It will take great efforts to rid the primary idea of ghetto and black people from the population that resides outside this realm.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
All and all its the same for red necks and white trash where I live in the South. Why can't they get out the trailer park?

Seriously, its as if some peoples only knowledge of first world poverty comes from watching 'Boyz in the hood'.

Like us "whitey's" aren't just as prone to becoming welfare dependent, lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Why Can't Black People Get Out of the Ghetto?

Well they should have GPS? I am dumbfounded?
edit on 30-3-2016 by HUMBLEONE because: RIP Rodney

edit on 30-3-2016 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I think I understand what you are saying but...
I don't know what area of the country you live in. In some areas, like where I live, the same could be said of white folks or any other race IMHO.
There are housing projects all over this small town and waiting lists years long to receive subsidised rent called section 8.
16+ % of this county lives in poverty. Population is 97% white.
Why don't they move?
My employer has a turnover rate of over 50 %...50 % !!!!!

I see all of the new people. I interact with them. They often need paperwork filled out for their SNAP benefits or housing. I don't begrudge them that but, when they quit work after a few short weeks...well, that bothers me.
It bothers me for the children. How are they going to pay their electric bill? Buy food?
What sort of role model are they being. It's their children so not really my business but you know what I mean.

Sometimes they start work and immediately ask how to climb the ladder. I tell them my advice and look forward to watching them move up in the company. I have seen this happen several times over the years (people being promoted from within).
Then 2 or 3 weeks later, I find out they've quit.

It's a smaller town so I see people I have worked with or work with now all of the time when we're out and about.
I ask what happened? The answers are always well...the old man got a job or they wanted me to do this or that and I'm not doing that for $___ an hour...or I need to stay home with the kids (which I understand).

I think the machine is broken and it spans all races.

Your story is a rags to riches good story and that is wonderful what your parents did and how they helped make you the young men that you are. Some kids, unfortunately, don't have that.
It's not THAT simple but, it's not THAT hard to figure out either.

Thanks for your story!

edit on 30-3-2016 by TNMockingbird because: forgot the whole point. 97 % white!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Based on my life experiences, I'm convinced that most black people in poor circumstances have chosen those circumstances rather than been unwillingly placed there.
For example, I temporarily moved to a certain area that happens to have a large black population. As such, when I got a job here, a large portion of the employees were black... A third to half maybe. Every day I'd see most of the white employees (most but certainly not all) busting their asses and doing hard work to get the job done as best as they could. Never have I seen one of the black employees even attempting to do a good job. Not once. There was one situation in which one of them actually spent 45 minutes pretending to do something just for the sake of not having to work. One of the managers sat with security and watched this employee screw around for that 45 minutes on camera. Another time, another of the black employees was asked to do something he didn't feel like doing, so he disappeared and apparently hid for about an hour instead of just doing it. He was ultimately fired because the manager became furious at this point. On a third occasion, two black employees were assigned to do my particular job, but they decided to screw around and barely do anything, so I was asked by other employees to go take over for them as the work was simply not getting done.
This was a job where employees had certain advancement opportunities, and I've seen employees working really hard at getting those advancements, raises and promotions... But I've never seen any of the black employees so much as try. For the most part, they would show up, screw around all shift, and expect their paycheck - assuming they didn't lose their job for being arrested, which happened. Sadly this doesn't even surprise me, as I've seen black employees walking around at work openly showing off the drugs they had in their pockets. I'm completely serious.

Remember how I said that I feel that most black people in poor circumstances are choosing their circumstances? They might complain that they have no opportunities, or that the system is keeping them down, etc etc. Well, I'd like to make two points. First, colleges here are cheap, and they take pretty much anyone. I'm not using any grants or scholarships or free money or anything, and by the time I graduate, I'm only going to owe something like $15k for a B.S. that I'll be able to make a 6 figure salary with someday. Degrees are accessible to anyone here who wants them. What I do see however is black students attending every semester and then failing out and not returning. In one of my classes, I s**t you not, one of the black students would actually lean back in his chair, sleep, and snore during class. Needless to say, I haven't seen him around since that semester ended. Not surprising considering that when it came time for him to present his big class project that every student had to do, he had nothing to present because he didn't do it.
Point two is the two jobs I've had while here - it's an area with a large black population, so accordingly, both jobs had many black employees. Black people can't say that they aren't being hired here, because they are. They just don't do the actual work or try to advance.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Then please explain to me how when a mother works two jobs to pay rent, feed and clothe the kids. Go ahead, tell her about an honest days work. Go ahead.

Bullshyte stereotypical nonsense. There are many more factors than "lazy".

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Why can't anyone get out of poverty? The reasons are as numerous as can be. All races have some percentage of poverty. This question could be posed for all groups with as many varying answers. The reasons that those of us looking in give them and their reasons are usually never the same so the divide always remains.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Then please explain to me how when a mother works two jobs to pay rent, feed and clothe the kids. Go ahead, tell her about an honest days work. Go ahead.

Bullshyte stereotypical nonsense. There are many more factors than "lazy".

Excuse me. But all that falls under whitey trying to keep us down,

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join